Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2020, 01:52 PM   #1

Had 25RR for 18 months now, 1st trip soon: Furnace question

I am finally getting ready for a trip south (unless they lockdown the whole country) and I don't know the first thing about lighting my furnace.
Had RV inspected at General RV in Brownstown last fall after purchase and all was reported good.
But I know nothing about the furnace in this rig. To be honest I can't even figure out the regulator between the tanks and can't ID which furnace I have. The paperwork has at least 20 different model numbers and I have no idea if I have to light a pilot of if its self igniting.
I have 2 tanks and one is full. Not sure how the regulator works or if it adjust itself. Book says it is capable of automatic change-over.
How can I ID the model # of the unit to research the operation of the furnace?
Just for some additional info, I have no knowledge of LP gas furnace operations but it can't be far off from natural gas like I have in my home.
2014 Forest River Grey Wolf 25RR
Be gentle as I am a newbie
Old 12-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #2

Let's start with the furnace. IF you set the thermostat to heat and temperature above inside temp. the furnace will come on. The blower will start and run for a minute , then the igniter will fire the propane and heat will come out. Once it reaches desired temperature the heater will shut of propane . The blower will continue to run to cool down unit before shutting off.
If you have 2 LP tanks the regulator will have an indicator and a lever. Both tanks full the trailer will pull propane from the tank the lever is pointing to. When that tank empties the regulator will draw propane from the other tank. To refill the tank, the lever should be moved to point to the full tank, then remove empty and have it refilled. Then install it and slowly turn it on. Some people will leave one tank turned off. This way when the tank is empty there will be no propane going to trailer. Then you would have to go out and switch to the other tank. The reason to do this is because there is no indications of the tank switch over and when you notice no propane, both tanks will be empty. Usually happens at 2 or 3 am. Unless you have a spare full tank, you'll have no heat.
WD4LTO
Bookumdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
I am finally getting ready for a trip south (unless they lockdown the whole country) and I don't know the first thing about lighting my furnace.
Had RV inspected at General RV in Brownstown last fall after purchase and all was reported good.
But I know nothing about the furnace in this rig. To be honest I can't even figure out the regulator between the tanks and can't ID which furnace I have. The paperwork has at least 20 different model numbers and I have no idea if I have to light a pilot of if its self igniting.
I have 2 tanks and one is full. Not sure how the regulator works or if it adjust itself. Book says it is capable of automatic change-over.
Just for some additional info, I have no knowledge of LP gas furnace operations but it can't be far off from natural gas like I have in my home.

Providing you have a ducted furnace, locate the louvered grill and remove it. Then remove the screws that fasten the furnace cover to the furnace and remove it. You should see a data plate attached to the burner housing. The model number will begin with an SF or NT. The NT series is only used in Park Models (110V). The serial number will be a 9 digit number.

Here are some manuals for your reference:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban Furnace Service Manual.pdf (4.92 MB, 56 views)
File Type: pdf Suburban SF installation-manual.pdf (1.03 MB, 30 views)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookumdanno View Post
Let's start with the furnace. IF you set the thermostat to heat and temperature above inside temp. the furnace will come on. The blower will start and run for a minute , then the igniter will fire the propane and heat will come out. Once it reaches desired temperature the heater will shut of propane . The blower will continue to run to cool down unit before shutting off.
So if I understand you are saying it is self igniting? No pilot for me to light?
Old 12-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
So if I understand you are saying it is self igniting? No pilot for me to light?
Correct
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Correct
Thanks. The service manual hopefully will not be needed but will be of great value if I need to troubleshoot a problem. Dark here already but with temps near 38 tomorrow I will try to fire it up. Hoping to head south to visit daughter in Texas and maybe a swing over to AZ to see a couple of friends, but this virus thing has me worried. Our governor here just extended the NO indoor dining into January... Hope she don't put up a wall while I'm gone.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:06 PM   #7

just a couple of little tidbits.

if the lever on the changeover regulator has a tank selected and that tank foes empty the little window on the regulator should show red. it will show green if the selected tank is not empty. but even if it shows red for the selected tank it will still draw propane from the other tank. you need to check the red / green status as you use propane. once a tank goes red flip the lever to the other tank and get the tank that went empty refilled. it will only show status of the tank the lever has selected.

when you run the auto igniting furnace make sure the fan speed control is set to auto. if it is set to high or low the a/c blower motor will also come on when the fan ignites. this cause many people to think that the a/c is running at the same time as the furnace. it is not, only the a/c blower is running.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

This FAQ thread explains the propane automatic changeover:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1649595

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #9

Today I purged the LP lines by lighting the stove top burners then set the thermostat to mid-60's and the furnace blower kicked on as it supposed to. I stepped out of the RV for several minutes watching from a distance the exhaust for the furnace and when I approached it and felt heat. I stepped into the RV to feel the heat blowing out of 2 heat vents.
This was way too easy but as I never have lit the furnace before, it was a bit intimidating.
Thanks for the guidance all of you who responded. I feel better knowing it is a self-igniting furnace. Next I will dive into the hot water tank and see if that has a pilot or if I am lucky that it will also be self-igniting, LOL.
One thing that disappoints me is I do not see and heat vent in the forward bunk area. Questioning how to get heat directly into that area leads me to believe I need a pack a small fan to help distribute heat when necessary.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:29 PM   #10

If your heater has not been used before you should let it run for at least an hour or so with some windows and vents open.
You will need to burn off the manufacturing oils. Nasty odor.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #11

Self-igniting

Quote:
Today I purged the LP lines by lighting the stove top burners then set the thermostat to mid-60's and the furnace blower kicked on as it supposed to. I stepped out of the RV for several minutes watching from a distance the exhaust for the furnace and when I approached it and felt heat. I stepped into the RV to feel the heat blowing out of 2 heat vents.
The industry refers to the "self-igniting" feature as Direct Spark Ignition (DSI). RV furnaces and water heaters all seem to have have DSI. (Ovens mostly do not.)
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #12

Check to see if your water heater has both electric and gas heating options. The gas will also be self igniting. Don’t turn the heating sources on without water in the he tank. Without water you will burn out the electric heating element.

Be possible way to circulate hot air from the furnace is to set the fan speed control to hi or low. With it set this way the a/c blower motor will come on when the furnace is on. Only the blower motor, not the actual a/c compressor. This is designed to circulate the warm air from the furnace.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:05 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the guidance all of you who responded. I feel better knowing it is a self-igniting furnace. Next I will dive into the hot water tank and see if that has a pilot or if I am lucky that it will also be self-igniting, LOL.
As was said, no pilot on the water heater. Uses DSI, just like the furnace.
Nearly all modern RVs no longer have pilots that need to be lit, other than the oven.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:

This thread may help you as it has links to lots of things that newbies (as you stated) need to know.

Hope it helps:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post1784008

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace