Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #1

Possible New Columbus Owner

I have been reading forums on multiple manufacturers to assist in my search for a new unit to replace my current Colorado 32QB-M5-BS fifth wheel. It has been a really good mid-profile fifth wheel for the money, but now it is time to move up, move on. The kiddos are grown and gone now, so I don't need the bunk space in the rear office any longer, and the single a/c unit and 30 amp electrical setup was difficult to deal with, especially on hot days.

We are currently looking for a replacement unit that has 50 amp service, dual a/c, thermal insulation package, aluminum bonded frame, larger fridge & microwave, bathroom without the small corner shower, washer/dryer capability, and a quality construction/reputation. We have been actively searching online and at over seven dealers for the 'perfect unit' to meet our needs.

We have looked at Big Horn, Big Country, Columbus, Solitude, Durango and others. The Big Horn dealer says to stay away from Columbus and Solitude... the Solitude dealer says to stay away from Big Horn, Big Country, Columbus and Durango.... The Durango dealer said to stay away from the others... I just need a straight answer.

What are the major issues with the Columbus 320RS, and has the factory corrected the issues in newer production runs? I read the forums, so I have to be concerned with the following:

Leaks? Suspension? Electrical? Workmanship in general? Does the manufacturer stand behind the product? Is there a dealer network in all states to support any issues that may arise?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. My DW absolutely fell in love with the Columbus, and that's where I am leaning as well.
PioneerClaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #2

If your primary concerns are:

Leaks? Suspension? Electrical? Workmanship in general? Does the manufacturer stand behind the product? Is there a dealer network in all states to support any issues that may arise?

You may want to take a look at Cedar Creek. They have a variety of price points and quality levels. More importantly, they have been around much longer than the Columbus line, with arguably better factory support and overall quality. For empty nesters, they provide good quality in smaller fifth wheels (33-38ft) which is often hard to find.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #3

I concur with the above statements, when I bought my Columbus it was my feeling that it was an upper mid-range unit. While that may be so.. when discussing floor plan and feature function, I think it is "just another unit" when it comes to quality. After two+ years I see degradation in some of the cabinet plastic lamination, things like trim fastenings (and a pet peeve of mine,,,the plastic "line" terminations for the window shades) the screen door plastic "slider" is another "cheapie" thing that get's my goat. Again, all small things that can be fixed, improved etc...
And I do admit to buying this unit at a very low price (when looking at list)
but if I had it all to do over again?? Hmmm,,,not sure????

Thanks for listening...and good luck with your decision
DruR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:10 PM   #4

Prior to our Columbus 320RS, we had never owned a FR product. We really loved the C-320 floor plan but they were new in 2012 so I followed their reviews for over 2 yrs & also looked at other manufacturers with basically the same floor plan. We ordered our 2015 320 this past Jan. We have a little over 11K miles on it & the 1st 9400 miles was a 2 month trip. The only major issue has been the Lippert axle grease seal leaks that have occurred across multiple brands. I have heard mostly good things about Cedar Creek & have been in multi million dollar Rv's that could have used a lot more QC. There are a few horror stories on every brand & I think all RV's need more QC. There are a few individual features other brands have that I wish Columbus offered; but we purchased the C-320 because it had the most features we wanted, for the $$. We are all different & have different budgets but so far we do not regret our decision. Good luck with your's.
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320RS
"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
TJB

We have a 2013 Columbus 320 had a few small problems nothing major. We camp about 6 months a year and would buy another one. Forest River has stood behind it 100%
TJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #6

Love our 320 with residential refrigerator. It was our 6th rv in 5 years. This one is a keeper
kssportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 PM   #7

All Columbus models are on sale at Berryland right now. Just an FYI.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
Chief

We bought a 2013 320 RS in Feb last year. Really love it and have only had one issue. Passenger side living room plugs have no power. Looked underneath and saw the wiring was cut and crushed probably due to how it was routed and crushed when deploying slide. Since dealer is 25 miles away, will splice and reroute before next trip this spring. Otherwise no problems. We love the large shower.
ctbutler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #9
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have had my Columbus since September 2012, and absolutely love it. Any questions that I have had I have found the answers here or from the Columbus Owners Group on another webpage. The Columbus factory stands behind their products.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
05 Dodge 15 Columbus 340

2015 340 RK Good luck. Mine's been at a dealership 2 month's still waiting for parts and costing fr $15000.00 yes $15000.00 to fix it.
jackm567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:15 PM   #11

I have been following the Columbus brand almost daily in this forum and the Columbus Facebook group since Winter of 2012. So that is 4 years now and what I can tell you is 90-95% of Columbus owners love their RV. Dang near ALL of them have had some kind of problems with them in the 1st year. But that is normal for large 5th wheel RV that are loaded with with all the creature comforts of home no matter what brand of RV it is.

So were does that leave you for stats? 5-10% had bad experience with their Columbus RV and are always the most vocal on forum boards. Very rarely will you read about the things that go right in online media formats.
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #12

Nothing new on the parts/factory service problem front. We waited 4 months for parts, two years ago, after one to the factory installed China bombs exploded.
Appears that Palomino views the Columbus line as a cash cow. Crank them out that the lowest cost possible and as fast as possible…feed the Berkshire bottom-line.
The Columbus floorplans and unit itself are sound; it’s the execution from the factory that leaves much to be desired.
Yes, you will have problems with any RV and buying one is a gamble on whether you be lucky enough to get a good one o not. However, the number of higher severity issues coming from the Columbus line, would suggest much greater odds that you will bad one.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #13

Low Quality Components?

I was cleaning and lubricating my slide seals last summer,,,noticed an area in one seal that was defective,,,poked and prodded a little to see what was going on and a very small potion of the seal came apart in my hand,,not a big issue, "but" puts another concern in my head.

From previous Motorhome experience,,,these rubber extrusions would not come close to an "automotive spec" seal...
DruR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #14

I would never buy another Columbus due to major problems with our 2014, 340RK. Major problems in a couple areas and many smaller problems for a wide variety of issues. Unhappy with the factory because I have been waiting months for them to come get it for repairs and have been unable to use it. I will never buy Forest River again for all of these reasons.
jeb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #15

Our 2013 320rs has been by far, the most trouble free RV of the 6 prior units we have ever owned. You will find that ALL units will have some kind of issue...even the top line RVs will have something that has to be dealt with. All dealers will tell you that their units are perfect but that is just sales talk to help them sell their brand and a lot of them disappear once the sale is made and the unit is off their lot. Its not just the sale but the service when needed that determines how good an RV is. IMHO, you can't go wrong with a Columbus RV.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #16

I wouldnt buy another one

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioneerClaims View Post
I have been reading forums on multiple manufacturers to assist in my search for a new unit to replace my current Colorado 32QB-M5-BS fifth wheel. It has been a really good mid-profile fifth wheel for the money, but now it is time to move up, move on. The kiddos are grown and gone now, so I don't need the bunk space in the rear office any longer, and the single a/c unit and 30 amp electrical setup was difficult to deal with, especially on hot days.

We are currently looking for a replacement unit that has 50 amp service, dual a/c, thermal insulation package, aluminum bonded frame, larger fridge & microwave, bathroom without the small corner shower, washer/dryer capability, and a quality construction/reputation. We have been actively searching online and at over seven dealers for the 'perfect unit' to meet our needs.

We have looked at Big Horn, Big Country, Columbus, Solitude, Durango and others. The Big Horn dealer says to stay away from Columbus and Solitude... the Solitude dealer says to stay away from Big Horn, Big Country, Columbus and Durango.... The Durango dealer said to stay away from the others... I just need a straight answer.

What are the major issues with the Columbus 320RS, and has the factory corrected the issues in newer production runs? I read the forums, so I have to be concerned with the following:

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide. My DW absolutely fell in love with the Columbus, and that's where I am leaning as well.
I purchased a new 325rl in nov.and the only thing i like about it is floor plan. If I could afford to buy a different one I would paint this one yellow and park it beside the interstate for the world to see .
redusjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by redusjr View Post
I purchased a new 325rl in nov.and the only thing i like about it is floor plan. If I could afford to buy a different one I would paint this one yellow and park it beside the interstate for the world to see .

You might be suprised what you might be able to get for it on a trade. Especially if you can find a remaining 2014 on someone's lot. I did that with my Columbus 320, after owning just 8 months. If you go that route, I would suggest at least comparing other than Forest River owned products...Jayco, Thor, etc.

Tags
columbus