Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporoo View Post
Turbs, I'm impressed my man, nice job. To be honest, I never really saw a need to add fans to the frig, but then again I have not ever had an issue with it. I can see where this would eliminate any chance of that happening. Thanks for the info.
Thank you for the comment.

As hot and humid as it gets here in the midwest and I am sure in other hot and humid places it really makes a difference .
My dw actually shook her head when I decided to do it and said "you play to much"

But the very next camping trip she actually commented on the way home on how so much more consistent the temperature was and that it stayed lower longer !

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 PM   #22

Here's one with a switch:
Dometic Evaporator Fan Greater inside cooling - RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

And one without a switch:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOMETIC-NORC...243fff&vxp=mtr
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
There was a problem with the fan being noisy when the fridge was on but it has been taken care of on later models. It created a high frequency whine that could be heard when sitting or in the kitchen. Adding an auxiliary fan is an idea especially when on high temperatures.
I see you have a 320rs. So, I take it from your post that you know for sure that this model has an exhaust fan. Is that right? My issue is that the couple of trips we have made so far, the freezer is only pulling down to 8 and the refer is at 39. I am afraid that when the weather really gets hot the refer won't be up to it. I pulled the lower and upper access panels and there is no way that a fan can be mounted on the bottom or the top. The only thing I can see to do is mount the fan on the back of the top access panel to pull the air out. I did notice that there was some kind of sensor? mounted to the cooling fins with 2 wires coming from it and going down the flu. I have no idea what they are hooked up to. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
travelor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelor2 View Post
I see you have a 320rs. So, I take it from your post that you know for sure that this model has an exhaust fan. Is that right? My issue is that the couple of trips we have made so far, the freezer is only pulling down to 8 and the refer is at 39. I am afraid that when the weather really gets hot the refer won't be up to it. I pulled the lower and upper access panels and there is no way that a fan can be mounted on the bottom or the top. The only thing I can see to do is mount the fan on the back of the top access panel to pull the air out. I did notice that there was some kind of sensor? mounted to the cooling fins with 2 wires coming from it and going down the flu. I have no idea what they are hooked up to. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Some have mounted there's fan/s in the top of the flue after taking roof cover off.
Old coot comes to mind.
Albeit a fifth wheel the principle is the same.

Turbs
Old 02-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #25

Turbo,
Thanks for the reply. My refer is in the slide so it has side vents both top and bottom. I directed my reply to amexpress because he seemed to be sure that there was already a fan and I just wanted to make sure, there was so I can proceed with certainty on a proper course of action to get this thing to cool a little better.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Turbo,
Thanks for the reply. My refer is in the slide so it has side vents both top and bottom. I directed my reply to amexpress because he seemed to be sure that there was already a fan and I just wanted to make sure, there was so I can proceed with certainty on a proper course of action to get this thing to cool a little better.
I understand ....
Was trying to help if I could!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My 320 RLT Crusader has a fan in the top of the fridg compartment, drawing the air from bottom to top and exhausting through the top vent or access panel . It's located behind a thin plywood baffle . It makes a loud high pitched noise. Replacement on my to do list this spring.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks
That is the condensers cooling fan temperature switch. I just installed the fan kit from Dometic on my pups frig. The switch turns the fan on and off as needed to cool the condenser down to 95f.
The directions in my kit did not tell me where to mount the sensor on the cooling fins. Is your sensor on the right, near the flue, or the left?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #29

My new Columbus 295RL has Refer fan noise as well. I called the factory and they said the fridge has to be pulled to work on that fan. Anyone have any alternate ideas. I really hate to have to disrupt the seals and wood work around the fridge to just replace that cheap fan. debarymj
debarymjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #30

