RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-26-2019, 09:19 PM   #21

I'd like to think I'm as "manly" as the next guy but it's just not that much of a chore to put on a pair of rubber gloves. I am just not a big fan of having having $@#t on my hands. Each to his own I guess.
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #22

Talking

I could never have imagined I would need a roller to empty the hose. Iím a slip on a pair of gloves guy.
Maurice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
PS, I keep ALL poop as far away from my mouth and face as possible. For one thing, it's not just my poop in the black tank, and much as I love my wife, I'm not about to, well, eat her ***.
I'm betting you take it, though!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #24

Interesting how things change 35 years ago never knew to wear gloves (never got any on me either.) never got sick from it................Got on the internet maybe 10 years back wear gloves or you will get deathly ill......... so I wear gloves... sometimes..............

Next.................... need a roller .......................or.................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #25

Some the responses in this thread got me re-thinking the whole "shaking hands" thing when I meet folks at the campgrounds. Was never a fan of hugging and now I might have to ban handshakes! My DW suggests "bumping elbows". If it becomes a thing, we will know where it got its origin.
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #26

DW wants me to wear gloves. Retired now, but, ran a million gallon a day sewer system with multiple 1000ís of grinder pumps and many main lift stations. Did get my hep shots (company requirement). All this equipment requires maintenance, bypass pumps and their hoses sometimes leak, equipment fails and overflows occur, and it is not just my poop. Been sprayed head to toe a few times because in wrong spot when a hose fitting let go at 125 psi.
Also, grandfather had cows and a manure spreader when I got old enough.
A RV black tank doesnít seem too bad.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:29 AM   #27
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
I never figured out the angst around the black tank. It’s YOUR poop! Didn’t these folks ever change a diaper?

I’ve been emptying black tanks for 30 years without gloves and “hose assists.” What are these people going to do when there is a zombie apocalypse?

I concur about the hose assist, never used or felt I needed one. But gloves are a necessity for sanitary dumping. Even though it's "your" poop, the potential for infection is much greater when using bare hands and at the dump station there are a whole lot of things you need to touch that are not related to "your" poop. Reading this makes me glad that I always wear gloves

And is that guy actually dumping into his flower bed?!! EEK!
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #28
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
Why not go all the way? Attachment 210798

Even better:
ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!Ē - Hunter S. Thompson, The Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:23 PM   #29

Might be worth the cost for those who have back problems or are a bit unsteady when bending over.
We've run into situations where a sewer support hose just doesn't give enough 'lift' to completely empty the hose and it can be a bit of a challenge to bend over and get the 'stuff' (even if it's just clear water) out of the hose.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
I never figured out the angst around the black tank. Itís YOUR poop! Didnít these folks ever change a diaper?

Iíve been emptying black tanks for 30 years without gloves and ďhose assists.Ē What are these people going to do when there is a zombie apocalypse?

Hah, I thought I was the only one! I do get grossed out when someone is at the dump site and they're letting their crap run all over though.
brad10281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #31

Ya never know when this could happen..................

stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #32

Flush the line with a full grey tank aftet dumping the black and problem solved.
If the grey tank isn't full then run the shower or sink until it is
ARICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
I think I've seen threads here before, with questions about how to empty a long run of standard sewer hose of all its stuff, ... I've never seen this item before, but just run across it at Amazon, ... a little pricey for what it does, but it's certainly a unique tool and there may be folks here who would find this useful for their situation, ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3774IEQFQZW3B

12 bucks for a boat roller and a hunk of 1/2" rod aint worth that much.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I always flush my black tank at least three times before disconnecting the hose, I then just walk the clean hose toward the sewage inlet in order to get all of the water out of it.
X2. And so far all the dirty stuff has been inside the hose and my hands have not.
Pops8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #35

I wear gloves. Diff C bacteria does not wash off with soap and water. Google it. It's a shi-y problem and hard to get rid of.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:31 PM   #36

I am concerned about what comes out of my sewer hose, but more concerned about what is on the ground from others accidental, intentional, or just not realizing mistakes. And their lack of concern. I carry a squirt container of water/bleach mix to use around hookup/disposal areas - especially when I have to lay my water hose across the muddy, damp area. Be cavalier if you want, just please don't do it around my kids, grand kids. FWIW I was raised on a ranch and ate my share of crap, I have experienced what can happen when American humans are exposed to human waste.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:42 PM   #37

I'm with the rubber gloves crowd. I always dump the black tank and then flush with the gray water. After that, I'll make sure that both valves are completely closed then I'll take the hose loose from the travel trailer and then walk the remaining water in the hose toward the sewer receptacle. I'll get as much out of the hose as this fancy gadget does.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:13 PM   #38

A hose draining tool. Hmmmm. One of those RV gadgets that looks interesting, but ends up in your cubby until you give it away or sell it to some other gullible human.
And I do enjoy reading about the black tank emptying phobias of folks. I find those of us from farm/ranch backgrounds don't even think about using rubber gloves, but city folks sure do.
After dumping, if we need to, we have hand sanitizer and paper towels in a cubby, or better yet, use the sink in the RV to wash up. No biggy.
One of my good friends looks like he's ready for a space walk or nuclear waste clean up when it's time to dump. I was giving him a hard time about not having a splash shield for his face, and his wife started laughing and pulled it out of the cubby
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:36 PM   #39

I like the roller ďideaĒ for my back but not $44 worth of like. Hey, I farmed cows, hogs, chickens & rabbits I was always shoveling some kind of poo. It never bothered me. So maybe Iíll build one but not til my back gives out. Iíve bought too many things that I thought I had to have cause it was ďcoolĒ that I used once or never and have either been gifted or relegated to a shelf.

"Red" my 2018 Ford Lariat F-150 4X4 W/ Max Tow pkg
"Rover" our 2018 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 241qbxl
revbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #40

Double Rinse

Don't need this! While I use gloves, I have never (yet) had an accident while dumping, HOWEVER, I dump black water tank, close the valve then flush with gray water, then spray out the hose from hookup side with water! Then walk the hose from the unit to the dump side. I usually hang the hose up so it drains while I pack everything else up! LAST, I use hand sanitizer after washing hands with soap !!
rflarouere is offline   Reply With Quote