Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #1

Wheel PSI rating...

I am planning on getting the Goodyear G614 tires early next year. Does anyone else have these wheels and are they rated for 110 PSI? I haven't had time to remove a wheel and look to see if it's stamped in the inside. This is the best pic I have that shows the wheels...

Dave & Amy
5 kids, 2 with 2 legs, 3 with 4 legs
2016 Columbus 385BH
2016 F350 6.7L PSD CC Lariat DRW
Ford factory puck system with 26.5k hitch
mach8274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:16 AM   #2

I think I have those wheels on my sabre.
I have purchased Samson 110 psi tires for them. Will be installing in the spring.

I haven't looked for max psi on the wheels. Although, they came with 80 tires, so I have no concerns with them holding 110.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #3

I have the same tires on my 381FL and have the same concerns. I had the G614's on my previous coach and it had steel valves not rubber ones so that gives me thought about how much the wheels can handle. I know you can change out the valves to steel but I still have a question about the wheels. I would like to change out the wheels and tires but I don't know if the hubs will handle heavier wheels. I need to do some research!

Okie
08 F450
USMC Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #4

Are these the wheels in question?

16" 8 Lug Bearcat Black HD Aluminum Trailer Wheel

If so, it looks like they are fine for G rated tires. I'm with Kenny, nothing to worry about here. Just swap in some metal stems and good to go. By the way, a lot of places get $350 a tire for G614's. Amazon currently has them for $307 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Unist...&keywords=G614
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #5

I have an email from FR.
I just need to send them a pic of my wheels.
Rv is not here now, so can't as of yet.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #6

I did the same when I bought my GY's Kenny. XLR told me that they do G tires from the factory as an unadvertised option on the same rims that the E's go out on so no problem there. I'm betting it will be the same in this situation....
Old 12-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #7

Just take one off and look at the backside of the wheel. It should have the max tire pressure cast onto one of the spokes. I wouldn't take a chance unless you know for sure. Running too much pressure on a wheel not rated for it can split the rim.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

I would be a little cautious if it had come with c or d's.

But, it did come with 10 ply load e 80 psi, and metal valves.
I'll find out for sure, but am sure, they will be ok.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-25-2015, 10:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Are these the wheels in question?

16" 8 Lug Bearcat Black HD Aluminum Trailer Wheel

If so, it looks like they are fine for G rated tires. I'm with Kenny, nothing to worry about here. Just swap in some metal stems and good to go. By the way, a lot of places get $350 a tire for G614's. Amazon currently has them for $307 with free shipping.

Amazon.com: Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST Radial Tire - 235/85R16 126R: Automotive
Yes...those are the wheels. Thanks for the info. I actually found a local Goodyear retailer that will sell me the tires for $300 a piece. I already have my valve stems, ready to go in when I mount my tires. Thanks for all the input guys...I appreciate it.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:54 AM   #10

Excellent deal you found on the GY's! Enjoy the worry free towing experience...
Old 12-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach8274 View Post
. I already have my valve stems, ready to go in when I mount my tires. Thanks for all the input guys...I appreciate it.
May I ask what valve stems you have? The reason I ask is I have seen some misinformation given in other threads as to what a metal stem is.

If you plan to run 110 psi, you will need a bolt-in valve stem (aka clamp-in valve stem). These type stems are rated usually for up to 200 psi.

I have read where some members are referring to a TR600HP snap in stem, as a metal stem. This is kind of a misnomer, and these snap in stems are only rated for 80-100psi.

You will need a bolt-in stem similar to one of the three in the pic below to handle 110 psi:

You cannot (well you can as it will fit, but you shouldn't) use a TR60xHP series snap in stem like in the pic below for 110 psi. Also these are not true metal stems in the sense, as some members are mistakingly referring to them as. They are snap-in rubber stems in reality.

I just want to make sure you have the correct stems and are safe.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Excellent deal you found on the GY's! Enjoy the worry free towing experience...
I thought so too! I am an Amazon prime member as well in case the local place doesn't end honoring their end of the deal. It's going to be about a month before I get them. Amazon is only $7/tire more, not a big deal.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
May I ask what valve stems you have? The reason I ask is I have seen some misinformation given in other threads as to what a metal stem is.

If you plan to run 110 psi, you will need a bolt-in valve stem (aka clamp-in valve stem). These type stems are rated usually for up to 200 psi.

I have read where some members are referring to a TR600HP snap in stem, as a metal stem. This is kind of a misnomer, and these snap in stems are only rated for 80-100psi.

