RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
robbiels7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New port Richey FL
Posts: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenenn View Post
Also, Keep in mind that a turn on an elevated ground area, can increase the chance of contact between the truck and camper the same as/ or more so than just a straight turn on level ground Just ask me how I know and I do have a slider.
Great point!
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:19 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The best solution for 6.75 ft box is a Reese Sidewinder. With my 88 degree turn cap on my Heartland Bighorn and the Reese Sidewinder I can turn a full 90 degrees. Do I normally, No! I do have a tight storage spot and having the ability to get it close to 90 helps are times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
X2. Sidewinder is the best option for shorter beds in my opinion. Sliders are too heavy, take up too much bed room, and seem to bind up when you need them most.

Investigate the sidewinder by Reese with the air option. Perfect solution.
X3--With Sidewinder in Short Bed and square-corner 5er I can still turn well past 90 degrees. Wildcat points out the considerable disadvantages of sliders.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Central New York
Posts: 301
The front cap on our 5'er is somewhat "cab friendly", the pin box is somewhat long (TrailAir), the TV has an 8' box, and there is plenty of clearance between the bedrails and the trailer.. Still, when in doubt one of us will get out and act as a spotter.
__________________
2017 Riverstone 38FB Legacy
2018 F450
LegacyFB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:36 PM   #24
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
My 5'ver has the 90 degree turn radius corner as well...

But I've come pretty close a couple of times.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
tugboat369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MT Airy, NC
Posts: 611
I have a PullRite hitch it automatically slides so I never have to remember to unlock the slider. Not recommending any brand but get a automatic slide hitch it is worth the peace of mind and insurance deductible.
__________________
Camping from 2008, Life member Good Sam / KOA / iRV2
2014 Columbus 320RS
2011 Ford, F250, 6.7D, SRW
tugboat369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:06 PM   #26
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Yuma, Arizona
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat369 View Post
I have a PullRite hitch it automatically slides so I never have to remember to unlock the slider. Not recommending any brand but get a automatic slide hitch it is worth the peace of mind and insurance deductible.
I skipped that slider for two reasons...

1) Bigger than my wallet!

2) Damn thing weighs a ton...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:37 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The best solution for 6.75 ft box is a Reese Sidewinder. With my 88 degree turn cap on my Heartland Bighorn and the Reese Sidewinder I can turn a full 90 degrees. Do I normally, No! I do have a tight storage spot and having the ability to get it close to 90 helps are times.
We too now have a Reese Sidewinder, LOVE IT!

We used to have a slider but it was a PITA. Had to get out, put down landing gear to take weight off pin, activate the slide handle, pull forward, latch slider and repeat the process.

Now, I take the sidewinder apart at the beginning of the camping season and grease it, put it back together (about 1 hr work) and we are good to go.
__________________
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL, Gladiator Qr35 ST235/85R16 Load rating G, TST 507 TPMS w/ Flow-thru Sensors & Repeater, Reese Sidewinder 16K Pin Box, PI EMS HW50C
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, Turbo Brake activated, 39 gal Aux Tank W/ Fuel Pump transfer, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 air bags.
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle_1ben View Post
Interesting, I have wondered about the short beds and 5ers. I watched them in the campgrounds and they looked like an accident waiting to happen on the turns.

Ben
Those short bed/fifth wheel setups can still jack-knife sharper than the typical TT setup. Also unlike a TT, the point of contact is clearly visible from the driver's seat. So, in theory they are less accident prone that a TT setup. And to repeat, jack-knife a long bed/fiver setup just slightly more than 90 degrees and you will still have an accident.
__________________
Larry Day, Texas Baptist Men volunteer since '01
'13 Silverado LT 3500HD D/A CCSB 2wd, custom RKI bed
'17 Puma 351THSS toyhauler
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle_1ben View Post
Interesting, I have wondered about the short beds and 5ers. I watched them in the campgrounds and they looked like an accident waiting to happen on the turns. I have always had 8' beds on my older trucks. I have 60" cab to axle and a flatbed on my 2013, so 90's are easy.

Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytbm View Post
Those short bed/fifth wheel setups can still jack-knife sharper than the typical TT setup. Also unlike a TT, the point of contact is clearly visible from the driver's seat. So, in theory they are less accident prone that a TT setup. And to repeat, jack-knife a long bed/fiver setup just slightly more than 90 degrees and you will still have an accident.
SHORTBEDS ARE GREAT WITH 5ERS

With an older rig you may need a Sidewinder. I can go way past 90 degrees.
IF YOU TURN MORE THAN 90 DEGREES, YOU AREN'T DOING IT RIGHT!

I don't need no stinking longbed.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
5er_tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 2,294
Well..... let me introduce you to the advantages of a long bed. After towing a fiver for five years and over 100,000 miles with a short bed, I have found the light! All I can say is WOW. The improvement in ride comfort is amazing. It is so much more comfortable that I would never go back to a short bed truck. Yes, the short bed truck would fit in the garage. Now I will buy a cover for it and leave it outside. I am now a believer. 176" wheel base, full four door and a 48 gallon fuel tank. It's all good.
__________________
Tom & Renée
Durham, NC

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 20
We have the same truck. Installed the slider hitch and it works. Only drawback is on ours it needs adjusting from time to time, just one bolt no problem. The other is you must be in a straight line to hook up or unhitch.
Greg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 57
Dont trust what the salesperson tells you ever.
Do your homework first as your now doing.
Get a slider hitch.
Kwralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Orlando
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Well..... let me introduce you to the advantages of a long bed. After towing a fiver for five years and over 100,000 miles with a short bed, I have found the light! All I can say is WOW. The improvement in ride comfort is amazing. It is so much more comfortable that I would never go back to a short bed truck. Yes, the short bed truck would fit in the garage. Now I will buy a cover for it and leave it outside. I am now a believer. 176" wheel base, full four door and a 48 gallon fuel tank. It's all good.

Didn't have the option for a short bed and didn't want it. Carry 42 gal black tank, a bottle and floor jack, 2 - 2000 watt gens and a large plastic tool tote. Still will have room for a 5th wheel hitch unless an aux fuel tank is added. By the way, bought a CalMark cover for the truck and TT. Whatever cover you buy make sure it's Sunbrella material, FL sun is brutal but it will last many years.
__________________
2018 Silverado 3500 Duramax DRW
2019 Grand Design Reflection 312BHTS
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:17 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
cpaulsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brookings
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat369 View Post
I have a PullRite hitch it automatically slides so I never have to remember to unlock the slider. Not recommending any brand but get a automatic slide hitch it is worth the peace of mind and insurance deductible.

Same here!!
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Well..... let me introduce you to the advantages of a long bed. After towing a fiver for five years and over 100,000 miles with a short bed, I have found the light! All I can say is WOW. The improvement in ride comfort is amazing. It is so much more comfortable that I would never go back to a short bed truck. Yes, the short bed truck would fit in the garage. Now I will buy a cover for it and leave it outside. I am now a believer. 176" wheel base, full four door and a 48 gallon fuel tank. It's all good.
All good for YOU, NOT for ME, Thanks for trying.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwralph View Post
Dont trust what the salesperson tells you ever.
Do your homework first as your now doing.
Get a slider hitch.
Or a Sidewinder if you prefer light and simple to heavy and complex.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
bareftn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: austinburg ohio
Posts: 795
every full size pickup I have owned was a 8ft box and that's the only box I will have
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:14 AM   #38
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I skipped that slider for two reasons...

1) Bigger than my wallet!

2) Damn thing weighs a ton...
Point #1's not always the case. Surprisingly, the Demco Autoslide was actually the cheapest option for me. Here's what my dealer quoted me:

Demco Autoslide: $2K
Manual Slide: $2.5K
Non-Slide and Convert pin to the Reese Sidewinder: $3.5K total

I'm happy with the Demco so far, but in reality, I would have preferred the Reese. Your point #2 is spot on, these things are freaking heavy. It's been riding in the bed since the day it was installed. If I ever did need to pull it out, I'd probably have to swing by the in-laws shop so I can borrow their forklift for it.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 8
I have a 3500 RAM with an auto slider pulling a 40 ft
Cardinal. No problem. Works great.
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 6,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Point #1's not always the case. Surprisingly, the Demco Autoslide was actually the cheapest option for me. Here's what my dealer quoted me:

Demco Autoslide: $2K
Manual Slide: $2.5K
Non-Slide and Convert pin to the Reese Sidewinder: $3.5K total
Don't know where your dealer got his numbers, but I figure he had a Demco autoslider in stock to sell

My sidewinder with air ride was $850 installed after shopping around. Of course I already had a standard hitch, but they are cheaper also.

Just so other folks reading don't think those are real life numbers.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trailer, truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.