Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #1

Set Up Checklist

My husband and I just brought home our first travel trailer, a NOBO 16.8. Since this will be our first time to set it up, is there a checklist of what we need to do, until we have it memorized and is there a link to show where all the switches, connections, etc. on the 16.89? We did the orientation but had to leave the trailer at the dealer until the Toyota dealership fixed our hitch/harness so it's been a week since we were showed how everything works and now we feel like we've forgotten some things. Thank you for any help that you can give us.
alimartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #2

Here's what I do:
- Eyball - is there room for slides to open, will power cord reach, will water hoses reach? (I carry a lot of hoses because they're cheaper and work better than a very long power cord. In other words, if I have to choose between being close to the power or water, I choose close to the power.)
- Level side to side
- Chock wheels, both sides, both directions
- Plug in (recently moved up the list to ensure it reaches)
- Disconnect from ball
- Disconnect chains (used to be before disconnect from ball but learned this is safer)
- Move tow vehicle
- Level front to back
- x-chock tires
- Open slides
- Grab a beverage, you earned it

Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
Part-Time Campground Host

Here's ours:

Please feel free to use these and modify as you need. We leave home 1 Nov and don't return until the first week of May. This year we will be gone for 9 months as we have to travel to Oregon for a family reunion.

And I'll put one more on the next post as I can't fit it here.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Camper Towing Checklist In & Out.docx (14.6 KB, 613 views)
File Type: docx Camper Pack List.docx (15.2 KB, 301 views)
File Type: docx Clothes Pack List.docx (12.6 KB, 187 views)
File Type: docx Food Pack List.docx (13.2 KB, 228 views)
File Type: docx Leave Home Checklist.docx (13.4 KB, 272 views)
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:28 PM   #4

One more....

I was a pilot for years and really like checklists. It has saved us a few times.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Truck Pack List.docx (13.7 KB, 219 views)

Old 07-16-2020, 04:37 PM   #5

Don't forget to disconnect the connection for the breakaway brake switch, which should be separate from the tow chains (although likely connected to the same loop on the hitch as one of the tow chains). Also there are water and if full hook-up sewer connections. Turn on propane.

Also, I would say a teardown/ready to tow checklist is more important than a setup checklist, IMHO. If you forget something on the setup checklist, you usually get a second chance to go back and do it (except for running the slide-out into something.) I have forgotten to check for side-to-side level before unhooking. Go back, reconnect, pull/back trailer onto leveling blocks. I have also discovered the electric cord not long enough to reach after disconnecting as well. Go back, reconnect, pull trailer forward, recheck side-to-side leveling, then connect shore power.

If you forget something when leaving, though, 60 mph on the interstate may be a very bad time to discover you forgot to connect a tow chain and since it's been dragging half of it has already gotten scraped away by the pavement. I've also seen people tugging and tugging and tugging on their trailer until it finally hops over the wheel chock(s) they forgot to remove.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #6

Thank you so much!!
Old 07-16-2020, 05:01 PM   #7

I appreciate you all helping us get started. Thank you again.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimartz View Post
I appreciate you all helping us get started. Thank you again.
That's what this forum is all about, people helping people. We just happen to be campers.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:10 PM   #9

Departure checklist:

Inside:
-"Stow for sea". Put away all loose items. Don't forget the shampoo bottle(s) in the shower.
-Pull in the awning. Prevents banging you head on it when you start outside preps.
-Turn off or unplug all 12 volt devices that could run down the battery. TV Antenna amplifier. Electric vent fans. Phone/USB chargers.
-Turn off furnace, usually at the thermostat.
-My fridge gets set to DC power supply.
-TV antenna rotated to travel position.
-Turn off all the switches on the control panel which includes gas/electric water heater, water pump, lights.
-Make sure nothing is in the way of slide-outs and pull those in.
-Close all windows and vents.

Outside:
-Put away all the umbrellas, chairs, etc. from around the campsite.
-Raise stabilizer jacks and store any blocks/pads.
-Raise tongue with tongue jack until you think you have enough clearance for ball. Now's a good time to look at the hitch latch and make sure it is all the way up and to the rear (towards the trailer.)
-Back up to the trailer, before going under the ball socket make sure you raised the tongue enough. Then finish backing to under the ball socket.
-Lower tongue onto ball. Latch the hitch latch. If it won't latch, try carefully pulling the TV forward so the ball is all the way forward in the socket. Then it will usually latch easily. There should never be a need to bang on the latch or jump up and down on the TV bumper. Insert the pin in the latch.
-Raise the tongue back up and ensure it pulls the back of the TV up with it. If you have a weight distribution hitch you need to do this anyway to connect the tension bars.
-Connect the tension bars,sway bar, tow chains, breakaway cable, and the 7-pin cable.
-Raise the toungue jack (lower the tongue) all the way to travel position. Store any pads/blocks.
-Turn off propane bottles (some will leave on for the fridge).
-Unhook and store cable TV cable if applicable.
-Dump/flush black/grey water tanks if you are at full-hookup site. Double check slide valves closed before unhooking/storing sewer hose(s). Cap all your sewer connections.
-Unhook and store fresh water hose/filter/pressure regulator.
-If you need to drain FW tank, open the drain valve.
-Turn off pedestal breaker and unhook and store electric cord.
-Fold in steps.
-Make sure entry door is securely closed and locked (if desired).
-Fold assist handle to in front of the door.
-Do final walk around. All compartments closed and latched (except for storage of wheel chocks). All windows/vents closed. All connection points capped. All pins in place on hitch. Tow chains, 7-pin cable, breakaway cable connected. Tongue jack raised all the way. Nothing left around campsite or under the trailer.

-Pull wheel chocks and store. Close that last compartment, latch securely.
-Lights and brake check when departing.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:17 AM   #10

One that’s easy to forget is the 120vac power, if used, to the water heater. On mine it is an external switch. Don’t want it left on when not using the water system, like when just electrically plugged in at home.
Key item is the electric, fresh water, black water connection/disconnection order. Connecting at full hookup site: Power first, clean, dry hands. Fresh water, with clean hands. Then black water hose, fresh available for hand washing. Disconnecting: Do in reverse. Wash & DRY hands before disconnecting power (BONUS, air conditioning still on till last in summer
With the flip down MoreRyde steps, open the door and flip down the steps to check door clearance BEFORE chocking and unhitching. On uneven sites, IF The step hinge does not lay flat on the threshold, the door will not close!
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #11

I've also seen people tugging and tugging and tugging on their trailer until it finally hops over the wheel chock(s) they forgot to remove

I have done this more than once......but when I get out of truck to double check everything , I get the (Don't you ever believe me) voice from the DW.:
roflblack:

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine2019 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #12
PhD, Common Sense

I used to use a checklist.

One time, I almost forgot to put Mrs. eye into the truck, but the checklist reminded me.

I tore up the checklist.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #13

We minimize conversation.

She has her job, I have mine. Better to not help each other.

Do not let folks help you!!!

Do not talk to folks and work!

We can quick park For overnight while traveling and be into cocktails In 10 minutes! Same for exit. No fiver disconnect. Electric only.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check