Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2018, 03:48 PM   #1

We are so disappointed.

We have a 2011 Puma 295kbh. We love this trailer and it has never caused us any grief until this year. The walls in the front bedroom started popping staples out and the siding on the outside started bulging. I took it to a Forrest River dealer. They removed the front and both sides over the bedroom area. The studs were loose at the bottom so they refastened them, added L brackets and put it back together. When I stopped in, the technician called me over and pointed out some other areas where the siding was wavey. He nicely told me that the trailer is very "loose" and the problems will continue. The frame is not cracked anywhere but he said that when they lift the front with the fork lift the frame flexes. They told me to take the trailer and they are going to try to lower the bill as they didn't fix the problem they just put a bandage on it. They then told me that I should either put it on a seasonal site or sell it. I find it kind of sad that the trailer is basically falling apart. Both my wife a I love the floor plan and outdoor kitchen. We're not angry but extremely disappointed. I called Puma, sent them pictures and was told that all RV's have a life of 8-10 years and ours was wearing out. Sorry but I don't believe that. We've made many great memories in our Puma but it's time to move on.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

What you are experiencing is what is known in business speak as "planned obsolescence". The builders use only the minimal amount and quality of materials needed to meet the 8-10 years. Ever wonder why old cars and even older RV's seem to last so much longer than the newer stuff? Planned Obsolescence. The 8-10 year plan stinks as some if not most folks finance their purchases using the 15 year plan to keep the monthly costs down. Manufacturers could be better, but most are not willing to pay the price and happily accept what is being sold.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:16 AM   #3
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
We have a 2011 Puma 295kbh. We love this trailer and it has never caused us any grief until this year. The walls in the front bedroom started popping staples out and the siding on the outside started bulging. I took it to a Forrest River dealer. They removed the front and both sides over the bedroom area. The studs were loose at the bottom so they refastened them, added L brackets and put it back together. When I stopped in, the technician called me over and pointed out some other areas where the siding was wavey. He nicely told me that the trailer is very "loose" and the problems will continue. The frame is not cracked anywhere but he said that when they lift the front with the fork lift the frame flexes. They told me to take the trailer and they are going to try to lower the bill as they didn't fix the problem they just put a bandage on it. They then told me that I should either put it on a seasonal site or sell it. I find it kind of sad that the trailer is basically falling apart. Both my wife a I love the floor plan and outdoor kitchen. We're not angry but extremely disappointed. I called Puma, sent them pictures and was told that all RV's have a life of 8-10 years and ours was wearing out. Sorry but I don't believe that. We've made many great memories in our Puma but it's time to move on.
I was surprised to see this. We have a smaller unit, a 2008 26RLSS, which is a travel trailer with a single slide. We have traveled over 25,000 miles with it in the eight years we have owned it. And it is still going strong. Yes, a couple of drawers are a little shabby, and we have replaced the hot water heater and repaired equipment that needed it as it occurred. We did recently replace the "living room" furniture with comfort upgrades. But the unit is basically sound. We will be taking it up the east coast in a year or two along with shorter trips in the mean time. I would certainly get a second opinion before I gave up on it.
Puma26RLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:44 AM   #4

Quality is one thing but the wonderful pothole filled roads that we pull our campers on does not help either. Extremes in weather also come into play.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:57 AM   #5

and that ladies and gentleman, is the reason I've decided...my son and I that is...to redo our old 1987 Jayco popup. It's still "SOLID", needs a new canvas, a small piece of the wood inside the roof replaced and some fittings. Frame is strong, lift system is still fully functional and in great shape. My son will carry on the great memories him and his siblings had when they were young and the great times we had in that trailer.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:04 AM   #6

I had it at another dealer, they didn't rip it apart but they said staples were popping probably due to flex. Yes we've driven over some bumpy highways but nothing too bad. The trailer has never been used in the winter.
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #7
NH Maple Maker

I would take it to an experienced welder and see if the frame could be strengthened. It seems like the TT is too new to be having that kind of problem but they do build them lighter now. Eight to ten years isn't very long for something that cost so much. My old TT was 32 years old and still solid when I sold it last year.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #8
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

There was a rash of frame flex issues back in that era of 5'vers (2008-2012ish) that are still being fixed to this day by the frame makers...I know several people who have been through this more than once!

Many have been fixed by (or the repair paid for by) the frame and/or the RV manufacturer, even though the warranties were far from over.

You might try doing a Google search on your specific year and model to see if it is one of these and perhaps find out what they did to get them fixed.

Even though the ones I'm familiar with are SOB's...they all are built on the same frames!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote