RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedude26 View Post
ok im new to the fifth wheel life, but i was driving around the back of barn and turned to the right, not at a full cut, and the trailer nose hit my cab. bent the cab and cracked the nose on the trailer. my question is why? i have a 373QSI toy hauler, and a 2017 f250 truck. too back to dealer there was another set of hole on my hitch so they moved it back to them and today i took both back and still couldnt get a full turn with out trailer coming to hit truck. shouldnt you be able to turn fully? i know if you back up you can jack knife them. i need to make this turn to get out of my driveway. i have a 6'9" box on the truck.

thanks.
Reese Revolution on Flagstaff models move the pivot point a foot to rear. It’s great
Kwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #62
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10

I skipped that slider (Pull Rite Auto Slide) for two reasons...

1) Bigger than my wallet!

2) Damn thing weighs a ton...
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
To bad, I loved mine and used my engine hoist to pop it in and out and onto a furniture dolly. I never met a 5er hitch that I wanted to lift and move manually anyway.

The manual sliders are a PITA as noted above, and a 8 ft bed is also, if you are not using it for real work. Loved my ext cab short bed duramax, parked it in a normal spot.
A friend of mine was switching to the Anderson hitch about the same time I bought my 5'ver and offered me his PullRite Auto Slide for $1000, but the weight thing scared me away.

I'm a skinny 150 pound weakling (had a stroke 8 years ago when I was 50) and can barely move my Reese slider at 300 pounds.

I do have the 88% turn radius front on my 5'ver and was told by me dealer and several friends with 5th-wheels that I wouldn't need the slider, but I just felt I wanted to have it for backup just in case.

Which is also why I also opted for the lesser priced manual slider option.

I almost pulled the plug on the Anderson hitch in June at a Camping Rally where they were offering a substantial discount on it...but just couldn't make myself do it.

I've never had to use it (slider) yet, but I can see where even if I don't need it for the clearance thing the slider may make it easier to back into some tight spots by changing the pivot point, or at least to give it more of a TT style back up.

I almost used it on my last trip in this crappy Denver area RV park I stayed in twice (only place available in town this time of year - wonder why???) as there were cars and trucks parked all over the place and in the way of backing into this space (had same site both times) and park management didn't care as the spaces were too short for RV and tow vehicle (see photo below - this was me getting ready to roll out).

I can usually back this thing right in on the first try...but this tight spot both times took me at least 10 tries to get it right without scrubbing my tires on the cement sewer dump or those damned railroad ties along the edge of the site...oh...and to miss that lawn sprinkler head that was broken both times I pulled in after being run over by someone else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180627_110039254.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	448.1 KB
ID:	180021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180625_202607810.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	180022  
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 AM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
A friend of mine was switching to the Anderson hitch about the same time I bought my 5'ver and offered me his PullRite Auto Slide for $1000, but the weight thing scared me away.

I'm a skinny 150 pound weakling (had a stroke 8 years ago when I was 50) and can barely move my Reese slider at 300 pounds....
If your Reese is 300#, then it's not much different from my Demco Autoslide. I find mixed numbers on the Demco online, but it seems to be in the 270-300# range according to different answers etrailer.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Unfortunately dealers either don't know, don't understand or don't care. Mostly the last or they would have had you test it while there when installing it or had their tech test it.

Slider hitches were designed and made specifically for this issue.

While I understand you are new to the 5th wheel world, there is a certain onus on you to know whether your rig is set up properly.

With that said, I have been towing 5th wheels with short bed trucks for many years. I have a slider hitch that I've never slid.

Could I hit the cab?... yes... but I've never had to turn that sharp, nor would I want to subject my suspension/tires to those kind of forces. Have you ever seen how the tires and springs roll over on a really sharp turn? Not something I plan to do with any frequency.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.
I completely disagree with this statement. He read and he inquired with a supposed "expert". He thought he may need one but was told no by a supposed "expert". The fault lies with the useless dealer who sold him the trailer.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #65

I really like the Revolution hitch. Towing with short bed Chevy 2500 HD. No turn has been to sharp. Finally figured out how to unhook too
fmhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #66

Towing 2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
fmhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #67

My Reese hitch is the one with large neoprene dampers at two locations (four total) that avoid clanking and chucking .. a totally quiet pull. My only complaint is that the unit needs frequent lubing at multiple points including one that is not so obvious -- otherwise half way through the season you will be under the pinbox with a pry bar getting the jaws open.

This is combined with a Reese Revolution on the 5'er. The truck is 2500 HD with 6-6 bed. I have 4" cab clearance at 90 degrees and level with the Reese revolution locked and about 24" with it in use. I unlocked it early on and never looked back.

The Reese Revolution and aftermarket Sidewinder do have a small drawback aside from needing lubing once per year. That is that moving the pivot point back degrades handling a bit. Not much though and far from the problems of a trailer with bumper hitch. The pin weight is still over the rear wheels and that probably limits the impact of the pivot location.

I've had my rig well past 90 degrees many times, turning around on dead-end roads, turning around in a forest, turning around on a narrow road, etc. Very carefully, of course. I never worry about scrubbing the trailer tires sideways .. they are a good quality tire and designed to take that abuse.

An advantage of the Reese Sidewinder and Revolution is that you can hookup or unhook with the truck at an angle to the trailer ... up to and including 90 degrees. I've used that feature a few times.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #68

Thanks

Well thanks for all the replys, a few was very helpful and a few not so much, but they was all good reading and the reason we have sites like these.
i bought a manual slider like new for $175 bucks, i have 2 friends that haul 5er's 1 has a short box with a reg mount and never has an issue, his 5er has a more rounded nose, my other buddy has a 41' 5er and a long box and was the one that told me to get a slider, he has used his 1 time in 15 years. with that being said, even if i would of had the slider in i prob would of never thought that turn would of been so tight, so yes it is my fault on the crash, never said it wasnt. so was the dealer wrong, i think he learned something on this also, the toy hauler is a more flat nose than others.
my slider no way weighs 300lbs i picked it up myself and put it in the back of my truck. it actually doesnt seem to weigh anymore that the standard one.
one thing i was told growing up is you learn something new everyday, well some days its free learning and others it costs you, lol

thanks again for all the replys!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #69

Wow guys I will keep my long bed, my $200 Reese hitch and keep on trucking,

As was mentioned I will stay with 8 foot beds and real trucks....... and the only good way to remove a hitch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tractor1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	180081   Click image for larger version

Name:	thitch.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	180082  

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #70

If you hit the cab with the old hitch likely the slider in the forward position will be in the same location.

The revolution or sidewinder or Anderson move the pivot back. The Anderson about 12”. 8” on the hitch, 4” on the adapter. Do not know about the others.

The Anderson gets you to 4’ from the cab.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post

I'm a skinny 150 pound weakling (had a stroke 8 years ago when I was 50) and can barely move my Reese slider at 300 pounds.

I do have the 88% turn radius front on my 5'ver and was told by me dealer and several friends with 5th-wheels that I wouldn't need the slider, but I just felt I wanted to have it for backup just in case.

Which is also why I also opted for the lesser priced manual slider option.

I almost pulled the plug on the Anderson hitch in June at a Camping Rally where they were offering a substantial discount on it...but just couldn't make myself do it.

I've never had to use it (slider) yet, but I can see where even if I don't need it for the clearance thing the slider may make it easier to back into some tight spots by changing the pivot point, or at least to give it more of a TT style back up.

I almost used it on my last trip in this crappy Denver area RV park I stayed in twice (only place available in town this time of year - wonder why???) as there were cars and trucks parked all over the place and in the way of backing into this space (had same site both times) and park management didn't care as the spaces were too short for RV and tow vehicle (see photo below - this was me getting ready to roll out).

I can usually back this thing right in on the first try...but this tight spot both times took me at least 10 tries to get it right without scrubbing my tires on the cement sewer dump or those damned railroad ties along the edge of the site...oh...and to miss that lawn sprinkler head that was broken both times I pulled in after being run over by someone else.
Hey do what I did - buy a cheapie electric wire rope drum hoist from Harbor Freight and mount it in your garage from rafters or just behind the garage door opener from the bottom of solid joists or stringer 2x4 between joists. Back under with truck, drop hoist hook down, attach hook to hoist with "chodker" strap (from Harbor Freight) and lift then drive out (with tailgate down). I made holder for the hitch by cutting and bolting a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to a movers flat 4 wheel dolly (Harbo Freight) and then cutting 4 holes in the plywood that match the pegs from the hitch. You just drop the hitch down to the floor onto the dolly/plywood and with an attached pull rope tug it over to the side for storage. Reverse the process to reinstall (don't forget to drop tailgate before backing up under the lifted hitch - did that once and left a @#**$% dent in my tailgate - so never again for that mistake!).
jz5w63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz5w63 View Post
Hey do what I did - buy a cheapie electric wire rope drum hoist from Harbor Freight and mount it in your garage from rafters or just behind the garage door opener from the bottom of solid joists or stringer 2x4 between joists. Back under with truck, drop hoist hook down, attach hook to hoist with "chodker" strap (from Harbor Freight) and lift then drive out (with tailgate down). I made holder for the hitch by cutting and bolting a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to a movers flat 4 wheel dolly (Harbo Freight) and then cutting 4 holes in the plywood that match the pegs from the hitch. You just drop the hitch down to the floor onto the dolly/plywood and with an attached pull rope tug it over to the side for storage. Reverse the process to reinstall (don't forget to drop tailgate before backing up under the lifted hitch - did that once and left a @#**$% dent in my tailgate - so never again for that mistake!).

