RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-23-2020, 09:25 AM   #1

What am I missing?

Hey folks, RV newbie here and my first repair attempt has made me feel VERY newbie. Want to fix central vac in my 'new to me' 2013 Palomino Columbus but can't figure out how to access it. Read a thread about removing stairs to access but can't remove stairs! I'm not usually this lame, what am I missing? Thanks y'all!
Eagleeyeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #2

I do not have your model or year of trailer. I do have a central vacuum system on my trailer. I can access my central vacuum from the passenger side of the trailer storage area in front of the entry door. There is a panel that can be slid out of the way in the storage bay and the central vacuum system is below the steps there. You might want to look in the storage bay to see if you can access it below the steps.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #3

Thanks Jim for your reply. I had opened the panel in the storage area to see if there was access to the vac before but where the unit is, under the stairs, there is a plywood wall firmly affixed with wires, plumbing, etc. going through it. I know the vacuum is back there but the wall does not appear to be built for access. Other threads mention taking out inside stairs for access but even after I took all of the screws out of the treads the treads are still firmly attached! Not sure what the screws I took out are holding Have you ever tried to remove stairs, treads?
Old 11-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #4

There are 4 screws, one in each corner of the steps on the 2nd step. Remove those screws and the vacuum is under there. You might also want to check the circuit panel / fuse panel as many people didn't like them and disabled it.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #5

Thank you for responding Don and Elaine. My 2nd step has 6 screws (2 on each side and 2 at the back), and after taking them out the stair tread doesn't budge. So much so that it's as if it is attached with screws from the underside. At any rate, thanks again!
Old 11-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
Dr. V

I have a 2015 Columbus 295 RL and the wooden steps do come off after you take the screws out. Maybe you need to lightly pry the steps with a screwdriver
dkvoelter is offline   Reply With Quote