Just unhook it and install another one.
Usually it is when the fridge is installed in a slide out that you really need a fan due to not having a roof vent, but I think that is a good idea on any fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debarymjm View Post
My new Columbus 295RL has Refer fan noise as well. I called the factory and they said the fridge has to be pulled to work on that fan. Anyone have any alternate ideas. I really hate to have to disrupt the seals and wood work around the fridge to just replace that cheap fan. debarymj
okietom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 ThunderRoad View Post
That is the condensers cooling fan temperature switch. I just installed the fan kit from Dometic on my pups frig. The switch turns the fan on and off as needed to cool the condenser down to 95f.
The directions in my kit did not tell me where to mount the sensor on the cooling fins. Is your sensor on the right, near the flue, or the left?
The sensor is connected to a fin all the way on the right. I spent a good part of the day on line researching this whole deal. Dometic has a pdf on line which details ventilation on the various refers depending on the set-up. (roof vent or refer in the slide) I have a 2862 in my 320rs. Dometic only lists a 2852. Took me a few minutes to figure out that the 2862 has the adjustable thermostat while the 2852 does not. So, looking at the pdf about the ventilation requirements, I discovered that this refer was installed with a fan because of the 2 side vents and no roof vent. I have not heard the fan work but I assume that it does. The pdf also shows baffles etc. They show a curved baffle at the top of the chimney that would serve 2 purposes. The first being that the baffle would direct any air being pushed up by the fan out the top vent. The second purpose would be to close off the dead space above the refer which without the baffle would just collect hot air. I went to my trailer this afternoon and pulled both the top and bottom vent. Everything looked OK on the bottom. When I pulled the top vent, I discovered that the curved baffle that was supposed to be there to direct the air out and close off the dead space was missing in action!! The factory was nice enough to line the dead space with insulation, I guess to keep the heat from the refer from entering the trailer. It would appear that the factory did not bother to read the whole installation sheet. I am disappointed. I will add the curved baffle and I am betting the performance of the unit will inprove with what will now be a proper install. Those of you who have the 320rs, I would check behind that upper vent. Maybe they just forgot mine, but I would not bet on that.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #32
Owner/Operator

Travelor2

Could you post a link to the pdf that covers the installation of the 2952/2862 in a slide out?

When I searched and found the Dometic Installation Manual, it did not state that the 2852/2862 could be installed in a Slide Out.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #33

Yes, please attach this PDF i'm going to go and check mine out today. I will let you know if i have this baffle.
2009 Silverado 2500HD
drinkh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My Prime Time Crusader 320 RLT has the "Baffle" in the top of the frig. . It is made out of a thin piece of scrap plywood. I've never had a problem with the performance of my frig. in the hottest weather... works perfect. I do have a high pitched noise problem with the fan, absolutely annoying no doubt about it. I'll replace the fan this spring with a computer fan.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3pnt View Post
Travelor2

Could you post a link to the pdf that covers the installation of the 2952/2862 in a slide out?

When I searched and found the Dometic Installation Manual, it did not state that the 2852/2862 could be installed in a Slide Out.

RodeoGeorge
OK, here is the link. http://www.bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/dometicventing.pdf
If that does not work google ventilation requirements for a dometic rv refrigerator. You will see this pdf. You want to look at option 3D. As I said before this pdf will list the the 2852 which is the exact same refer as the 2862 except that the 2862 has an adjustable thermostat. The diagram clearly shows that a baffle needs to be installed at the top to direct the hot air out and close off that dead space. I was glad to hear one person on the board checked their trailer and the baffle was there. Maybe they just mistakenly left mine off. I will however be adding the baffle unless Palimino would like to send someone to my trailer to install it. LOL
Old 02-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

When looking for the baffle, it's not a complicated design or a high tech baffle. I guess I would say, don't look beyond or past this thin piece of what I call scrap plywood. It's very easy to get a different picture in mind as to what to look for. Could be just me.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #37

I know what you are saying. Indeed this is not a hi-tec deal. That baffle could be made of almost any material as long as it is curved to get the fan-driven air out the side vent as well as block off the dead space. I am sure that the refer performance will improve once this is done. As I said I am disappointed that when the refer was installed this important non hi-tec piece was not installed.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #38
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Well, it sounds like you've got the problem solved. Good luck with the repair.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #39

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
This is getting good reviews on helping to lower fridge temps.

Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
This is getting good reviews on helping to lower fridge temps.

Dometic Thermistor Repair Kit
Looks like I'm going to be adding another mod to the list

Tags
fan