Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #1

Sabre awning-pull strap.

Did any of you new Sabre owners get an "emergency strap" for the Dometic automatic awning? To be used to manually retract the awning in the event of a power failure or failure of the motor of the awning. I didn't get one with my new Sabre, hopefully I will never need it but you know things happen. I know on my last RV it had a Carefree automatic awning and came with an emergency electrical cord with alligator clips that hooked to an external 12 volt source for emergency retraction of the awning.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #2

We did recieve an emergency strap, but we weren't exactly sure how to use it. It is identical to our old manual awning strap. We were also told that after rewinding the awning manually, it would require a qualified awning service person to "reset" it back to auto mode. We didn't understand that part either.

Our Sabre is only 3 weeks old and, like you, we are just assuming we will never need it, but it is on our list to become better prepared, just in case.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I didn't get a strap with mine
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #4

This is from the Dometic Power Awning Manual,

In Case Of Coach Power Failure Or To Manually
Close Awning:

Important: This procedure will require two people. When this procedure has been performed, the awning must be serviced by a Dometic Service Center or a qualified service technician before using again.

1. Slide the pull strap (provided) into the utility slot of the FRTA.
2. While one person is holding onto the pull strap, remove the screw in the top of the right top casting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	12250

The FRTA will immediately roll in once the bolt is removed. Walk the awning to the closed position.
3. Align hole where screw was removed and replace screw into top casting to secure awning.

CAUTION
Screw must be re-installed to prevent awning from opening during travel. Have awning serviced by a Dometic Service Center or a qualified service technician before attempting to open awning after this procedure has been performed.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning