Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #1

Puma unleashed motorcycle loading

Will be taking delivery of a 2018 puma unleashed toy hauler, it is 38 ft. 5ver, anyone on this forum have any suggestions on loading a full dress harley. What if other devices have you used ?? Thanks for any info and suggestions.
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #2

Maybe some nice quiet pipes so you don't alienate yourself when you need help getting it loaded or unloaded in the campground or RV park.
I know this is a huge generalization but you understand my point.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #3

are you anticipating problems? If the bike bottoms out raise the front of the trailer up to lower the rear, will help the angle and decrease that.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #4

Puma unleashed

Thanks for the suggestions, I had thought of raising the front to help with ramp angle.
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Maybe some nice quiet pipes so you don't alienate yourself when you need help getting it loaded or unloaded in the campground or RV park.
I know this is a huge generalization but you understand my point.

Not all Harleys are loud. I sometimes wish campers would put quiet pipes on their four legged friends in campsites! Just a generalization.....
Roberte52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #6

Don't have a puma but had a greywolf tt and now have a Thor outlaw.
First time I loaded the Harley, the jiffy stand spring got caught on the top of ramp, there I sat half on, half off, with jiffy stand hanging. AND ALONE!
My advice; have help first time. I'm 71 and travel alone but if anyone is around I ask to stand by, because it's a controlled slide down the ramp.

Next, buy a wheel chock, makes life easier down the road.

Last if all else fails, leave the dresser in the barn and buy a side car. See picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	193307  
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trksr View Post
Don't have a puma but had a greywolf tt and now have a Thor outlaw.
First time I loaded the Harley, the jiffy stand spring got caught on the top of ramp, there I sat half on, half off, with jiffy stand hanging. AND ALONE!
My advice; have help first time. I'm 71 and travel alone but if anyone is around I ask to stand by, because it's a controlled slide down the ramp.

Next, buy a wheel chock, makes life easier down the road.

Last if all else fails, leave the dresser in the barn and buy a side car. See picture
Love your hack...Ural?

2019 FR Cherokee Wolf Pack 24pack14+
2019 Ford F250SD 4 x 4, 6.2L
2015 DL1000A ADV
2017 DR-Z400 SM
2thdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #8

Yep, it's a 2wd. Not a highway hauler, but when I take it, I look for some off road places. Having a class c now it's better for the supply runs than the bagger.
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trksr View Post
Yep, it's a 2wd. Not a highway hauler, but when I take it, I look for some off road places. Having a class c now it's better for the supply runs than the bagger.
Nice! I was going to say you need to go out and get that guy dirty!

2019 FR Cherokee Wolf Pack 24pack14+
2019 Ford F250SD 4 x 4, 6.2L
2015 DL1000A ADV
2017 DR-Z400 SM
2thdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #10
RV There Yet?

You could always make and install a flip out ramp attached to your rear ramp, gives it a little extension.

Fortunately my bikes have a little bit more ground clearance and are fairly light
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	193315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	193316  
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:38 PM   #11

Hard to say what problems you could encounter, if any. As previously mentioned you really should have assistance standing by the first time you load. I had a Vengeance toyhauler and never had a problem with anything dragging while loading. Have loaded several different Harley’s, including the Road Glide Ultra which is about as low to the ground as you’ll find.

Your biggest thing to get used to is the very short time as you start up the ramp where your feet won’t be able to touch the ground. Best thing to do is as soon as the front wheel starts up the ramp realize you are committed and just give it the gas and ride it.

Same way coming down. As soon as the front wheel touches the ramp just let it roll while riding the front brake...just a little.

I don’t know if your new rig will need ramp raising or lowering. The Vengeance line doesn’t. When I got a Tri-Glide I had to use short temporary ramps to raise the rear wheels to prevent the tail pipes from hitting the ground, but the TG has the least pipe clearance of any factory stock bike.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #12

i have the same camper, i havent loaded a bike yet but i know when i load my ranger the pitch and angle at the top of the ramp is prob half of the clearance on the machine, i have 11" ground clearance at sides in middle and i bet i have less than 6" at the crest. unloading i would deff be worried about burying the pipes in the ground. good luck.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #13

I have a Puma toyhauler and a Honda Goldwing. I’m not sure what the ground clearance difference between our bikes is, but I have never bottomed out loading or unload my bike. I did install a wheel chock in the garage and use specific Rhino straps to tie down the bike. (Link: http://a.co/d/6Evynqv) Hope this helps.
Omnipotent1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #14

Dressers

I know this thread is a few months old but I'm new here. I've had a Puma Unleashed 27-SBU TT for about 7 years now and have hauled Electraglides and Road Kings all over the country.

A few words of wisdom. As far as the loading and unloading, as long as the trailer is level you shouldn't have any issues with the Puma because of the beaver tail at the very back (the angle entering the garage area.) The first year I had mine I towed it with a hitch that kept the trailer nose low and we had issues with clearance. Since I upgraded my hitch it hasn't been a problem.

The second is to get a quality motorcycle chock. You can get one permanently mounted in the garage if you want, or one that you can remove when not in use. I have two, the first is a Condor Pit-Stop which cost me a couple hundred bucks but can hold my Harley upright without any straps. It makes strapping it down so much easier and I've never had a problem with a bike tipping over going down the road. The second one I bought was a cheap harbor freight one and even though its also one that captures the front tire, it is unstable and I have had two bikes tip over on rough roads. The limited tie downs in toy haulers means you may not get the best angle on all your straps.

I've attached a photo with my bike loaded getting ready to head to Daytona Bike Week a few years ago. We also had a Road King loaded in my TT. We are finally looking at upgrading to a 5th wheel this year although the TT has served us well over the years.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvhFRaJA...on_share_sheet
Jeeper44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
puma, motorcycle