Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2016, 02:53 AM   #1

Puma259RBSS 2011 axle seal

Hi folks,

I have noticed traces of oil/grease around the face of one of the wheels, doing a bit of investigation it appears this is caused but a worn seal or too much grease being inserted and excess dispersing. How can I work out if its just excess or an actual seal failure? If anyone knows the product code of the correct seal could the let me know in case I have to order one.

thanks
Will
will2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 05:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by will2020 View Post
Hi folks,
How can I work out if its just excess or an actual seal failure?
Will
Pull it apart and look. If you have grease on or around the backing plate and brake parts you have a bad inner seal.

I am about 99% sure your 2011 Puma has Lippert Axles. Lippert uses the cheapest single lip grease seals they can find. I have replaced a few them for people and its a well known issue.

You need to get the axles weight capacity and determine if it is a Lippert axle. A wild guess is you have 5200 lb capacity Lippert axles and the inner seals are Lippert part # 122088 which cross references to National# 442109 or Dexter # 010-054-00

Take the old seal if you can remove it without boogering it all up, and part number once you know for sure (it should have numbers etched on the seal itself), and go to NAPA. Have them cross reference it and try to get either Timken, SKF, or National. The important thing is you want a double lip seal. Sometimes cross referencing those Lippert parts is a tough nut.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #3

The back side of the axle tube should have a sticker on there... I am guessing prolly 4400 or less pounds. I just take a picture and all is well... Google the axle for parts and then source where you want to buy them.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:59 PM   #4

Most likely you DO have a seal leak. Please do not rely on the axle tag info, I talked with Al-Ko and provided the serial number and still got the wrong grease seal. They sent a 54 mm ID seal when in fact the spindle was 52mm, the reason for the leak of course.

Use a dial or digital caliper to measure the spindle at the seal contact surface (inside diameter) and the drum seal surface (outside diameter). Take this info to your local NAPA dealer and you will be surprised at the number of "oil seals" available.

Clean everything, watch a few YouTube videos on trailer axle refurbish and make it happen. Intimidating at first but after the first wheel you will feel like a pro. Pay attention to the correct way to tighten the axle nut and then check for vertical play (looseness).

eTrailer.com is a great source for parts.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, axle, puma