Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #1

Suburban SW6DE water heater

Can someone tell me if the Suburban SW6DE water heater is both gas and electric? and if so how to i get it working on electric mode? When opening the panel door on the outside of the coach i noticed an on/off switch...is this what switches it from gas to electric? I just turned the heater switch on the inside of the coach to the on position and heard a loud bang....seems like gas was going to the unit but for some reason not igniting. i could hear the ignitior clicking but it was not catching. Appreciate any help...Thanks!
Calinewfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #2

The switch in bottom left corner under outside panel is for the electric mode on water heater. If you've turned propane on and tried turning heater switch on inside, you might need to purge your lines by lighting a stove burner. The water heater will try for 3 times to ignite on propane and then shut down. You will have to turn switch off and wait a few minutes before trying again. Hope that helps you.
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. So, once i turn the external switch on, do i still need to turn the red internal switch on the panel on if operating in electric mode? Sorry but i want to be cautious around gas because when i turn on the red internal switch it tries to ignite as you mentioned...and that's when I experienced the bang...gas was coming through at that point. Or when I turn the electric switch on the outside on will that stop any gas flow? Thanks!!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #4

And I guess my other question is why, if I want to use the heater in gas mode, is it failing to ignite when I turn the red internal panel switch on? That's essentially what's been happening since i was never trying to use electric mode.
Appreciate your response!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #5

You can use both electric and gas together if you want to heat the water faster but isn't necessary. The only time we use gas is when we don't have 110 volt power. You should turn your propane on and check for a propane leak around the water heater before you turn the inside switch on. That is why you heard the bang after you turned the red switch on. IMO
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:31 AM   #6

Thanks for the info! So in this case
we have never operated in electric mode because this is the first time i have ever turned the external electric switch on...thanks for that. However we have never had an issue with using gas before like we are having now...every time i have ever turned the red internal switch on we had hot water right away. It didnt have to try several times to ignite. I also noticed a reset button inside the external panel...is it possible that needs to be pushed if for exams we
Change propane bottles?? Sorry for all the questions..just trying to learn more about this and to see whether or not we have an issue
With the gas side of the heater.

Thanks!!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calinewfie View Post
we have never operated in electric mode because this is the first time i have ever turned the external electric switch on...thanks for that. However we have never had an issue with using gas before like we are having now...every time i have ever turned the red internal switch on we had hot water right away. It didnt have to try several times to ignite. I also noticed a reset button inside the external panel...is it possible that needs to be pushed if for exams we
Change propane bottles?? Sorry for all the questions..just trying to learn more about this and to see whether or not we have an issue

Thanks!!
***for example*****. Not "for exams". iPhone spell check!!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calinewfie View Post

Thanks!!
The reset 'button' is a light. Should it come on, turn off the inside red switch, then turn back on to reset. Regarding electric, make sure you have water in the tank; if no water you'll quickly burn out the electric element. Prior to turning on the electric we will run a hot water tap to confirm water is flowing, e.g. No air.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

As implied in these posts, the water heater has TWO separate systems to heat the water. They work INDEPENDANTLY (Gas or Electric) or both at the same time.

With either system, you MUST have water in the tank to avoid damage. Make sure by flipping the leaver on the pipe pressure relief valve ( COLD ONLY! ); hot water will spurt out if the water is hot.

If air escapes the tank was not full. If nothing comes out, damage has already occurred. If water comes out it is full.

The outside switch only works the 120 volt AC side and the inside switch works gas.

The explosion you heard was most likely gas collecting in the combustion tube that finally got to a mixture that will burn.

You most likely have a bug nest in the combustion tube. Shut off the inside switch; clean it out with a water hose and let it dry.

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #10

Thanks very much for the reply. I will try cleaning out the combustion tube and see if that works.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
As implied in these posts, the water heater has TWO separate systems to heat the water. They work INDEPENDANTLY (Gas or Electric) or both at the same time.
So just to clarify, because I had a similar question about our Solaire, if you turn the HWH switch off inside the TT on the control panel, the electric element will still run if the switch on the unit itself is still in the "on" position and connected to a 120v power source?
Prior Rig
2003 31' Gulf Stream Conquest Class C
luv2drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #12

The way my Suburban SW6DE HWH works is this...

1.) Gas - switch inside with light next to it. Turn to "on" position (which is facing down). Red light lights for roughly 3 seconds, goes out and I can hear gas burner running.

2.) Electric - Must go outside and turn on switch on bottom left hand side. This will heat hot water when needed by electric until I shut off switch.

Now you can leave both on and heat with both... (Supposedly faster recover times)

or....

shut the Gas off via switch inside (redlight next to switch) and heat by electric only.

or...

Turn off Electric switch on outside of heater to heat by Gas only.

One thing I would like to mention is that if you heat by gas it takes roughly 10 minutes or so to reheat as if you use electric it will take an hour or so. Also, make sure you are NOT paying for electric if you are heating this way cause this baby uses 1440 watts of energy.

Note: I replaced mine with a new unit because the old unit was eight years old and the electric element was burnt out. I'm glad I did because it re-heats faster than the original. I use gas to heat my hot water.

P.S. My Suburban SW6DE uses a circuit board to control temperature of the water which can't be adjusted. :-)
DKRGoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
Site Team

This link may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Aaaaaaa pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130912_151540.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	39637  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lower left hand corner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7441_suburban front on closeup.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	39638
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

With either system, you MUST have water in the tank to avoid damage. Make sure by flipping the leaver on the pipe pressure relief valve ( COLD ONLY! ); hot water will spurt out if the water is hot.

If air escapes the tank was not full. If nothing comes out, damage has already occurred. If water comes out it is full.

The outside switch only works the 120 volt AC side and the inside switch works gas.

The explosion you heard was most likely gas collecting in the combustion tube that finally got to a mixture that will burn.

You most likely have a bug nest in the combustion tube. Shut off the inside switch; clean it out with a water hose and let it dry.

Herk
Times 2 with herk, It is either a clogged or obstructed supply tube or your spark has gotten unlined with the burner, you should only hear 3 clicks and then the burner ignition.(only on propane) This is called time delay ignition. What happens is that your chamber will fill with gas until it fills to the point that it will light the excess gas. NOT A GOOD THING.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2drum View Post
So just to clarify, because I had a similar question about our Solaire, if you turn the HWH switch off inside the TT on the control panel, the electric element will still run if the switch on the unit itself is still in the "on" position and connected to a 120v power source?
You are correct on that....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, suburban, water, water heater