Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #1

Water leak when heavy rain.

We purchased our Columbus 340RKC in March and love it. We are currently on the 5th leg of our RV adventure and have survived a couple of problems. The first was a leak from behind the shower wall that ran into the basement area and leaked pretty badly. It was finally repaired at a dealer in Ocala, Fl. when they located the cold water line had been pierced by a screw during assembly. The second problem occurred last month in Tennessee when the converter went bad and killed the batteries and all 12volt to the unit which is needed to start the AC units. We came home to a 100* sweat box. They ordered the part and fixed it the next day which cost us a night in motel because it was too hot to sleep in it.
Now we have a new issue. When it rains it leaks down the inside of the back wall behind the range area. The only thing on the back wall in the drivers side corner is the rear clearance light. I have placed a bead of silicone across the light and it seems to have prevented almost all of the leak unless it pours. Do you think I should remove the light and reseal and recaulk the light before re-installing it? The dealer will only do it for cash and not warranty work. Thanks for your help everyone.
navygrandparents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #2

I would remove it clean all the old caulk off, recaulk and reinstall.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygrandparents View Post
The dealer will only do it for cash and not warranty work. Thanks for your help everyone.
On repairs like this I'd rather save the cash and do it myself so I know it's done right. A tube of good "RV Sealer" is $10-$12.

On my previous TT I had the front window re-sealed twice by the Dealer under warranty. In the end I had to re-do it myself and only then did the leak stop.

Nice thing about this day and age, even if one is totally unfamiliar with what needs to be done a quick "Google" for a How To video will yield several videos that will walk you through the process of repairing just about anything on an RV that doesn't require tools other than what are commonly in one's toolbox.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Site Team

I would remove the light and seal the hole for the power wire and the screw holes then put the light back.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #5

water leak

You are all so right. I initially did a quick seal around the top of the light like the factory does on almost anything outside that needs to be sealed and it helped greatly. I agree with removing the screws and lens, recaulk the mount holes and reinstall and then recaulk around the light base. And like you said be sure to buy a good silicone caulk and not some cheap stuff.
navygrandparents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 PM   #6

If one light needs it they all could use it. Buy a good rv sealer, not household caulk or silicone, plan a few hours and do all the upper and lower marker lights and anything that penetrates by removing, clean, seal the holes and reinstall. You won't regret it, and might be surprised by what you find as you do them. Many people put it off for a few years then find noticable rot or damage, delam, and realize it could have been prevented. I just finished a huge repair from water getting in a single bolt hole on the front of my hybrid. $10 tube of sealer is cheaper than any future repair.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:13 PM   #7

I personally prefer Proflex RV, either white or clear. The problem with silicone is that it's not as durable and nothing but silicone itself will properly stick to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Geocel-28100V.../dp/B001FC98X2
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygrandparents View Post
You are all so right. I initially did a quick seal around the top of the light like the factory does on almost anything outside that needs to be sealed and it helped greatly. I agree with removing the screws and lens, recaulk the mount holes and reinstall and then recaulk around the light base. And like you said be sure to buy a good silicone caulk and not some cheap stuff.
I only use Lexel. It drys totally clear and is VERY sticky (never fails to seal).

It will stick to anything and additionally, if you want, it is paintable.

Not cheap but GOOD Stuff!
Old 07-19-2018, 04:31 AM   #9

An Amish guy, that worked at the factory doing repair work, and NOW has his own company doing repairs to Only Cedar Creek RVs told me he only uses GeoCel MHRV 2300 clear caulk, its flexible and stands up to the sun.....and NOT to use silicone caulk. He gave me a tube, and I have also ordered a few on the internet. It isn't cheap.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #10

It is much cheaper than paying for extensive repairs due to poor quality build, andlack of routine maintenance. If it were $25 a tube id take a case over having my investment destroyed by water.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak