Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

Refer Doors won't Stay Shut

Have new 320RS w/4-dr stainless Dometic refer. Doors will not stay shut while traveling. If empty, they fly open even on the freeway. If loaded, they open on curves and trays fall out. The unit has the auto door lock feature (so says the manual). Anyone else have this problem and if so solutions that don't void the warranty?
ks1151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #2

We bought child safety latches and slide them throught the handles. Ours is a three door, two up top and the freezer below. Our freezer does not slide open, so far, so we just use it on the top doors.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #3

Refer Door

Thanks for the suggestion. You must have the residential style refer. Ours does not have openings in the handles. I thought of drilling thru the handles and installing a clip or baby type latch, but if I do so it may void the warranty. Thought I might try a spring type clamp to hold the two handles together and hope it doesn't mar or cave in the handles. They are not that thick.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks1151 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. You must have the residential style refer. Ours does not have openings in the handles. I thought of drilling thru the handles and installing a clip or baby type latch, but if I do so it may void the warranty. Thought I might try a spring type clamp to hold the two handles together and hope it doesn't mar or cave in the handles. They are not that thick.
No don't butcher them yet! My 378 was the same way and the electric lock would not work and when the lock slid by hand two doors wouldn't latch. The latch if you have the electric style is adjustable by loosening the two screws that hold it to the reefer frame and move them up and down to engage the pins. If the electric doesn't work, remove the door outside with the louvers and locate the power supply terminal. Should be red/white and a color on one TB. The leads to the fridge should be red white and blue. The blue lead needs power from the chassis to operate the lock when its fired up, tow veh. or cab of M/H. When power removed the coach power opens the lock.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Phat Phrogs Incognito...

KS, if your refrigerator is like ours, we have observed the same problem.

The issue is that Dometic's flex handle design isn't really very good. I doesn't provide for a positive latch close.

But... I found a very simple solution. I insert a short piece of soft rubber tubing between the handles before we head out. They stay put and ensure the doors don't come open.

Here is a picture of what it looks like with the rubber tubes inserted:

Tina + Dutch and Bell, Bobo, Harley, Buddy (the dogs)
2011 F350 Lariat 4x4 DRW SuperCrew 6.7L (B&W setup w/Air Lift 5000 Ultimate)
2014 Columbus 365RL (Airflex and Voyager package)
Nights Camped 2014 - 154, 2015 - 32, 2016 - 4
DutchF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
Swift2

Rubber tubes what a great idea. We are on our first trip out and that was a real question.
Swift 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:48 AM   #7

Refer doors

Dutch, wish I would have seen your rubber hose solution earlier, but I didn't receive notice until Bob recently replied. All summer we ended up clamping the doors shut with two spring clamps bought at Home Depot for $1 each, clamped over a washcloth to protect the handles. Kept them closed except for an occasional partial opening on the windiest roads thru the Canadian Rockies. At least doors never came fully opened. Currently our rig is with Camping World for warranty work, including the refer door issue. If they still come open, I'll try the rubber hose idea.
Thx, Ken
Old 10-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #8

refrige door

I inserted a spacer under the latch assembly on door edge to move the engagement pin
out. Seems to work
johnspjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #9

I am on my second set of handles, so far so good.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:19 PM   #10

Our doors were completely replaced under warranty. The newer doors have an improved locking mechanism.
seahawk986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
Site Team

I have the locking kismo

I have the locking kismo. And I think when the camper is hooked to the truck it locks automatically. Also doubles as a store mode for holding the doors open just a tad for air flow.

I wonder if you can add it to your fridge?!

DutchF, I can see the pins in your door that the locking kismo works with.
Here is a pdf, look on page 6
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=157

Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge lock.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	67967

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
Site Team

Did some looking on dometics eDometic website. After doing so the rubber hose could be the way to go. Either way thought I would share what I found.
Part 251 looks like the complete kit and pricey. If you have the pins in your door handles this part would work I think. I would call dometic and not take my word for it.

Name:	fridgepart.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	67970

Name:	fridge 2lock.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	67971

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote