Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #1

Slide Issue

2013/2014 Palomino Sabre 32RCTS.

Have a slide issue. On my two major slides (kitchen & dinning room) there are black skids or slides that run the entire length of the (in/out) edges of the slide. These are very thin black plastic pieces about ?? inches wide and in my case about ?? inches long. These skids run the entire length of the in/out corner of the slide and are attached on the outside of the slide by the molding. (hard to explain).( I imagine there is a left/right or front/back skid part#) The skids are actually on the outside of the slide so they are visible. Looks like these skids aid in a smooth transition when bringing the slide in or out so the plywood floor does not actually ride on the inside floor or rollers if there are any. These are very thin plastic pieces and I do not think they are structural. One of them was not attached flush with the outside floor so when bringing the slide in or out was ripped and cracked off. I need to replace the skid. I have no idea if the slide will have any difficulty going in or out until this is replaced (slide needs to be jacked up to do so) but we are camping and need to move on so I will give it a try when we leave next week and hope for the best. Can anyone offer any advice or a part number? These seem to be very delicate pieces in a very heavy duty setting.

Any help is appreciated.

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #2

Mine did the same thing. See "More Slide Trouble" in Cedar Creek section.

I have two new ones from the factory. But for now, I've duct taped that slide (my floor is destroyed at the edge) floor and brought it in, and it will stay in until July 9 when I have appointment to get it fixed.....whatever that takes. Clearly, mine is out of adjustment (after being adjusted last August), AND I have water damage probably due to insufficient caulk at the screwed in strip covering that area.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #3

I have a Puma and it marked the floor on one end. I keep a thin small mat that I place under the carpet edge and the plastic piece rides on. No more marks....but it isn't fixed.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Forest River Forums mobile app
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #4

Any more info?

Do you have the part numbers by any chance? My slide does not seem out of adjustment. When the skid was installed it was not placed flush with the outside bottom of the slide so it was just ripped off. Bad install. What part of your floor was destroyed, the inside? What did you duct tape? Do you think the slide will be ok going in/out until it is replaced?

Old 06-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #5

I don't have a part number. The factory knew what it was. There's one on each side of slide, mirrored in shape to each other.

My floor (all?) is plywood. Plywood is laminated sheets of thin wood glued together. At the edge, under that plastic rail, water damage destroyed the glue and separated the sheets.......then the bottom sheet ripped to shreds as the plastic piece also ripped to shreds, as the slide went in and out. Didn't catch it in time. Pics on that thread I mentioned.

No, my slide isn't going in and out until this is all fixed. I have it in, valve shut, and a Slide Stopper in place until July 9.

I expect mine started the same way yours did. But sooner or later you will get the wood floor wet and then it's a mess.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ms-163161.html

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #6

Poor design. My Columbus has the same problem. All the plastic slides are broken in pieces. Why replace. Will just fail again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forest River Forums mobile app
Billb117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #7

Any issues?

Any negative results or problems from putting the slides in/out without the runners?

Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
Any negative results or problems from putting the slides in/out without the runners?
My Rockwood had the same black plastic runners, after breaking them 3 times I had some Stainless steel ones made ended the problem. the real reason for them is to cover the raw edge of the slide-out, seal that edge or you will get water damage to your floor, thats the only purpose for them and they are a bear to replace....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #9

Hey DOC

Can you provide any info on the stainless ones you had made?

Old 07-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #10

So now my question(s)

So to continue. When I brought in the slide earlier this week to depart our campground the skid was ripped off as the slide came in. I thought this might happen as the front (curved point) of the skid had broken off and it caught on the wear bar and that was all it took. It came off fairly clean and didn’t cause any additional damage. The slide seems to go in and out with no issue. I was able to salvage enough of the skid to make a skirt which I gorilla taped to the slide to keep the water off. I just remove it when I bring the slide in and re-apply when I set up camp, no big deal for now. I did the best I could to protect the outside bottom of the floor that is visible (about 3 inches) when the slide is closed in case it rains while traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010112.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	180015  

Tags
slide