Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #41

Some time ago I was going to set up the Whitehouse.gov on my wife's laptop. Had a brainf@rt and typed whitehouse.com. That was wrong it was a XXX site. I laughed at my mistake but my wife was NOT amused!

Tony, and Vicky
fenton04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:33 AM   #42

Gosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton04 View Post
Some time ago I was going to set up the Whitehouse.gov on my wife's laptop. Had a brainf@rt and typed whitehouse.com. That was wrong it was a XXX site. I laughed at my mistake but my wife was NOT amused!
Made that error too, but it was back in the 1990s. Thanks for the memory.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:51 AM   #43
jkoenig24

Sadly, you've opened a HUGE can of worms you now have to deal with. You did NOT buy security for your computer. You paid a SCAMMER AND, gave them the keys to your life. If you haven't done so, call your credit card company (and debit card company if you're foolish enough to use debit cards) and report the scam (also notify your bank / financial businesses you deal with. I'd also notify ALL THREE Credit Reporting agencies AND, have a LOCK placed on each account so that the scammer cannout take out credit in your name). Ask to have the charge cancelled. I would also notify the FBI (they have a division for computer scams). As already mentioned, BE SURE you type the EXACT url you want to reach. If you're off by even ONE character, you're VERY likely to be connected to a scammer. Good luck; you're going to need it.

PS: you'll need to be HYPER vigilant for YEARS to come. Your data is likely being sold and resold on the Dark / Deep web and, many "bad actors" know to sit on stolen data for years hoping you've gone back to you previously careless ways. Then they'll try to take a "second bite" of the apple.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:45 AM   #44

I love/hate my Garmin. GPS units are better when used with traditional paper maps in my opinion. I have gotten into more trouble when blindly using a GPS without looking at the route in detail. For that Garmin has a quirky software called base camp. But again I get to know the route more detailed before traveling. The last trip I upgraded my maps yet Garmin directed me to closed roads and long detours. My return trip was routed with a free state map.

In my opinion Garmin needs to be aware of the issues with bogus websites and purchase those misspelled sites and redirect to the official site. But that's is if they were concerned about issues their customers could have. That alone should indicate their corporate culture.

About 4 years ago I came home to my wife upset about an error message on here computer. I should have known better but fell for it ,even calling the displayed phone number and allowing access to her computer,yikes!
Once they got going they requested payment to renew my windows license i realised it was a scam,hung up and disconnted my computer. I rebooted and did a system restore to a week earlier. For about a year afterwards we would get scam calls about our computer but we ignored them and eventually they went away.
Caller ID ROCKS!
Today I definitely would buy a new harddrive and reinstall windows. No doubt about it.
Allways check the web address in your browser to be sure you are where you want to be on the internet.
Lastly Happy camping 2021 and beyond!
johnandval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #45

Working with bogus Garmin

Thanks all..yep go money back into my account thanks to my smart children and some of your comments .... Wife has not used computer since and is dumping it..as obvious it has been hacked...so getting a new one...
AustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #46

