Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 11:21 PM   #1

Tire balancing

I passed a Rockwood TT last week on I-95. It was probably around 24-26' long and looked fairly new.
I noticed the left front tire on the trailer was bouncing up & down due to static imbalance, I mean really bouncing.
I could only imagine what stress this was causing to the tire, suspension, frame, and anything inside the trailer. I know tires don't come balanced from the factory.
With most trailers coming with China bombs already, a tire out of balance can really lead to premature and catastrophic damage. I strongly recommend having your tires balanced, even if they are China bombs; and definitely if you install a new set of tires; and maintain the proper air pressures.
Just my 3 cents. Thank you and now I'll step down off my soap box and go smoke a cigar...
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:32 PM   #2

Agree. I would drive 200 or 300 miles to stabilize the rim/tire combo, them have it checked for balance and true running. These smaller tire spin a lot faster than larger car/truck tires, and need all the help that they can get.

I had a pair of boat trailer tires that were out of round and created a lot of vibration. After balance and truing, they ran with absolutely no vibration.

Video on truing/shaving:

https://youtu.be/GAasIWzUJaU

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
WFD

I totally agree...if it cost $15 or $20 per tire to balance that's $80 well spent. When I changed out our China bombs, the tire dealer I bought from was quite adamant that we should balance the new ones. His take was just because it's not a car and you aren't sitting in the trailer noticing an out of balance tire, it doesn't mean it isn't causing things to vibrate, or causing premature wear of a tire....perhaps the best$60- $80 you will spend on your trailer.

Tags
tire