Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #1

Rain Water Leak Columbus 320RS

Our 2016 Columbus 320RS has leaked since we have owned it. Brought back to Camping World for the leak but since it was not raining they did not find a leak??? My fault for letting that go. In any event, the water leaks in through one of the AC return vents and a puck light in the same area. I assume the rain water is coming in through a faulty installation of the Dometic Brisk Air II 15,000 unit, which is very close to the leak points. There is no evidence of any other leak in the ceiling (except occasional drip from TV antenna crank). The antenna crank is at the other end of the RV, and on the other side. I do not expect that to be the issue as the water would have to pass five lights and three AC vents (holes in the ceiling) to get to the back. And then move to the other side of the RV. This leaking has happened 15 to 20 times, both at home and on the road.

No leaks on sunny, hot days when AC running, for days. So definitely a rain issue. Any ideas?
billngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #2

Why not get on the roof and remove the AC to see if the gasket under it is damaged or improperly installed?
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Why not get on the roof and remove the AC to see if the gasket under it is damaged or improperly installed?
Or call a mobile tech to look at it if still under warranty.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #4

Similar problem

I was experiencing a similar problem with rain water seeping in. Chased it for months. Finally I went to the RV Dealership where I purchased it from and asked them if they had the equipment to do a pressure test on my trailer which they did. Paid $200, they found a couple of leaks around the area I was experiencing the problem and sealed it up. It ended up to be between the roof membrane and front cap. Kind of pricey but in my book well worth it considering what kind of damage water penetration can cause and how frustrated I was trying to chase it down. By the way, the shop worker told me unofficially that with the longer trailers the area where the front cap meets the roof membrane is a very common place for leakage along with of course any roof penetrations. I try to crawl up on my roof at the end of the summer to reseal. HTH
rock-rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

I own a 2017 Columbus 383FBS and we had the same problem. I called in a mobile unit four times and they finally found it by removing the AC unit and found 4 extra holes where the unit is screwed down from the top that never got sealed up. The manufacturer did this depending on what type of AC unit is being installed (inside or on top).
Ginger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #6

I have a 2015 320RS and had a leak which would leak up to gallon of water during heavy rains from the return air ducts in the back of the trailer. The first time I took it in, they just re-torqued the AC unit. It still continued to leak. Next time I took it in, I made them take pictures. They pulled the unit up to find that the AC wires were laying between the unit and the roof. They tucked the wires back into the hole, and now it no longer leaks.
Dave Mun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #7

These are all great. Thanks rock, ginger and Dave. We have already torqued the ac bolts. No help. Back to the dealer armed with these comments. Thanks again.
billngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:40 PM   #8

Unless like someone else has already mentioned the dealer does a SealTest to pim point the exact point of the leak all they will probably do is charge you a lot of money and you will still have the problem.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #9

I am the service manager at a large dealership and think that whoever is servicing your unit is not looking at the obvious. These leaks are common and are typically easily resolved. The AC gasket should be removed and replaced then all of the dicor sealant should be removed from the roof and replaced. It's not an expensive service and it corrects the issue 99% of the time.
jeff76033 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
320rs, columbus, leak, water, water leak