Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #1

Sabre water filter will not stay on, floods storage compartment.

When we first picked up our 36QBOK-7 last fall, we spent a couple nights of camping near the dealership. In the middle of the night I am wakened by a thud. I go outside and water is pouring out of our storage compartment. The water filter housing came off. We took it back to dealer and they retightened the filter housing and dried out our storage compartment. I have had no problems until today. I put a new filter in and snug the casing tight with the filter wrench. After turning on the water and checking all the plumbing inside for leaks, thud the filter casing comes off again. Luckily I had my son near the faucet just in case I had any leaks and we shut off the water quickly. I did the same thing 3 more times, but this time without the filter installed. I tightened it really snug with the wrench every time. I finally had enough and went to Home Depot to buy stuff to bypass the filter. This solved the problem. Anybody ever had similar issues? I think I got a bad filter housing which should be covered under warranty. I personally can do without the filter, but the dear wife thinks otherwise.
RadColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadColt View Post
When we first picked up our 36QBOK-7 last fall, we spent a couple nights of camping near the dealership. In the middle of the night I am wakened by a thud. I go outside and water is pouring out of our storage compartment. The water filter housing came off. We took it back to dealer and they retightened the filter housing and dried out our storage compartment. I have had no problems until today. I put a new filter in and snug the casing tight with the filter wrench. After turning on the water and checking all the plumbing inside for leaks, thud the filter casing comes off again. Luckily I had my son near the faucet just in case I had any leaks and we shut off the water quickly. I did the same thing 3 more times, but this time without the filter installed. I tightened it really snug with the wrench every time. I finally had enough and went to Home Depot to buy stuff to bypass the filter. This solved the problem. Anybody ever had similar issues? I think I got a bad filter housing which should be covered under warranty. I personally can do without the filter, but the dear wife thinks otherwise.
This same problem has been asked before. You might find the thread under filters or something. I think it was solved by not passing a mark on them, not sure about that. There has been plenty with the same problem. I took mine out being we don't drink the water. and just use the blue tube external.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #3

Not sure if this has been solved but I also had the exact same thing happen to our filter. I found that even though I tighten it as tight as the casing would go it would still come off once pressured up. After taking everything apart and inspecting it I found that once you tighting it as tight as it will go you need to push the casing up into the housing (litterally push up with your hand) and then tighten it again. I was able to do this a couple of times and have had no problems since.
cammartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

not an issue with mine since new in 2011 with mine, albeit they quite possibly use a different filter housing since then.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 PM   #5

I just purchased an in line RV water filter at Wal-Mart yesterday I found it in the RV section which is incorporated within Automotive. Not all stores have an RV section in Automotive. The filter was 17 or 18 dollars and attaches to the fresh water hose. I haven't had any issues with the under the sink filter other than the expense of a new cartridge and aggravation associated in getting to the filter housing. I have thought about eliminating it altogether and probably will, just as you did.
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
not an issue with mine since new in 2011 with mine, albeit they quite possibly use a different filter housing since then.
I know they changed filter housings from when I bought mine in 2012 to when it was replaced by the factory during my warranty process.

This new design is more of a toothy/notched design vs. just twisting on tight. That would explain why you have to push up to get it over another tooth or two.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #7

I had the same issue. I installed the filter in the housing, you could watch it unscrew itself and fall off, fooled around with it and finally got it to lock in.

Then I took the filter out trying to sort out why my flow rate was so poor. I couldn't get the housing to stay on. I replaced it with a GE Watersmart filter and not only did I fix the housing falling off I fixed my water flow problem too.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
I had the same issue. I installed the filter in the housing, you could watch it unscrew itself and fall off, fooled around with it and finally got it to lock in.

Then I took the filter out trying to sort out why my flow rate was so poor. I couldn't get the housing to stay on. I replaced it with a GE Watersmart filter and not only did I fix the housing falling off I fixed my water flow problem too.
I just bypassed it. I got tired of it coming off and having to get out fans to dry out the storage compartment. I bought one of the blue torpedo inline filters that connects to the hose at the city water connection. They work like a charm with no effect (at least that I can notice) on the water pressure. I removed the factory installed filter housing after I bypassed it.
RadColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadColt View Post
I just bypassed it. I got tired of it coming off and having to get out fans to dry out the storage compartment. I bought one of the blue torpedo inline filters that connects to the hose at the city water connection. They work like a charm with no effect (at least that I can notice) on the water pressure. I removed the factory installed filter housing after I bypassed it.
My wife liked the thought of having a water filter, since the connection was there I decided to filter the fresh tank also. Sub 5 micron filters $11 a two pack? I'm good with that.

However you slice it, the FR filter setup isn't the hot ticket.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sabre, storage, water, water filter