I did exactly the same thing, HF hoist on a 2x8 that straddles several truss joists and a larger HF furniture dolly. It's 10 to 15 minutes to get the Reese R20 removed or installed.

BTW, the R20 is overkill for my Ultralight but I really like it for the urethane bushings that eliminate all slop and leave no metal to metal contact between the trailer and the truck. Ultra quite and smooth. Only issue was getting grease on ALL sliding parts so it would latch and unlatch smoothly.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:21 PM   #73
Wildcat 313 RE

Demco Auto-Slide for me

I bought the Demco Hijacker Auto-Slide (18K) to go in my Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab, and my wife and I both just love it! It may weight a few pounds more than some of the manual sliders, but just knowing that I'll never have to worry about my wife (or anyone who borrows my truck) destroying the cab or their 5-er's front cap (by forgetting to unlatch the slider manually) brings me a lot of peace of mind.

I went with the heavier-duty (18K) hitch because I didn't want to be right at the upper limit of the hitches' capabilities when towing. The 18K is just above my max towing limit.

As for getting it on and off the truck, there's only been one time that I really needed to remove it for hauling furniture. I used a Harbor Freight 2-ton chain hoist hung from the beams of my garage / workshop. Worked great, and I could literally lift the hitch by pulling on the chain with my pinkie... Re-installation was just as easy.
2015 Chevy 2500 HD Crew Cab 6.5' and Duramax / Allison
Demco Hijacker Auto-Slider
JimParker256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #74
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz5w63 View Post
Wish I could...but I no longer have a garage.

And even when I did, my truck was too tall to fit in there due to the steep angle of the driveway.

I've thought about just leaving it dangle from the king pin on the 5'ver...but just can't make myself do that.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #75
Casey & Carolyn

I have a 2018 Ram 3500 4x4 diesel. Had the same thing in a 2015 2500. I pull with a Curt 20K manual slider. I have the factory puck system. I remove and reinstall my hitch for every trip. Every 3-4 weeks. I unlock the 4 pucks and lift the hitch out with the trailer. Use a good cable and lock to secure the hitch to the Trialer. Adds another level of security. On my 2018 Ram because I set a little higher in the nose about all I can turn in flat ground is about 80 def. 2500 Ram 90 def was no problem. Pretty easy pretty simple.
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CC Cummins Powered
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #76

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Short bed too>

I also have a F-250 Short bed, I removed the standard hitch from my fifthwheel
Installed the REESE Revolution hitch on my camper, I now have enough clearance to achieve a 90° turn with still plenty of room between truck cab
and camper nose.
I had to cut the hitch side plate on camper (The part with all the holes) off at the bottom to get hitch high enough and still turn. I did this to achieve the
6.5" to 7.5" clearance of bed rails. The part I cut off had the VIN number,
I just tack welded it to the back of the hitch brackets.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2019 41 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #77

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Modified hitch

Reese hitch for 2014 F-250, as you can see my camper has almost square corners.
The REESE hitch moved my camper back far enough that it does not hit the cab.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F-250 Rocky.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	180202  
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2019 41 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #78
Casey & Carolyn

I have a 2018 Ram 3500 SWB crew cab with a Curt 20K slider. Have not had to slide the hitch yet. But it is always a concern one of the many things my DW watches when we are backing in to a site.
2018 Ram 3500 4x4 CC Cummins Powered
Casey r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:50 AM   #79

that's the problem when you buy a short bed truck and not a longer bed
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #80
Who Dares, Wins

It may be.. But at least I fit into those tiny @ss parking spaces.. Mostly.. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
that's the problem when you buy a short bed truck and not a longer bed

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, truck