You will need a bolt-in stem similar to one of the three in the pic below to handle 110 psi:

You cannot use a TR60xHP series snap in stem like in the pic below for 110 psi. Also these are not true metal stems in the sense, as some members are mistakingly referring to them as. They are snap-in rubber stems in reality.

I just want to make sure you have the correct stems and are safe.
I appreciate looking out for a fellow rv'er! Yes, I have the metal bolt in type, rated for 200 psi. They are also made for aluminum wheels, don't really know what the difference would be, maybe a thicker gasket as opposed the ones for steel wheels...
Old 12-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #14

I'm just glad I don't have to buy wheels!!
Old 12-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach8274 View Post
I appreciate looking out for a fellow rv'er! Yes, I have the metal bolt in type, rated for 200 psi. They are also made for aluminum wheels, don't really know what the difference would be, maybe a thicker gasket as opposed the ones for steel wheels...
Good deal. One more thing to watch out for though. Depending on the location of the valve stem hole in the wheel itself, may make it where you cannot use the first bolt-in stem in the picture I posted. The valve stem hole can be too close to the lip/side of the wheel. It makes it where you cannot put the washer and/or nut onto the stem and have enough room to either put a socket over the nut, or possibly even turn the nut itself. I have run across this several times with members here doing exactly what you are doing.

If this turns out to be the case with your wheels, you will need to use the bolt-in type valve stem, that is in the middle (second) of the pic above. This type stem actually has an extended nut that sticks up further and is actually smaller in diameter along with the washer, than the first stem pictured. It's special made for the type of wheels I mentioned with a valve stem hole too close to the side.

As stated, I have run across this problem with several members here and the wheels that came factory on their Forest River product. I have actually physically provided them with the appropriate stem (local member) or shown them where to purchase them if necessary. You want to make sure you have the correct valve stem before taking it all in to a tire store, as most shops will carry the first bolt-in type valve stem pictured, but not the middle one (if this what you have to have). Hope this helps.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post535157

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #16

I am going to mount the tires myself, I'm a tech at a dealership so that isn't a big deal. I will keep that in mind with the valve stems. I already have the first ones but I will try them first to make sure they fit. I appreciate you disclosing that info, that would have slowed me down a bit.

Dave & Amy
5 kids, 2 with 2 legs, 3 with 4 legs
2016 Columbus 385BH
2016 F350 6.7L PSD CC Lariat DRW
Ford factory puck system with 26.5k hitch
Old 12-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #17

You’ll know that changing from a polyester designed tire to a high pressure steel cased tire involves a little more than just mounting the new tires, right?

The new rims need to have steel, bold-in, valve stems. New rims? Yep, there is only one acceptable rim size for the GY G614. It’s dimensions are 16x6.5”. Goodyear is the tire builder, ask them. Will they approve a 6” wide rim? I doubt it. So, ask the trailer manufacturer. In this case they can trump the tire manufacturer. Will they? I doubt it. In any case. If you’re going to use something less than recommended, get it on the bill of sale and let the seller take the responsibility. Will the seller take the responsibility?
Old 12-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #18

The 6" wide wheels that 99% of trailers come with are perfectly fine for the G614. Yes, I called GY. Yes they told me that. The 6.5" listed on their site is a "recommended median" rim width, not a minimum rim width and not a maximum width. RV manufacturers send out the G614 from the factory all the time on 6" wide rims as well. Trailer tire and wheel sellers also sell the package all the time.

As to the valve stems, it was discussed in length above.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #19
Oklahoma Proud

Op.
I just looked at my pile of 8 lug wheels i keep for spares and what not for all my 8 lug trailers.
On most of the wheels they had a load rating of 3750pounds but not a single one has a psi rating.
Honestly 110 psi is less than half the pressure that is rated to be exerted on the lug contact area with that load rating on 8 lugs. (Yes i did the math on it)
Obviously the psi rating is a non issue compared to the load placed on the wheel.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #20
Oklahoma Proud

Oh and i haven't ever run the good years, but I've ran 12 G rated tires over the past few years on equipment trailers on those same 3750 # wheels with both bolt on and snap in high pressure valves. At the time i was unaware of the psi rating on snap in valves.
But anyways i never had wheel or valve stem issues but ive had tons of blowouts or throwing of "gator backs". Thats just life on the road! And yes my tires and wheels saw abuse from gravel roads, 100°+ temps and life on a tripple axle trailer. Im usually doing good to get 2 years service life out of trailer tires.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel