Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to B and B
River Ranch

My dealer is stocking the Palamino River Ranch.

My question can you reliably run the basement heat pump on 30 amps? Anyone done this?

Brian
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:41 PM   #2

It looks like it has 2 separate stages with an individual compressor and cooling circuit on each stage. Stage 2 only engages if temp is 2 degrees over the set point and it has power. Looks like stage 1 could be wired to the leg of power that is fed when on a 30A pigtail, while the 2nd compressor would function if on 50A. So, in short, yes it would work but you will only utilize one cooling stage when on 30A. Pretty much just like having dual ACs but in one box.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The River Ranch is a good option for long timers which what we might do. Lots of storage. I can handle 13ft 6 inches in most provincial parks, do that with our Landmark Louisville. But we are 38 ft vs 42 ft for River Ranch.

Nice to see of they add a armour roof option and full body paint. That would be a sale!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:46 AM   #4

I got a chance to see The River Ranch back in September along with FROG Bob, it is a different concept but trust me you would not want to switch from your current unit to one of these. I suggested a few changes in some things they do from a users view point but do not know if they appreciated them or implemented them as I have not seen one since. The storage is fantastic but I am sure folks will end up overloading the unit just because they can bring everything from home.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
My dealer is stocking the Palamino River Ranch.

My question can you reliably run the basement heat pump on 30 amps? Anyone done this?

Brian
I had the similar residential type heat pump in the Itasca motorhome and it can be run on a 30amp service but you will have to be careful with total electrical use.

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:28 AM   #6

Is there any where to see how these are put together. Like how thick is the side walls I know it said they are R11 insulated, they look like the floors should be a little warmer then my Montana with all the space. The wife a me are looking for a new one looking at Silverstone, River Ranch and DRV. Think any will be better then this 3711FL Montana
Illini_RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #7

I believe they said it is a 2" wall but don't quote me on it, I would say it is about equal to the Montana but below the DRV and River Stone as far as quality goes but of course that is my opinion yours and others may vary
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:19 PM   #8

A friend when and looked at one today they had a riverstone beside it and said when ghe when in to the riverstone it was so much cooler then the river ranch so must not have the same insulation
Illini_RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:44 PM   #9

Just bought a River Ranch and been staying full time in it but its only been a few days but already found some likes and dislikes, I have a surge protector with BT monitor on the power cord ( watchdog brand ) when running AC or heat pump it is pulling around
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EMhtyoweWjHFC4nA9
tried to post a picture. hang on ..
If you cant open the picture here is the data I took a screen shot , 1 50" Tv and fridge and a few lights and heat pump on = 1449 watts @ 16.5 amps running start up wasn't bad I didn't catch it in time but I bealve its a short 20 to 25 amp spike.
Also River ranch you can run LP for heat or heat pump only mode, etc so if your worried about being on 30 amp you can run LP mode.
chadjones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:54 PM   #10

Went to purchase a River ranch today. 100degree day and I had read others concerns regarding the poor hvac performance. I called dealer and asked them to plug it in amd set to 70 ( I realize can expect only 20 degree cooling) but want wanted to see what it did. Turns out the hvac couldn’t cool the unit more than 9 degrees below external temp which made it 91 degrees in the trailer. A tech was working on the one next to us and said he had received a billeting today to “retape” the ducting. I had already checked in the storage bay along the ducting for leaks amd couldn’t feel any and I had a laser temp gun. However they had taped over the vent that supplies heat/cool to the storage. Placing your hand over the vents inside and barely any airflow could be felt. I chose not to purchase the unit and walk until the factory sends out models that work. The tape seemed very well sealed and I watched the tech remove the shroud and there were no obvious leaks. There is no way to retape the top of the ducting which concerns me about the mfg response. I am not a hvac expert but the pressure of what the unit creates is not sufficient to get the air into the RV. Either a poor ducting design or underpowered fan are my thoughts. I just don’t feel you should have to duct tape over the storage vents on an 80k plus trailer. I do hope they come up with a fix Bc I love this trailer otherwise. However, it’s just not tolerable in temps above 90 degrees.
DocT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:16 PM   #11

more info

Ok well my AC failed, I contacted forest River and they authorized me to buy a portable AC unit, until I can get it fixed. As I am staying in it out of town temporarily for a job I could not just drop it off somewhere. They so far are working with me. I am trying to schedule a time to drop this unit off as it has all kinds of issues. Would love to chat with an another RR owner to compare notes ( issues ) My condenser fan bearing went out which caused the compressor to kick out on high pressure. which if you think about it could have failed earlier than expected due to possible leaks in the basement from running all the time to cool the unit. ?? this is still under investigation by the AC tech. but by the way, portable AC units are hard to find on the spot during a heatwave. I got lucky and found "1" that's it all the big box stores around me are sold out and the big online guy was a week out to get one. But I have made do with 1 , being you have to duct these units out a window and most of the windows I have do not support that kind of mounting . Anyway I will report the findings when I get them and also report on how Forest river / Columbus handles this .
Old 07-29-2021, 08:42 PM   #12

Anyone know the ac unit size.

