Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #1

water dripping near a/c vent

My 2018 Palomino Compass 340RKC has developed a leak near front bedroom A/C duct during heavy steady rain. It doesn't drip from inside the duct but from around it at the outlet duct cover. It doesn't last long but enough to dampen the bedding. Does anyone think that the bedroom a/c could be leaking around the base as their is nothing on the roof except the a/c in the bedroom area? I either can wait until we get back home in November or try sealing the base of the a/c with a good caulk. Thanks.
navygrandparents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #2

Pull the inside cover and check the gasket from inside sounds like that is where the water is coming form. You may be able to tighten the hold down bolts slightly to seal the area.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:00 AM   #3

SeaDog,
The only thing on the inside is the 2 outlet ducts. There is no inside covers on either bedroom or living room a/c's. I was thinking about removing the 2 outside a/c covers and check for loose bolts or resealing topside. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

Had a similar problem on our Cardinal. Go up on the roof and remove the front a/c’s cover. There will be a lag screw 1/2” I believe on each corner. Using an inch pound torque wrench, torque all 4 to 55 inch pounds. We had one lag loose which was letting a small amount of water enter and travel down the duct and into the camper.Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	298.3 KB
ID:	217621
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:13 AM   #5

Retired JSO,
I guess I should have stated it is the fresh air return vent with the foam filter and not the A/C air outlet. Either way I'm going to pick up a #3 phillips screwdriver for removing the screws on the a/c covers on the roof because the standard #2 screwdriver is a tad small. I'm going to check the lag screws on the rear unit too as it can't hurt. I appreciate the tip and hopefully it works.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:52 PM   #6

To everyone that replied to my original question, I bought the #3 phillips screwdriver and tightened all lag screws on the a/c and found an area around the base of the a/c that was lacking caulking so I added some and I haven't had a leak since. Thanks for all your help.

Tags
vent, water