Old 08-13-2019, 11:35 PM   #1

Shower doors busted

Upon arriving on a recent trip, we found the back handle on sliding shower doors had busted.
DW did not put it back in place when she told me the shower doors were secured for I return home. Enter the bathroom and home and found the middle of the three glass doors busted/shattered.
I have cleaned up the glass and picked it out of the two frames (top and bottom) I'm wondering where I can find a replacement door.
I don't have the exact camper model in front of me, but it is a 2018 Columbus mid bunk 42-foot fifth wheel. Any suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

RPCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:45 AM   #2

Check with the dealer first and the manufacture second would be my suggestion. Sorry it happened to ya. Valuable lesson in securing everything before travel. Many of us use a checklist to make sure we don't forget anything. I never did until I forgot to pack the microwave with enough stuff to keep the glass turntable from bouncing and discovered it broken in a previous RV.

Has also prevented me from being stupid a few other times when I have gotten distracted with a side conversation and out of my normal rhythm and order of doing things. Like almost unhooking the trailer from the hitch on a steeply pitched campsite prior to chocking the wheels. Could have been a roll over the hill behind us situation.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:35 AM   #3

I've always wondered about some of the things they put in TT's, 5vers...etc... Glass shower doors, Ceiling fans, hanging light fixtures, the glass top on stoves. I've heard of people finding everyone of those things busted after traveling to a destination. I stuff the micro with towels, and added extra bumpers to the glass cover on the stove top and have a piece of foam that sits on top of it when we travel. The plastic shower curtain...yeah...don't have to worry about that one.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:43 PM   #4

Thanks all. Yeah, lesson learned.
Looks like a shower curtain for the trip in a week for sure.
RPCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #5

2016 Columbus 340RK. Have had stove top counter top break after travel. Now put towel under it. Had glass turntable fall out of microwave, amazing it didnít break, now remove it and wrap it in a towel and store it in the chair seat at the dinner table. Also the glass shower door would come loose from itís lock, the top track broke and have to carefully close the doors to avoid a open space while showing. Now place a channel window lock on the bottom track while traveling. Will replace the entire door with a accordion type folding door that will not require locking.
Unbelievable the lack of quality control in a expensive trailer. Several screws stripped out, in doors and even the windows. Found all cut outs behind the wall switches, tv cableís covers and between compartments behind electric panels in the sub floor that are cut jagged, not even close to a circle or square, and the pice of wood and sawdust laying on the subfloor. Very poor quality. Also having to re glue and re nail several pieces of trim. All the wires and cables run in the subfloor are a mess, nothing neat, just thrown in.
I am curious if this is the way all trailers are built.
I love the layout, but the trim and electrical installation really is disappointing. Also the finish on most of the woodwork is really bad, spots, finish nails showing, no hole filler used. Redoing it little by little. Stains barely visible unless laying in bed on the walls.
This is not everything found wrong, will know what to look for on next trailer.
Thanks jrt.
Osud320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #6

Agree that using glass shower doors in a moving vehicle is questionable.

We did our walk around inspection at the dealer with a service tech and two of the things he recommended were to not rely on the shower door latch, and not to leave the plate in the microwave.

We use a small bungee cord to secure the shower door and we wrap the plate for the microwave in a towel and put it in the pantry cabinet.

2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn
2019 Palomino Solaire 202RB

"Why yes, this is my circus and these are my monkeys!"
jcr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #7

I wonder if you'd want to replace it with plexiglass temporarily. A glass shop should be able to make a replacement for you but dont think they could temper it in time for your next trip.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:02 PM   #8

Replaced the glass doors with a Stoett roll up door. Very easy to install and costs Much less than glass. Very happy with it, also makes bathroom look bigger, and weight is nothing compared to glass. Have taken several showers and not a drop leaked. Wish I had done this on day 1.

Osud320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, show, shower