Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Solaire 28QBSS Inside Kitchen Sink to Black Tank??

On our second trip in our new (2013) Solaire 28QBSS, I discovered our interior kitchen sink is draining into the black tank. The shower and bathroom sink drain into the gray tank.

That seems very odd to me, and I'm first curious if any other Solaire owners can share their plumbing situation with me so I can know if that is a mistake, or the normal design. And second, I'm still under warranty and my dealer is willing to replumb it to the gray tank.

Any Solaire owners able to share their experiences??

Thanks.

Lars
Prior Rig
2003 31' Gulf Stream Conquest Class C
luv2drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I can't answer if that's typical for Solaire...it wouldn't be for most campers. Having a sink emptying into he black tank isn't so much an issue if you have full hook-up or are only camping for 2-3 days without full hook-up. If you're camping for a week or more without hook-up, you'll have to be emptying the black tank as it will fill much faster with the kitchen sink gray water...even with a tote, it's a job I'd rather not do. Also if the black tank was to be overfilled, you'd have stinky water in the kitchen sink.

I'd be getting the dealer to correct the plumbing.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

Thanks Dave. Your thoughts match my thoughts. I'm so ticked about it because we just got the unit back from the dealer after having taken it out camping once, and then taking it back to them for about 7 weeks for a lengthy list of repairs which were needed. All under warranty, but terrible quality, and just dumb stuff like the factory cutting a wall too long, so it bowed terribly and had to be recut by the dealer.

Thanks for the insight.
Prior Rig
Old 07-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #4

I have a Solaire 267BHSK. I have sensors for one black and 3 gray water tanks, which i believe are for the outside kitchen, forward inside kitchen, shower/tub and have all showed level indication over time. I know i have two valves to pull for gray and one for black but the bottom of the camper is covered and sealed so i cant get under to look.
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #5

I have a 269bhsdk and the interior sink drains to one grey tank, bathroom and outside kitchen drain to the other. Black tank is obviously separate (I added a tornado).
Marshmstr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmstr1 View Post
I have a 269bhsdk and the interior sink drains to one grey tank, bathroom and outside kitchen drain to the other. Black tank is obviously separate (I added a tornado).
Is the covered underbelly hard to work with to get access to put the tornado in? Also, did you have difficulty with the rotation on the head that I am reading about in the comments?
Nights camped: 2015 (4) as of 5/25 2014 (44) 2013 (26)
ProPride Review
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #7

It's kind of a pain, easy to take down, just a pain to get template, drill, etc...just right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-743238005.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	36461
Marshmstr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #8

OK, thanks!
Nights camped: 2015 (4) as of 5/25 2014 (44) 2013 (26)
ProPride Review
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #9

Just thought I'd post a follow up to this issue, I spoke with Kim in Palomino's warranty dept and he apparently spoke with a designer/engineer of theirs. The 28QBSS, which is one of their 7' wide models, apparently lacks the lateral room to plumb the kitchen sink into the gray tank. So that is by design that the kitchen sink goes to the black tank. While it's not the end of the world, and actually has some advantages in being able to both distribute water usage between the two tanks, when off full hookups, it really can affect the black tank fill rate, which then causes issues of having to tote black water or simply not use the kitchen sink. Both options are not good! So it appears this unit is either best used for full hookups, or as only a few days of use unless you choose to not use the kitchen sink. That's at least what we found on a recent 6 day, tank only, camping trip as a family of 4.

I've inquired about the possibility of installing a second gray tank for just the kitchen sink, which would be even a better solution. Even a small 15-20 gallon would work great.

I'll keep posting as things are done in case this helps anyone else. Sure would have been nice for me to know this before proceeding with this unit's purchase. I probably would have opted for one of the 8' wide models if I had known about some of the things we've learned since using it.
Prior Rig
Old 06-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #10

Thought I'd post another update related to this issue. On our first camping trip out this year, we noticed that there was a strong odor, obviously coming from the black tank. I quickly found that the vent, under the kitchen sink, after the "p" trap, was letting air from the black tank into the coach. It's a check vent design but it's obviously not doing its job and either needs replacing or repair. I checked the black tank vent on the roof and it is clear.

So in regards to the black tank being plumbed to the kitchen sink, while not an issue in theory, this type of thing wouldn't happen if the sink went to the gray tank. Or at least the odors wouldn't be as bad. So now I've learned the key is to keep the black tank clean as possible, especially after your final trip out for the season. I didn't give it a good cleaning at the end of last season so our tank odor no doubt was stronger than it could have been.

My fix was to clean the tank thoroughly with several good rinses and using a wand down the toilet connected to hose for spraying the tank down. Then some good deodorizer in the tank. I'm also going to replace the check vent under the kitchen counter and also install a better vent cap on the top of the black tank roof vent. I've seen the 360 Siphon Roof Vent, which seems to really draw the air out of the black tank and gets good reviews. Hopefully with those fixes, the problem will be solved.

Just an FYI for other 7' Solaire owners that likely have the kitchen sink to the black tank.
Prior Rig
Old 06-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #11

I would definitely figure out if there is room to get another grey tank under there. Otherwise, I would consider straight plumbing the kitchen sink out the bottom of the trailer and having it dump directly into a tote tank.
Fiver: '15 Puma 295BHSS Anniversary Edition
Past TV: '13 F150 HD Payload SCrew EB, '08 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L, '02 'Burb 5.3L, '97 Dakota 3.9L
Past Trailers: '09 Wildwood LE 27RB, '02 Palomino Yearling RL, '87 Jayco 1006dlx
campingwilliamsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank