Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
Factory Rep

Ok, I feel I must state the following. After checking with Columbus service and warranty and the supplier of our tires, here is what I know.
We are not having issues. These are not the same quality of tires that were put on RVs some years ago. I'm having a meeting with the supplier next week and will post his comments.
We feel very comfortable with the quality of tire we use. The last thing we would want is major tire issues and the warranty expense that comes with them .
Christopher Columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
Trailer Trash

With dang near 100 Columbus rigs documented over on the Facebook group, I have yet to read even ONE instance of a flat tire on a Columbus RV over on that group or here on FRF.

With that being said, what I suspect WILL happen in 5-8 years of RV use, is the aluminum wheels will corrode on the inside of bead and cause slow air leaks just like modern car/truck tires. Granted nitrogen filled tires helps minimize corrosion but corrosion happens over time. Stop in at a Discount Tire, Tires Plus, etc. store and talk to service advisor at front counter what they are experiencing with aluminum wheels and nitrogen filled tires. And you know dang wheel when people add air to their RV, car, truck, it's good ol regular free air. Not too many people pay to have nitrogen put back in their tires.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #23

Thanks, treaves, for your concern over my obvious confusion. Lucky to have folks like you on these forums.
skipperW is offline   Reply With Quote