Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2022, 06:21 PM   #1

Palomino River Ranch - water related questions

Hello all. Newbie here. My wife and I purchased a River Ranch earlier this year and have now used it for 4 weekend trips. We are fortunate that all systens have worked perfectly and we have had absolutely no issues - although I have a few questions.

First, I was crawling around underneath the trailer last weekend and noticed a drain valve that I had not previously seen. The valve in question is not visible from the side of the trailer as it is behind the wheels, but looks identical to the fresh water drain. While under the trailer, I opened it slightly - there was a fair amount of pressure and what came out appeared to be antifreeze, perhaps watered down. I shut the valve and decided I would deal with it later. Heading home the next day, I emptied the black and grey tanks, and the fresh water tank and returned the trailer to our storage lot where I crawled under and opened the valve in question. There was still a bit of pressure, and probably about a quart or slightly more of the water/antifreeze came out. Any idea of what this valve is for?

Second, I am supposed to have a 75 gallon fresh water tank. But the last two times I filled it with 65 to 68 gallons of water (i have one of those meters attached to the fill hose, which seems accurate per my tests) and yet when I was done a significant amount of water flowed out of the overfill release valve on the top of the tank. In both cases I had emptied the freshwater tank at the end of our prior use using the fresh water drain valve. Is the tank smaller than 75 gals or am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.
GDIET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDIET View Post
Hello all. Newbie here. My wife and I purchased a River Ranch earlier this year and have now used it for 4 weekend trips. We are fortunate that all systens have worked perfectly and we have had absolutely no issues - although I have a few questions.

First, I was crawling around underneath the trailer last weekend and noticed a drain valve that I had not previously seen. The valve in question is not visible from the side of the trailer as it is behind the wheels, but looks identical to the fresh water drain. While under the trailer, I opened it slightly - there was a fair amount of pressure and what came out appeared to be antifreeze, perhaps watered down. I shut the valve and decided I would deal with it later. Heading home the next day, I emptied the black and grey tanks, and the fresh water tank and returned the trailer to our storage lot where I crawled under and opened the valve in question. There was still a bit of pressure, and probably about a quart or slightly more of the water/antifreeze came out. Any idea of what this valve is for?

Second, I am supposed to have a 75 gallon fresh water tank. But the last two times I filled it with 65 to 68 gallons of water (i have one of those meters attached to the fill hose, which seems accurate per my tests) and yet when I was done a significant amount of water flowed out of the overfill release valve on the top of the tank. In both cases I had emptied the freshwater tank at the end of our prior use using the fresh water drain valve. Is the tank smaller than 75 gals or am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sometimes they include the gallons of water held by the water heater in these numbers. How big a hot water tank do you have (or is it tankless)

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:37 PM   #3

Thanks so much. But it is indeed tankless.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks so much. But it is indeed tankless.

OK great, it just says on the webpage though it has a 12 gallon water heater tank, but that is not always accurate.

https://palominorv.com/fifth-wheels/river-ranch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-29 at 18-41-57 River Ranch Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quality RVs since 19.png
Views:	68
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	275702  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:53 PM   #5

Thanks again. Ours is the 2021 model with the tankless water heater (and the air conditioner in the basement rather than 3 roof-mounted units like the current year model).
Old 06-30-2022, 05:28 AM   #6

Could it be the supply line for the fridge and ice maker? Ours has a drain valve like a freshwater drain.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Could it be the supply line for the fridge and ice maker? Ours has a drain valve like a freshwater drain.
Many thanks. Hadn’t thought of that but I suspect that may be it!
Old 06-30-2022, 09:06 PM   #8

Still using the old 12 gallon figure

Quote:
Thanks again. Ours is the 2021 model with the tankless water heater (and the air conditioner in the basement rather than 3 roof-mounted units like the current year model).
Sounds like they switched from the 12 gallon water heater to tankless but forgot to update the brochure.

I expect this doesn't bother you much, but even if it did, there's a clause in the contract that states that Forest River has the right to change equipment and specifications at any time, so you can't take any action.,
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:35 PM   #9

other way around

[QUOTE=Larry-NC;2755723]Sounds like they switched from the 12 gallon water heater to tankless but forgot to update the brochure.

more like the other way around. I have an early 21 model it has a tankless heater. ( which sucks , if your dry camping you have to let it RUN awhile to get hot water which waste water that a dry camper cant afford to waste ) Also the 21,s had lots of AC issues ( under sized & other issues ) so I believe on the 23 models they went back to roof air.
chadjones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:36 PM   #10

took a full year to get all the bugs worked out of mine. ALOT of issues. but now its pretty good shape.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:29 PM   #11

Shower Mi$er?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjones99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Sounds like they switched from the 12 gallon water heater to tankless but forgot to update the brochure.
more like the other way around. I have an early 21 model it has a tankless heater. ( which sucks , if your dry camping you have to let it RUN awhile to get hot water which waste water that a dry camper cant afford to waste ) Also the 21,s had lots of AC issues ( under sized & other issues ) so I believe on the 23 models they went back to roof air.
Do you have one of those Shower Mi$ers in your shower? It lets you run water from the shower taps, but diverts the water back to the fresh water tank. When it hot water reaches the shower, you flip the diverter handle and the water comes out the shower head.

If not, maybe you are a candidate. The valve replacement is straightforward, but you need to run a new line from valve to fresh water tank.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:12 PM   #12

No i do not , just a regular show head & valve set up, but it takes a good 10 sec of running water to get hot water to you and if you turn it off at all, then back on you get cold water ( right away ) then wait another 10 sec for hot water. that's if you don't get the Beep , beep beep of the water heater not coming on
Old 07-17-2022, 06:19 PM   #13

Value of a ShowerMi$er

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadjones99 View Post
No i do not , just a regular show head & valve set up, but it takes a good 10 sec of running water to get hot water to you and if you turn it off at all, then back on you get cold water ( right away ) then wait another 10 sec for hot water. that's if you don't get the Beep , beep beep of the water heater not coming on
That's the additional value of a ShowerMi$er. You don't turn it off. You just divert it to the fresh water tank until you want it on at the showerhead again.

Unless you always camp with full hookups, you should have a ShowerMi$er if you have a tankless heater.

Thought about retrofitting one?

Tags
palomino, question, questions, water