Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #1

Wintering in Florida

The DW and I would like to spend some time in Florida this winter. We figure about 6-8 weeks. We would like to stay on the gulf side, maybe splitting our time between the coast and a bit inland. I would like to be south enough to avoid the cold weather that was experienced in Northern Florida this past winter. Can anyone recommend any campgrounds or RV parks to us?

Thanks

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

Try Playa Del Rio in Perdido Key near Pensacola. I go there in the summer and they just redid the park. They have a fair amount of Snow Birds.

You can also look at St. Rosa and Pensacola RV Parks.
F-250, 6.0 PSD, 3:73 Rear End
2006 Flagstaff 8528CKSS
safety guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidceder View Post
The DW and I would like to spend some time in Florida this winter. We figure about 6-8 weeks. We would like to stay on the gulf side, maybe splitting our time between the coast and a bit inland. I would like to be south enough to avoid the cold weather that was experienced in Northern Florida this past winter. Can anyone recommend any campgrounds or RV parks to us?

Thanks

How cold was the weather in northern Florida? In Wisconsin anything above freezing would have been welcome this past winter!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #4

As WI born and raised now living in northern FL it was not cold. I think one day required a light jacket!
Nights camping 2013: 15
Nights camping 2014: 22
RoamingBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #5

We like Silver Palms in Okeechobee it's mid state at the N end of the lake. On the Gulf side there is a new park in Fort Meyers called Cypress Trail. Also a nice place. We found it smart to stay south of Orlando for better weather. Okeechobee isn't much of a town but the people are very nice traffic isn't bad and the park is very nice clean great pool and always something going on. I'm no expert on RV parks in FL but those two I know to be very nice and not to expensive.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
semi-senior member

Quote:

Thanks
Take a look at Nature Coast Landing RV Resort just north of Crystal River Fl. You can rent lots from owners or buy one if you like.It is about 80 miles North of Tampa. It is very nice and clean. Check it out online. It is in a quiet area yet within driving distance of most anything in central Fl. We really like it.
2014 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7HO
Aisin 6speed Auto
SE Mo
denandra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Quote:

Thanks

If you want consistent mild temps for the winter in Florida...stay south of the Tampa/Orlando area as you look for camp sites.
We once resided north of Tampa and south of West Palm Beach...winter was much nicer in WPB

Old 06-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #8

We used to go to Destin in the panhandle but the cold weather drove us farther South. We like Three Lakes RV Resort in Hudson FL. It's about 25-30 miles North of Tampa. It had a few cold days last winter but nothing like the panhandle.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #9

We have spent the past two winters about 30 miles south of Tampa at a park called Hide- A- Way resort in Ruskin Florida. It's located on the Little Manatee River. They have all sorts of planned activity's and side trips. This past winter anywhere north of Tampa saw frost and a lot more rain than we did. The people there are great and not snobby like at some parks. Check out their web site, it's a 55 and older park also.

Bill and Bonnie.
WRROST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:05 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRROST View Post
We have spent the past two winters about 30 miles south of Tampa at a park called Hide- A- Way resort in Ruskin Florida. It's located on the Little Manatee River. They have all sorts of planned activity's and side trips. This past winter anywhere north of Tampa saw frost and a lot more rain than we did. The people there are great and not snobby like at some parks. Check out their web site, it's a 55 and older park also. Bill and Bonnie.
We winter at Fawn Ridge in Davenport, FL and up 27 13 miles at Thousand Trails Orlando.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:40 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
We winter at Fawn Ridge in Davenport, FL and up 27 13 miles at Thousand Trails Orlando.

Other than the hassle of moving every 2 weeks, you can't beat the price of your wintering in Florida!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #12

Quote:

Thanks
If you are looking to be on the ocean, Outdoor Resort of America, Melbourne Beach, one side is on the Indian River the other on the Ocean. Gated, paved, great activities and amenities. All privately owned, however there is rental office or rent from individuals. Gets you just south of Orlando, and provides milder nighttime temperatures.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Other than the hassle of moving every 2 weeks, you can't beat the price of your wintering in Florida!
We kinda enjoy the change of scenery. Don't particularly like the hassle of finding a site at TT with their messed up system, but meet some interesting people. Fawn Ridge is nice with all the sites having level concrete pads/patios where you just back in and put the stabilizers down and enjoy the quiet.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
2014 XLR 27HFS

Look into Fort Desoto. Very nice location.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #15

We have stayed at Riverside Rv Resort & Campground In Arcadia Fl. Very nice place. We will be staying for the month of March this coming winter. About 30 min. from west coast beaches and on the Peace River if you like to fish or just watch the gators. Three levels of sites. Look for Port Charlotte or North Port on the map. Glenn
Glennb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #16

look at big tree rv resort arcadia, fl. in the country but not far from the gulf
mhjr5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #17

If you like state parks,there are a few around Bradenton area. Lake Manatee St.Pk. is
were we have spent the last 2 winters.
dkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #18

you also have Myakka river state park
mhjr5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #19

Has anyone ever stayed at the Imperial Bonita Estates MH and RV Resort in Bonita Springs, FL? It is located between Naples and Fort Myers? We are looking for a RV park in that area for a one month stay in the winter? Thanks...
JoLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM   #20

Off subject just a little. I'll be towing a Forest River Surveyor from NJ to Flagler Bch. area in early Feb. '14. Can I run the furnace and hot water heater while towing?
Thanks in advance, Paul
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter