RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-15-2020, 08:57 PM   #1

Campground App

What is everyone's favorite app for campground reviews? I prefer to stay in state parks but am open to private as well. I am asking so I can start planning two trips my family and I would like to take over the next few years.

We are based in Columbus, OH. First trip will include Niagra Falls (I have never been), Burilgton, VT (I used to spend 2 weeks tenting there each summer out of college), the White Mtns, the Adirondacks, Acadia NP, Lake Winnepesaukee, NH, Cape Cod, and a few other New Englad stops to visit family.

Second trip is a loop around either Lake Superior or Lake Huron. Maybe we need a third trip.

The plan would be to take a few weeks for each trip. I'm hoping to be ready to boondock for a few nights by then as well. In addition to apps/websites for campground reviews any advice on planning trips like this will be appreciated.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #2
...far N Georgia!

in all our years and 100,000 miles of travel all over this great country, including Alaska, and the great-white-north, I've used mostly the simple and free Google Maps on my laptop and iphone, with satellite views and ever street views of the rv park or campground, finding rv parks and campgrounds in the area I want to drive to/thru, satellite overview of the sites and positions, and certainly the website and other information attached to that map pinpoint.
PassportAmerica also has a great app, and we used it extensively to find 'their' member sites, for the 50% nightly discount, which is a great option to state parks and other campgrounds.

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:50 PM   #3

We're a bit sceptical of campground reviews. We use Google maps also. The satellite view is very helpful once you find where you want to camp. I've passed by more than one campground when I saw the satellite view. They do have campground reviews.

The other app I like is Park Advisor which you can use to show almost all types of campgrounds, services, gas stations, etc.

We've learned to scale back our ambitious plans for travel. Sometimes planning less sites to see allows you to actually enjoy the trip.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #4

We found the All Stays camp &RV app has lots of great information, you can also set the app to find only the campsite you want.
The height feature has been very helpful. The app was well worth the $10 fee.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #5

X2 on park advisor. It allows you to filter some aspects for a cleaner view. You have the ability to go to a cg's website and go to a google earth view
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
X2 on park advisor. It allows you to filter some aspects for a cleaner view. You have the ability to go to a cg's website and go to a google earth view
X3...Great app, with great features that have really helped us make memories traveling!
Old 08-16-2020, 08:29 PM   #7

Thank you for the responses do far. I currently use Ggogle maps to check out campgrounds that I know where they are.

It's the finding campgrounds along the route that I struggle with. I will check these suggestions out.

I know my itinerary seems full. I am in the planning phase right now. My wife and I are transitioning to jobs that we can do 100% remote. If that works we can take a month or two. If not, we will adjust to accommodate 2-3 weeks.

2020 Rockwood Roo 19
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #8

If you know where you are going then finding a camp is easy. Of your taking a multiple day or weeks long trip and you’ve never been there before then knowing where you will be 6 or 7 hours into your day can be a challenge.

If you have tight budget just stick with google maps and get Allstays Camp and RV. Allstays is a great app and a 1 time charge.

If you want a trip planner then look at the free demo of RVtripwizard.com. It is not an app and it is not free. $40/year bit in my opinion well worth it. It is a tool that has it all. All campgrounds, reviews, safe tv trip routing, elevation/grade, street view, satellite view. It’s all there.

I planned a 7000 mile, 71 day trip from Florida to Washington State and back. Had my route and all my camp reservation by distance, date. Reservation number. Easy to modify.

If your only going for a few days or -laces you have been before you don’t need this. Just check it out... rvtripwizard.com
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #9

So far I like Park Advisor....have heard Allstays is great but so far only into our 2nd season of camping Park Advisor has worked very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
What is everyone's favorite app for campground reviews? I prefer to stay in state parks but am open to private as well. I am asking so I can start planning two trips my family and I would like to take over the next few years.

We are based in Columbus, OH. First trip will include Niagra Falls (I have never been), Burilgton, VT (I used to spend 2 weeks tenting there each summer out of college), the White Mtns, the Adirondacks, Acadia NP, Lake Winnepesaukee, NH, Cape Cod, and a few other New Englad stops to visit family.

Second trip is a loop around either Lake Superior or Lake Huron. Maybe we need a third trip.

The plan would be to take a few weeks for each trip. I'm hoping to be ready to boondock for a few nights by then as well. In addition to apps/websites for campground reviews any advice on planning trips like this will be appreciated.
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #10

I use RVParky. I have the app on my phone and use the rvparky.com website at home when planning my trip. Haven't had any issues with it. No cost.

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #11

X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I use RVParky. I have the app on my phone and use the rvparky.com website at home when planning my trip. Haven't had any issues with it. No cost.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:32 PM   #12

Campendium
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, mpg