Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Campahedu
Thumbs down Recommended reading for new RVr

Hi,
I am looking to purchase a couple of books for first time RVrs. I am thinking "Good Sam Travel and Savings Guide" and "Guide to Free Campgrounds", and "Idiots Guide to RVing". Any thoughts and tips buying books for a newbee?
Thanks for any advice (in advance).
Chris & Deb

Chris & Deb
2013 F150 3.5 EB,Wildwood X-Lite 262BH
Campahedu.com
Campahedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Books are great but between these forums and Youtube I've learned more than I ever could have imagined about RVing.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
Always Learning

I want to write a book, "RVing, that first year...".

But time, alas- no time.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:53 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

RV systems are not like any other you have come across, except maybe in a large boat. Those unfamiliar with them will have a bit of frustration the first time something breaks. For example in a car the wires on the battery are universally red (+) and black (-) but could be blue, white or brown in an RV. Anything but red and black.

Have no clue why.

Get them a good book on DIY RV repair.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Books are great but between these forums and Youtube I've learned more than I ever could have imagined about RVing.
I agree completely with the above.
As you have questions, log on to here or youtube and usually a quick search you will find the answer.
There is SOOOOOO MUCHHHHHHH trial and error when you get that first RV, it becomes comical at times of the things you do/did.

If your at a campground and have a question, just walk over to the next rig and ask, EVERYONE wants to help, but don't want to offend you when they see you struggling by walking over and offering.
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I want to write a book, "RVing, that first year...".

But time, alas- no time.
I would love to see the sequel! Carrying everything and Kitchen Sink for a year on the road, that would be a best seller!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb5900 View Post
I agree completely with the above.
As you have questions, log on to here or youtube and usually a quick search you will find the answer.
There is SOOOOOO MUCHHHHHHH trial and error when you get that first RV, it becomes comical at times of the things you do/did.

If your at a campground and have a question, just walk over to the next rig and ask, EVERYONE wants to help, but don't want to offend you when they see you struggling by walking over and offering.
Typically if I notice someone struggling with something, I’ll walk over and ask if they need a hand. Sometimes it’s just painful watching someone do something and you just know it’s wrong or it’s not going to work.

Just last week I had to help a neighbor that was trying to replace a dump valve but the only tools he had were a pair of vice grips and a couple of box wrenches that were obviously not the right size. I came over with a socket set and eventually even had to get out the sawzall to cut off one of the rusty bolts.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

Based on many of the questions asked in this forum and if you are not familiar with 12 volt systems, I would suggest an illustrated beginners guide to 12 volt systems. I bought one when I moved onto a boat many years ago and it was a big help.
Mountains2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #9

Definitely ask for help when in a campground. You'd be surprised how many people are out there that are willing to pitch in with advice, tools, etc. We had a perfect stranger lay on the floor of our camper and twist the small metal piece on the Slide out with a pair of plyers when we discovered we had no power and no crank (now rectified! for any future issues). Lots of helpers out there! (and in here!)

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:51 PM   #10

RV'ing made Easy

"RV'ing Made Easy" by Dana and Lynne Massie. Purchased at an RV supply store. Excellent information on everything about RV's.
Nelsflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #11

You will find that campers will go out of their way to help out those new to RVing, with the only thing holding them back from offering advice is a fear of appearing pushy. Don't be afraid to ask for advice.
This forum and Utube have also proven invaluable.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #12
LA-Lower Alabama Resident

We Are New Too

We are also new to the RV world. We purchased our first travel trailer in February and have only made one trip so far (next one this weekend). I bought several books trying to learn as much as possible. I bought that Good Sam Book and was not impressed with it. I wish I had not spent the money on it because we are just going to camp close to home at first and it is really not going to be needed for awhile. I was thinking it had more information in it than just a list of campgrounds.

This book has been the most helpful to us so far. The RV Handbook: Essential How-To Guide for the RV Owner (Trailer Life): Dave Solberg: 9780982489420: Amazon.com: Books

I agree that I have learned more from just looking through all of the good information on this forum than I have from any of the books I bought. When looking at campgrounds I research www.campgroundreviews.com and www.CampsitePhotos.com

Donna
mysticks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountains2Sea View Post
Based on many of the questions asked in this forum and if you are not familiar with 12 volt systems, I would suggest an illustrated beginners guide to 12 volt systems. I bought one when I moved onto a boat many years ago and it was a big help.
Or you can read thru the 12 Volt Side of Life parts I and II website.
Should be required reading for newbies.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline39 View Post
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a couple of books for first time RVrs. I am thinking "Good Sam Travel and Savings Guide" and "Guide to Free Campgrounds", and "Idiots Guide to RVing". Any thoughts and tips buying books for a newbee?
Thanks for any advice (in advance).
Chris & Deb
To my knowledge, I have not run across any reference book that would cover the essentials you need to make RVing as painful as possible that is specific enough to be worth the buy. I would concentrate on pre-reading the manuels you received with your unit, along with reading up on batteries, the do and don't, which have been discussed at length in this forum. Also, read up on plumbing forum posts as well. Those are two areas you might be tested on earlier in your career as an RVer.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
To my knowledge, I have not run across any reference book that would cover the essentials you need to make RVing as painful as possible that is specific enough to be worth the buy.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #16

Opps should be painless. Sorry.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #17
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Love Your RV - Tips for the RV Life Link

Ray Burr has been publishing his RV blog for a few years now and in addition to a great monthly newsletter, he provides useful, thorough FREE guides. Here's the link, go look around. I recommend. Love Your RV -Tips for the RV Life eBook - Get it now for Free!
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #18

"Travel Tales ... an Old Retiree, His RV, His Dog, and His Woman (not necessarily in order of preference)" is a very fun and entertaining read for any RV'er. Pick it up on Amazon - paperback about $13.00 - Kindle $4.99. Great read.
Ken Halloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Halloran View Post
"Travel Tales ... an Old Retiree, His RV, His Dog, and His Woman (not necessarily in order of preference)" is a very fun and entertaining read for any RV'er. Pick it up on Amazon - paperback about $13.00 - Kindle $4.99. Great read.
I used to work with a guy named Ken Hallaron. I had to check Facebook to see how he spelled his last name though. You are obviously not him.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #20
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I might be missing something, but what exactly are you looking for a book to tell you?
You Tube videos are a great source of information. Not only do you get to see and hear, but there are often multiple suggestions on the same topic.
Are you wanting general knowledge, technical knowledge, camping knowledge?
We are here to help.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote