Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #1

trailer hit cab of truck on a turn

ok im new to the fifth wheel life, but i was driving around the back of barn and turned to the right, not at a full cut, and the trailer nose hit my cab. bent the cab and cracked the nose on the trailer. my question is why? i have a 373QSI toy hauler, and a 2017 f250 truck. too back to dealer there was another set of hole on my hitch so they moved it back to them and today i took both back and still couldnt get a full turn with out trailer coming to hit truck. shouldnt you be able to turn fully? i know if you back up you can jack knife them. i need to make this turn to get out of my driveway. i have a 6'9" box on the truck.

thanks.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #2

If you're going to put a 5er on a short bed I really recommend a slider hitch!
jake wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Depends on your truck and depends on the nose of the camper. I can get a 90 on my truck with a short bed and not hit. But my corners are pretty clipped on the camper. Do you have a slider hitch. This is why they make them.. For us short bed trucks. I have one, just do not need it.. Yet.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

If the pics I am looking at online are for your model it does not seem to have clipped corners... A lot of camper there.. But my guess is the corners are full width so you need a slider if your gonna cut tight turns.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #5

dealer told me that slide was not needed, i even told them i wanted one. said new trailers was set up for shortys. the set of holes they moved the hitch to was for the 5.5 beds???
Old 07-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Depends on your truck and depends on the nose of the camper. I can get a 90 on my truck with a short bed and not hit. But my corners are pretty clipped on the camper. Do you have a slider hitch. This is why they make them.. For us short bed trucks. I have one, just do not need it.. Yet.
X2 my Silverback has pretty aggressive notches. I have a 6.5 bed with a reese goosbox. I have had it at about 90 degrees and no problem. If the fiver has a flat nose you should definitely a special hitch.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedude26 View Post
dealer told me that slide was not needed, i even told them i wanted one. said new trailers was set up for shortys. the set of holes they moved the hitch to was for the 5.5 beds???
Pin / saddle area should be right over the axle there abouts. gain, looking online, your nose does NOT appear to be clipped at all so it is NOT setup for short beds.. At least in my opinion.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 07-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Unfortunately dealers either don't know, don't understand or don't care. Mostly the last or they would have had you test it while there when installing it or had their tech test it.

Slider hitches were designed and made specifically for this issue.

While I understand you are new to the 5th wheel world, there is a certain onus on you to know whether your rig is set up properly.

With that said, I have been towing 5th wheels with short bed trucks for many years. I have a slider hitch that I've never slid.

Could I hit the cab?... yes... but I've never had to turn that sharp, nor would I want to subject my suspension/tires to those kind of forces. Have you ever seen how the tires and springs roll over on a really sharp turn? Not something I plan to do with any frequency.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Unfortunately dealers either don't know, don't understand or don't care. Mostly the last or they would have had you test it while there when installing it or had their tech test it.

Slider hitches were designed and made specifically for this issue.

While I understand you are new to the 5th wheel world, there is a certain onus on you to know whether your rig is set up properly.

With that said, I have been towing 5th wheels with short bed trucks for many years. I have a slider hitch that I've never slid.

Could I hit the cab?... yes... but I've never had to turn that sharp, nor would I want to subject my suspension/tires to those kind of forces. Have you ever seen how the tires and springs roll over on a really sharp turn? Not something I plan to do with any frequency

Best of luck getting it sorted out.

totally understand where you are coming from, i asked dealer if the hitch was tested and adj properly, they said yes, i knew i should of insisted on the slider, but i guess its live and learn, i just looked at the husky slider, im going to get ahold of dealer and get one. thanks for all the replys,
Old 07-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
ok im new to the fifth wheel life, but i was driving around the back of barn and turned to the right, not at a full cut, and the trailer nose hit my cab. bent the cab and cracked the nose on the trailer. my question is why?
thanks.
All cars and light duty trucks (except a few optional F350) have a steering wheel cut of 36-37 degrees max. That is the sharpest the front wheels will turn relative to the vehicle body. That will prevent vehicle to trailer contact when making a 90 degree turn, say at an intersection. But fivers cut inside the tow vehicle and at some point contact will happen. Maybe 120 degrees, maybe 160, maybe 180. It will happen sooner with longer trailers. Without a full steering wheel cut you should have been OK, unless maybe you cut first to the left and then to the right. Or maybe you pulled past the barn and kept turning to bring the fiver closer to the barn (greater than a 90 degree turn for the truck).

Even with a slider, it is possible for the truck and trailer to make contact, but the side of the trailer will hit the cab. Bottom line, you have to pay attention whenever you are turning and know your limitations.

FYI, the Ford cab-to-axle distance is around 40 inches and with an 8 ft wide trailer, the max angle before contact would be 56 degrees IF the back of the cab and the front of the fiver were both perfectly straight. In reality both have at least some curvature.

Now if you try to make the tightest 90 degree turn and start with the steering wheel at full lock, then the front tires are already turned 36 degrees before starting. That means the truck only has to turn 54 degrees before the front tires have completely turned 90 degrees and returning the steering wheel to center. So, IF the fiver didn't move a single inch (impossible) then the angle between truck and fiver would also be 54 degrees. In reality since the fiver will turn while making the tightest possible 90 degree turn, the worst case angle between truck cab and fiver would only be around 45 degrees.

There are only two items that will create a problem, the front of the fiver is measurably closer than 40 inches or the turn is really more than 90 degrees.
larrytbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #11
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I almost plopped the cash down to buy an Anderson hitch a few weeks back...

But I just decided to keep my slider hitch.

With my luck...

The first time out without the slider would be the first time I wished I still had it!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #12

I too have not had to use my slider. There have been times I thought I would have had to. Was a good feeling to know that I have that extra security. But as said before, know your limitations and double check if not sure. I have gotten out of the cab and visually checked to make sure. Never ASSUME anything. That is a bad word to depend on. Makes an ass-of-u-and me.
grandpamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The best solution for 6.75 ft box is a Reese Sidewinder. With my 88 degree turn cap on my Heartland Bighorn and the Reese Sidewinder I can turn a full 90 degrees. Do I normally, No! I do have a tight storage spot and having the ability to get it close to 90 helps are times.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #14

Uhhh, dealers will say anything to get that trailer off the lot. Was told our F250 would pull anything on the lot. True, but as an old trucker, will it stop it??? We have no problems. Also we're told we didn't need slider hitch. Have bumped both corners. Added the slide just to be sure.
sailtrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
The best solution for 6.75 ft box is a Reese Sidewinder. With my 88 degree turn cap on my Heartland Bighorn and the Reese Sidewinder I can turn a full 90 degrees. Do I normally, No! I do have a tight storage spot and having the ability to get it close to 90 helps are times.
X2. Sidewinder is the best option for shorter beds in my opinion. Sliders are too heavy, take up too much bed room, and seem to bind up when you need them most.

Investigate the sidewinder by Reese with the air option. Perfect solution.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #16

Quote:
BAD DEALER!!!! As you've learned the hard way, a slider hitch is almost always necessary with a short bed TV.

But that's just my opinion. I have a long bed.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I'm with you Doc, I got a slider in my short bed and have never used it. I would say that I will take the thing out and get a light one that doesn't make as much noise, but just as soon as I do that I will need for sure.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #18

Also, Keep in mind that a turn on an elevated ground area, can increase the chance of contact between the truck and camper the same as/ or more so than just a straight turn on level ground Just ask me how I know and I do have a slider.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #19
Cyber Phrenologist

The rig in the sig - Rockwood 5th and a 2007 F-150 witn 6.5ft bed, WILL MAKE a 90 deg turn ONLY IF the ground is flat and level. I figured I had wasted money on the slider.

As I found out the hard way, if there is any variation of slope, especially backing uphill, the trailer will hit the cab. Still have the dent. Almost lost a window.

Now I get out and set the slider when I need it. I left the dent there to remind me of my laziness and complacency.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #20

Interesting, I have wondered about the short beds and 5ers. I watched them in the campgrounds and they looked like an accident waiting to happen on the turns. I have always had 8' beds on my older trucks. I have 60" cab to axle and a flatbed on my 2013, so 90's are easy.

Ben
gentle_1ben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, truck