To all of you that responded to my concern about my Garmin GPS...now with some expert help we did get money back and did find this was not Garmin. I tried to contact the Garmin company with same results I got with some gal coming on the chat line and wanting to send to the so called technicians...even went in to see if I could buy a new one and up pops that gal...who refuses to tell me who she is, where she is, or if she works for the Garmin Company ......only wants me to hook up and do what she says....Never again...
AustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinS View Post
Thanks all..yep go money back into my account thanks to my smart children and some of your comments .... Wife has not used computer since and is dumping it..as obvious it has been hacked...so getting a new one...
No need for a new computer unless you really want a new one. Maybe it's old and you just want a newer model? Just do a complete restore which wipes out everything and installs a fresh copy. This will eliminate any small problem programs that might have gotten installed. I did that with my mom's hacked computer after she had passed away. I am keeping it now as it is newer than the 20 year old laptop I had been using. I did add memory and upgrade to a SSD hardrive, not that it was needed, just because and it runs great now.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for coming back and letting know you had good news. The majority of the posters here actually care about the outcome of threads we interact in. And we love it when the outcome is good.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Purchased Garman GPS couple years ago with a life time update for maps etc. Planning trips so tried to upgrade upgrade. Went on line to Garman and a chat line gal popped up. She was unable to upgrade on my computer so transferred me to a technician. Again no luck..long story but moved e to my wife's computer and like wise telling my wife the had been hacked by Russians. Tech name was Tomas HoodSaid he could solve problem with new security system. We fell for this and got our VISA number and personal info and said he was fixing our Garman spending about 40 min doing something and said he was done. Later call from the Chat gal said to hook up MY computer and she would down load maps that I had assumed the tech already did..(something started to stink about this deal. ) The Chat gal a different one said she was sending two documents I needed to sign.
I never did get a response if the maps were added by by the tech or one of the chat gals. One did send me a bill tht did not clarify why I ws paying 399.89 or what the tech had really done and why now they are able to down load on y computer but did all this work on my wife's computer. Nothing sen on this new security system I bought and a bill that was from some company called IGEOFIX and not Garman I would like to know why I paid for security on my wife's computer and now they are able to send upgrade using my computer ? what is going on. I assumed my wife and I were working with the Garman company not some unknown company. I would like information on what we paid 400 dollars for and a copy of those document that show some Russian firm took over my wife’s computer. Also why was it hard for Garman to down load to my Garman using my computer as they had done in the past. Their last email was. Dale, “ Hi, Please print & sign, scan this document and send it same email address and you have save this document for future security reference. Thanks Warm Regards iGEOFIX Jul 3, 2021, at 4:08 PM, Varun Grover <billing@igeofix.com>
Daughter came home who is a trouble shooter for Wells Fargo let me have it, called bank and canceled my VISA called the only contact we had about this company IGEOFIX finding they had no contact with Garman. She reminded me my magic phone that had GPS on it and I could buy a new GPS for much less then 400 dollars. some research and reminded dad I had a magic phone that she would show me how to use the GPS on it and I had no need for the Garman. We ent on Google 6 times to Garman upgrade getting six different Chat gals. All started with can we upgrade your Garman...Asekd if they worked for Garman anywhere they were were met with the person hanging up. One did say no she did not work for Garman. We also tried to get ahold of those that sell Garman GPS and each time there was that Chat Line Gal even at Wall Mart or other stores that sell Garman that came on. We have cancelled our VISA and have new one. After finding it is impossible to reach Garman we have no idea if they are in on this scam but mine is now in her garbage and using my phone thanks to my daughter
I had a similar experience with a download from Garmin back on March. I was trying to upgrade my maps thru the website and I was directed to a person from India that said my computer was corrupted. He said Garmin hired him to offer a service to clean up the computer and load a better antivirus and firewall. At first I did not believe him but as we continued to talk I agreed. He wanted about $300 for a three year service plan and I settled on a one year for $130. He convinced me he was working for Garmin and the bill would come from Garmin so I let him clean my computer and he installed Trend Micro virus protection. The next day I got worried and contacted Trend Micro and they verified their software was on my computer but the activation code was a clone. I then contacted Discover and challenged the charge. That afternoon the guy called and wanted to know why I stopped payment and what my worry was. I explained the clone activation code and he said it was a agreement between Garmin and Twin Micro and it was good. I reluctantly agreed to allow the charge to stay. I have good service and as far as I can tell Trend Micro is doing its job. The invoice was from Garmin and it works and I have not had any computer problems. I agree there is something going on with Garmin map upgrades I do not understand
silverhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #50

There's one born...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhair View Post
I had a similar experience with a download from Garmin back on March. I was trying to upgrade my maps thru the website and I was directed to a person from India that said my computer was corrupted. He said Garmin hired him to offer a service to clean up the computer and load a better antivirus and firewall. At first I did not believe him but as we continued to talk I agreed. He wanted about $300 for a three year service plan and I settled on a one year for $130. He convinced me he was working for Garmin and the bill would come from Garmin so I let him clean my computer and he installed Trend Micro virus protection. The next day I got worried and contacted Trend Micro and they verified their software was on my computer but the activation code was a clone. I then contacted Discover and challenged the charge. That afternoon the guy called and wanted to know why I stopped payment and what my worry was. I explained the clone activation code and he said it was a agreement between Garmin and Twin Micro and it was good. I reluctantly agreed to allow the charge to stay. I have good service and as far as I can tell Trend Micro is doing its job. The invoice was from Garmin and it works and I have not had any computer problems. I agree there is something going on with Garmin map upgrades I do not understand
There's one born every minute.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #51

I really don’t understand what’s going on here. I just plugged my Garmin RV780 into my computer a few minutes ago and it showed 4 updates available. I clicked continue, and it’s downloading and installing them now while I wait.
Why are people searching the web for updates? Is it something to do with older devices?
I used to have a many years old Tom-Tom that worked the same way. Just connect it and it would find available updates.
Virginian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:20 PM   #52

Here is another scam to look out for. Got a call from someone saying they represent Comcast. Person said company has been getting calls about how high bills are and going with other companies. (That would not be a lie). Said they would reduce my bill 20% monthly and would I be interested in doing so. But the kicker would be to pay 5 months ahead ($250.00) and they would pull 1/5 of advance each month on the bill. I promptly hung up. Bet the first month bill to draw from advance payment Comcast would have no idea what that is about and monthly payment is actually due. Gotta say that was a good one!
Old 07-16-2021, 10:01 PM   #53

Quote:
f it is the same as in my case with Visa, After we cancelled our card for a new one fearing it had been compromised we were told by Visa any credits would be allowed to the old cards but charges would be blocked.
YES, what he said...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #54

Wow, this thread *facepalm*

I will share my experience.. I tried to update my Garmin I bought well on a trip where I just about tossed my Alpine GPS out the window.
When I downloaded and installed the maps it basically bricked my device. It was sooo slow after, and eventually crashed.
Well I understand it was getting older I have yet to replace it. We either use our phones or the built-in GPS in our tow vehicle.
They definitely have there place, and have come along way though.

Best of luck to the individuals who have compromised their credentials.
HVACGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #55
jkoenig24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I really don’t understand what’s going on here. I just plugged my Garmin RV780 into my computer a few minutes ago and it showed 4 updates available. I clicked continue, and it’s downloading and installing them now while I wait.
Why are people searching the web for updates? Is it something to do with older devices?
I used to have a many years old Tom-Tom that worked the same way. Just connect it and it would find available updates.
That's the way it SHOULD work AS LONG AS you don't muck it up. Not everybody follows instructions (heck, LOTS of people don't keep whatever documentation that may have been included with a device. MANY of today's devices come with virtually NO documentation which causes problems of its' own). Also, not all GPS devices sold come with Lifetime Maps (and Traffic) which can cause further confusion. These days, the term "Lifetime" has been twisted to mean WHATEVER the manufacturer wants it to mean. A device may be considered "dead" or "obsolete" in as little as three years. Manufacturers rely on the majority of the buying public to be gullible fools and figure that a disappointed user WILL pay for a new unit.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:13 PM   #56

This thread has given me a headache.
Scammers seem to be getting more convincing. When in doubt, cancel the charge on your credit card.

You shouldn't have to throw out a perfectly good computer. Have a reputable computer repair company diagnose it or you can go to an online site like TrendMicro and download their FREE diagnostic tools. https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/for...edium=referral
Trend Micro price for one computer is less than $50 for their paid service.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandval View Post
In my opinion Garmin needs to be aware of the issues with bogus websites and purchase those misspelled sites and redirect to the official site. But that's is if they were concerned about issues their customers could have. That alone should indicate their corporate culture.
Garmin can't go around and make people give up all the different permutations of garmin, garmim, garmen, goman, etc... registered domains. It is not in their control. It is the consumer's responsibility.

To that point, never click on a link in your email. Even if you think it is from your credit card or bank. Always go to the known validated website manually. Instead Creditcard.com, you may get an email to click on link that is Credetcard.com, and load all sorts of mischievous software on your PC.

Most security breaches are due to social engineering or poor passwords. OS vulnerability exploits are much smaller in percentage.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:45 PM   #58
Site Team

From Garmins website:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...qf0CU4W2jR4tS9

About Tech Support Scams

Unfortunately, tech support scams and imposter tech support websites are on the rise. Please use caution when purchasing online or searching for map updates or technical support for your Garmin device.

How the scams work
The imposters purchase advertisements on search engines (for example, Google) and social media for search terms like “Garmin Map Update” or similar help topics. These ads direct customers to fraudulent sites posing to offer support for Garmin products. Some of these sites charge customers for support, and others are more sophisticated and access the customer’s computer remotely, download viruses and/or malware and then charge an exorbitant fee to supposedly remove it.

What we are doing about it
While these fraudulent sites and criminals are not affiliated with Garmin, we take these matters very seriously. We are working with the appropriate law enforcement and governmental agencies where possible, and we submit take-down requests to the domain host providers for the fraudulent websites.

How to identify and avoid these scams
  • Avoid advertisements for support sites when searching for Garmin map updates or other support-related topics. These ads may appear first in the search results, so be cautious and scroll down until you see support.garmin.com.
  • Navigate away from sites with pop-up chat windows asking if you need help and requesting you call a toll-free number or leave your number for a technician to call back.
  • Do not provide remote access to your computer to someone claiming to be Garmin product support.
  • Do not provide payment for basic support services or purchase anti-virus or anti-malware software from someone claiming to be Garmin product support.
  • Navigate to support.garmin.com for official Garmin support.
  • Only download Garmin Express (or any other Garmin software or drivers) from garmin.com pages.Garmin.com/express is the only official and authorized download of Garmin Express.
  • https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/ge...device-online/

What to do if you believe you may have been scammed
More about tech support scams

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:09 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
From Garmins website:

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...qf0CU4W2jR4tS9

About Tech Support Scams

Unfortunately, tech support scams and imposter tech support websites are on the rise. Please use caution when purchasing online or searching for map updates or technical support for your Garmin device.

How the scams work
The imposters purchase advertisements on search engines (for example, Google) and social media for search terms like “Garmin Map Update” or similar help topics. These ads direct customers to fraudulent sites posing to offer support for Garmin products. Some of these sites charge customers for support, and others are more sophisticated and access the customer’s computer remotely, download viruses and/or malware and then charge an exorbitant fee to supposedly remove it.

What we are doing about it
While these fraudulent sites and criminals are not affiliated with Garmin, we take these matters very seriously. We are working with the appropriate law enforcement and governmental agencies where possible, and we submit take-down requests to the domain host providers for the fraudulent websites.

How to identify and avoid these scams
  • Avoid advertisements for support sites when searching for Garmin map updates or other support-related topics. These ads may appear first in the search results, so be cautious and scroll down until you see support.garmin.com.
  • Navigate away from sites with pop-up chat windows asking if you need help and requesting you call a toll-free number or leave your number for a technician to call back.
  • Do not provide remote access to your computer to someone claiming to be Garmin product support.
  • Do not provide payment for basic support services or purchase anti-virus or anti-malware software from someone claiming to be Garmin product support.
  • Navigate to support.garmin.com for official Garmin support.
  • Only download Garmin Express (or any other Garmin software or drivers) from garmin.com pages.Garmin.com/express is the only official and authorized download of Garmin Express.
  • https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/ge...device-online/

What to do if you believe you may have been scammed
More about tech support scams

That’s sums it up pretty well [emoji3]
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:27 PM   #60

There is absolutely no need to toss a computer that has been infected with a virus. Erase and reformat your hard drive and reinstall a clone you make every week or so (you do that don't you?) You are back in business. I've messed up a drive and just reloaded my clone. Takes about an hour. Also, any sensitive info like financial or such I always store on a thumb drive which I promptly remove after I finish my work. If I bomb the drive, it is not the end of the world.

How often should you back up? For me it is when you have stuff, pictures you really don't want to loose or recreate.