Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Replacing axles

I currently have a 5th wheel that has 4400 lb axles and had no problems until I had a blowout, no damage to trailer, however since then I am getting uneven tire wear on the other axle. I was wondering if it would be advisable to replace the axles with 5200 lb axles and if so are there any drawbacks. The trailer has a GVRW of 9600 lbs and although I am never at max weight there would have been a lot of stress on the remaining axle when the tire blew.

Not overly concerned about the extra cost as much as safety and proper tire wear.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
riversedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversedge View Post
I currently have a 5th wheel that has 4400 lb axles and had no problems until I had a blowout, no damage to trailer, however since then I am getting uneven tire wear on the other axle. I was wondering if it would be advisable to replace the axles with 5200 lb axles and if so are there any drawbacks. The trailer has a GVRW of 9600 lbs and although I am never at max weight there would have been a lot of stress on the remaining axle when the tire blew.

Not overly concerned about the extra cost as much as safety and proper tire wear.

Thanks for any advice you may have.
Need to describe your uneven tire wear. If you are wearing the outsides on one side and the insides on the other, it would be an alignment problem. If it is wear on the inside of 1, 2, 3 or all 4, it is an axle problem.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #3

Are the axles rubber torsion, or do you have springs?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the replys.

The tire that blew was front drivers side, the tires that are wearing are on the rear axle and wearing on the inside of each tire. The axles have springs.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #5

That definitely sounds like an axle issue.
And I don't see any problem going to a 5200 lb axle.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #6

Thanks for the help, I didn't think there should be any issues with a heavier axle but I'm definitely no expert.

Thanks again to all who replied.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 AM   #7

By going to an axle with a greater weight bearing capacity, if you are not utilizing that extra capacity, the trailer will have a fairly "rough" ride. It may "bounce" over bumps more and as a result you may find things getting bounced around in the trailer. Just something to consider.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995
By going to an axle with a greater weight bearing capacity, if you are not utilizing that extra capacity, the trailer will have a fairly "rough" ride. It may "bounce" over bumps more and as a result you may find things getting bounced around in the trailer. Just something to consider.
Good thought process !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
Changing the springs would do that, but not if the OP just changed the axles. It seems to be the axles giving the problem, not the springs.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
Changing the springs would do that, but not if the OP just changed the axles. It seems to be the axles giving the problem, not the springs.
You are correct if it has leaf springs. My Rockwood has the rubber torsion axles and I was visualizing that.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn5995 View Post
You are correct if it has leaf springs. My Rockwood has the rubber torsion axles and I was visualizing that.
Yes, it is confusing. And that is why I asked the OP what he had.
I also have rubber torsion, so understand your angle.
But ours are just barely heavy enough for the GVWR of our camper, and I often wonder what will happen after ten or twenty thousand miles of hammering are put on those rubbers.
At least ours are Al-Ko axles, and not Lippert junk.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversedge View Post
Thanks for the replys.

The tire that blew was front drivers side, the tires that are wearing are on the rear axle and wearing on the inside of each tire. The axles have springs.
When you replace the springs, MAKE SURE you replace ALL 7 (14 total) of the spring pivot bolts with "wet" ones. (The ones that have a hole drilled in them with a grease fitting in the ends)

Tags
axle