Or 37’ Hathaway works fairly well at 100-105. Would not get the temp a lot below 80, but, it is appropriate. Houston, direct sunlight, no trees. Cooled off in the late afternoon. Two 15,000 units. 30,000 total. No heat pump, residential fridge, running.

A smaller unit in a larger trailer is sort of a question in my mind. I thought they were 20,000 units.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:05 PM   #13

Sorry to hear that Chad, glad you found a portable unit. I put money down on the RR today and rolling the dice. I believe the make or break story of this coach will be how Forrest River handles the AC issue. I saw three lines up at service for the hvac fix. I was told in addition to the retaping of ducts they are also adding insulation boards that surround the unit. I do believe they should be able to get it corrected. Not sure how they plan on balancing the air, most dumps out at the first register. Tomcatb- it’s a 2 ton unit sir calculation is correct. I will try to upload a pic of it.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:09 PM   #14

RR HVAC

2 ton unit undergoing fix
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2021, 06:46 PM   #15

DocT

DocT what is the repair on your AC ? what are your failure symptoms ?
Just want to give some praise to RR / Columbus . They ( so far and to date ) have been working with me to line up a repair dealership near them. As they them selfs could not take it to on as they are overbooked. I also received my 1st reimbursement check from them for out-of-pocket repairs I have had to hire out so far.
Still have a long way to go I got the 1st issue with the AC fixed ( condenser fan bearing locked up cause it to trip on high Thermo ) then something else went out causing the 2nd stage compressor to stop working, So right now it only works under cooler conditions I.E. after 7 pm when it starts to cool off outside. I have a feeling that the 1st failure led to to the unit overrunning its duty cycle causing the 2nd issue, seems to be possible the main control board. Just waiting to get my AC guy back out.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:02 PM   #16

I agree Chad Palomino mfg and dealerships have had excellent customer service. They just called me yesterday and said they completed the fix in the bulletin. The symptoms were not cooling due to very little airflow. They have to pull the entire ac unit out. There was a 1.5” gap between the unit and the duct where the tape had fallen off. The dealer thought they may have got bad tape or something as hadn’t seen tape fail like that and it wasn’t sticky. So they taped it back and added the foam insulation boards in place of the thin blackboard. I am going to try to get over there next week and see if it pushes the proper cfm through the vents and see that it can hold temp 20ish degrees below ambient on a hot day. I won’t pay for it until I see it work. I will take some pics for you if I can get the camera in there so you can see what they did.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #17

ok I am calling my own service bulletin

Ok I found my issue with my 2nd stage compressor, I ended up replacing the control board. But here is the concern for you all !!!!!!
The new board came with a backing board kind of like cardboard ish... to keep the high voltage on the board from arcing out on the sheet metal wall it's mounted too. Well when the AC tech pulled off ( I was watching and seen it for myself) the old board to replace it. It had no backing board and there was a large Arc mark ( burn spot ) on the PC board and the metal wall see attached picture if I can get them to upload. something you all might want to have checked as it should have one but mine did not !!!
I uploaded new board picture as well to show backing board
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210822_121208.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	261443   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210822_121210.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	562.6 KB
ID:	261444   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210822_131110.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	261445  
Old 08-24-2021, 10:29 AM   #18

Wow, thanks for sharing those pics. Will check mine out for sure. I went to inspect the unit Saturday and looks like the tape did the trick, it was blowing pretty hard everywhere. I took my laser temp gun and measured 68F coming out of the bedroom floor vent the others were around 71. So I was satisfied and will pick it up this weekend to take it home. On another note, I went online researching and looked at the RR website, the new model pics they are posting don’t look nearly as nice as the ones that are out there now. Examples, bathroom sink are not the lifted bowls, plain faucets, ceiling fan has no decorative molding, chair and tables look plain. Not sure what happened but the interior on the RR website is not close to being on par with what was already produced.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:49 AM   #19

Great find chadjones99, that is a upgrade I may do soon. Fortunately, my AC has been working great since we bought her in April. Knocking on wood now....

Has anyone noticed "tin canning" of the ducts under the floors when you walk in the kitchen area? I am going to work up a fix and post when done.
MissileMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissileMech View Post
Great find chadjones99, that is a upgrade I may do soon. Fortunately, my AC has been working great since we bought her in April. Knocking on wood now....

Has anyone noticed "tin canning" of the ducts under the floors when you walk in the kitchen area? I am going to work up a fix and post when done.
Tin canning ... YES I thought it was just me, I'm not super heavy but on the plus size, it has that popping sound...
Also, I recommend that you check your circuit board on the AC unit Mine probably happened due to the area I am in, Very high humidity and I suspect that moisture built up and it arced over, if it had the proper backing board that would not have happened, that's why the new board had 1
IF you don't want to take your unit in you can get a small inspection mirror or maybe a camera on a cell phone and hold it tight against the wall and should be able to see if it has that backing board. I am betting most of you all have it.. and for whatever reason when mine was made the tech that put it together forgot to install it? just a guess