Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
csc

BEST tire pressure monitoring system/dual axle

Want to get a good tire pressure monitoring system for my trailer that accurate. Any suggestions and thoughts greatly appreciated.
csc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #2

I don't know about best or worst but I use the TPMS TST-507. I've used it for about 3 years now and have had no problems. They work as advertised and provide good peace of mind.

Marty
Old 04-02-2019, 09:04 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by csc View Post
Want to get a good tire pressure monitoring system for my trailer that accurate. Any suggestions and thoughts greatly appreciated.
I know many on here have an aversion to searching but if you'll do a search for TPMS, you will find many threads on the subject with several different recommendations. I also use the TST507 system with flow-through sensors.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
Site Team

The real value of a TPMS is to alert you of unexpected changes in you tires. Most of the brand name ones have fairly good accuracy, however they should not be used to replace a good tire pressure gauge. Readings will vary during travel depending on road surface, speed, outside temp and sun/shade side of RV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
csc

Thanks guys for the info. Greatly appreciated.
csc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martsing View Post
I don't know about best or worst but I use the TPMS TST-507. I've used it for about 3 years now and have had no problems. They work as advertised and provide good peace of mind.

Marty
x2 for TST

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #7

I have to put in a good word for the OEM Ford trailer TPMS system available on the 2017-2019 Super Duty trucks with the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System from the factory. It will display the trailer tire pressures (up to 6) on the dash, just like the truck tire pressures, and will alert if there is pressure loss. I like it because it is completely integrated into the truck's dash.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
Multi-Slacker

+1 for TST 507 and for searching existing threads.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #9

Tire Pressure Monitor Systems are an example of the classic battle between the Engineering Department and Marketing Department, with the Executive Department thrown in for good measure.

The Engineering Department designs what they feel is the perfect monitoring system.

The Marketing Department says "It's too expensive, we can never sell it".

The Executive department tells the Engineering Department to make it cheaper.

Engineering does so by utilizing cheaper parts, removes features, and decreases reliability.

The market is loaded with all kinds of TPMS systems with prices ranging from that of an expensive tire pressure gauge to the price of a premium tire for a truck/motor coach. Some have instruction manuals written in 'Chinglish' and others in the more traditional "American English".

Some have flexibility to be programmed to display pressures on tow vehicles AND trailers with more tires on it than a small tire store might stock.

Others come with four pre-programmed sensors and if one fails or is lost, you buy another system.

Now to answer the original question, what is the best TPMS.

For some it's one that gives them the most reliable status of their tires at all times the vehicle is moving.

For others it's something that puts numbers on a screen for the lowest possible cost.

Me? I have a TST-507 on my trailer. Love it because on any given day I might be towing any one of 6 trailers and I can install sensors on each one, assign a number to each trailer, and when i hook up just move to the programming for that trailer to monitor the tires. No need for 6 different systems. That and a whole host of other features that tell me what's going on with my trailer tires. Won't keep them from loosing air due to puncture or internal failure but it will let me know I have a problem LONG before someone pulls alongside and honks/points at my trailer.

Consider the price of that cheap TPMS versus the cost of repair when a tire fails and your system only updates tire pressures every 5-10 minutes versus "real time".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #10

I have the TST 507 for the last several years, saved my behind several times. Wish I had it 30 years ago, would have saved me a lot of camper and truck damage and a lot of money on repairs over the years. Don't just rely on the tire monitor. Have a Temp gauge reader and a good tire gauge and on every other stop or so have a visual over view of all of your tires. The temp/PSI sensor will not show you that 'bulge' in the side wall or tread... hand 'feel' your tires for 'changes'..... 'that' 'rock' in the tread may punch through or some 'steel' belts may give way because YOU/ME Curbed the 'tires' a time or two. The TST 507 is good to have, but it is not a 'cure all' from 'looking' at your tires..... (and looking at everything else around the camper...) (it is 'sad' to see a camper pull out of a campground and have their TV antenna up in the air and the next low limb rips it off...)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlatter View Post
I have to put in a good word for the OEM Ford trailer TPMS system available on the 2017-2019 Super Duty trucks with the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System from the factory. It will display the trailer tire pressures (up to 6) on the dash, just like the truck tire pressures, and will alert if there is pressure loss. I like it because it is completely integrated into the truck's dash.
Wouldn't it be nice of all Pickups came with a system like that.

I have a nagging feeling that a lot of people who tow trailers still pass on that option because they perceive it to be too expensive.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by csc View Post
We like our EZTIRE !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #13

I have the TireMinder Smart TPMS that uses your smartphone. Works great.
kurtsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:01 PM   #14
Old Engineer

TST 507 TPMS with 6 flow through sensors.

4 cap sensors on towed.

No problems, reliable and accurate system.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #15
Too old to be too smart

Just yesterday, my TST-507 system again did it's job by alerting me to a slow leak in one of my truck's tires. I wasn't towing. Yes, in addition to my travel trailer, my MY2000 Ford also has sensors. I value the peace of mind enough to have bought an additional four sensors.

I was able to get off the freeway to a safe place to change the tire while the (normally 65 PSI) front tire still had 45 PSI.

In the over-five years I have had TST, I have more than paid for the system in the cost of tires alone that have not been ruined by being run-flat, not to mention the potential damage caused by rubber and belts flung all over the place.

Would I do it all over again?

You can BET I would!

P.S. Get the color monitor.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:59 PM   #16

Have the TST 507 with cap sensors. Excellent product. Comes with signal repeater. I turned off the repeater and the unit works great without it on my 35 ft bumper pull. I parked my trailer in the road and brought the unit in the house to charge. As soon as I plugged it into my computer it tuned itself on automatically and read my two tires out in the street. Had to be over 50 feet, through a living room wall and closed front door. Kinda wonder why it comes with a repeater? Amazing.

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3 Max Tow
alb2tpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlatter View Post
How did you get these set up? Did you have to have a ford dealer install them?
Bluej777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, pressure, tire