Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Always Learning

Walking on slide while retracted (calling SabreSam?)

For rest stops and when we're getting packed and unpacked, we periodically have to walk on the main living area slide of our 36QBOK while it's fully retracted (generally to get to the fridge). The floor is obviously not supported in this area (there's give when you step on it).

My question is how much use is too much? Like, is it bad to step on it at all? Or, is the occasional stop/use ok?

Any thoughts?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Here to Help

Dear customer
If I owned your RV I would refrain from being/stepping in the slide out when it is in. You will extend the longevity of your unit by doing this.

When you bring your slide out in, the floor elevates which now makes the edge you are stepping on, not supported. This has to happen so the edge doesn't damage interior flooring when it comes in and out. I strongly suggest with the ease of just bumping it out a little with a push of a button, you do so. I hope this helps.

I remind you, this is my personal opinion, and does not represent Forest River.

Thanks for owning a Sabre.
SabreSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #3

FWIW - When I am packing, the slides are the last thing to come in. When unpacking, the slides go out just as soon as my wheel chocks are in place. This would eliminate stepping on the slide during packing and unpacking. Individual slide switches would permit the slide to go out during rest stops, but many units do not have this capability.

Therefore, if you feel you must step on the slide to get to where you are going at any time while preparing to travel, traveling or preparing to unload, make or have made some hardwood blocks 2" x 6" x ? and slide them under the leading edge of the slide. This would help support the floor of the slide and I can't personally see any problem with this since it would only be a few times you would step on the floor.

The question mark above indicates that I have no idea how much clearance there is between the floor of the slide and the floor of the camper. It is not very much but a fairly tight fit should be obtained. If the blocks are used, a sturdy string should be inserted through the block and left lying out on the floor of the camper. This would let you know that you have the blocks in place and will facilitate removing them when necessary.

Curt
Curt Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #4

We absolutely never step on ours. I don't think it was designed to carry any weight while retracted, as the flexing and gross noises would indicate.
Like Curt, we load with the slide extended.
And to have SabreSam advise the same, I think that says a lot.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
H2oski

X2 on Sabresam. I wouldn't use the blocks because I would forget them. Then you know what happens.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
X2 on Sabresam. I wouldn't use the blocks because I would forget them. Then you know what happens.
Indeed!
I also thought about using blocks, but quickly dismissed it as my memory isn't that trustworthy.
And leaving them in while extending the slide could be ugly.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Always Learning

The blocks seem like a good idea, but I, too, am afraid of forgetting them. I've already forgotten to loosen my Strongarms.

We'll go for just opening the slide 1/2 way so that we can make it around the countertop without stepping on the slide from here out. It's normally not an issue, but we do use the camper at rest areas and whatnot - so it would have been nice.

I actually like the kitchen layouts where the sink is towards the back so you don't have the L countertop to get around. But, we liked everything else about this one that it all else won out!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #8

Yes, the rear kitchen units are a bit handier on the road, other than most seem to have the fridge blocked by the slide when retracted. How dumb is that!
And I never liked the idea of having the living area in the middle. I prefer the couch/recliners/tv/fireplace at the back where one person can do their thing while the DH/DW can do other stuff throughout the rest of the camper. It just feels more like a home.