Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #61

I stick with my principle too which is why I'm an AARP member.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Old 12-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #62
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
For the OP about is it worth it. Here is a link to an article from MSN Money about that very question.. Looks like you can get most of your discounts elsewhere and keep your principles...

Is AARP membership worth the cost?- MSN Money
Neat article. For the record USAA beats AARP hands down for car insurance (if you are eligible) and I do take advantage of military discounts where offered.

Don't have AAA any more and AARP most likely will not be renewed even though we typically save the cost of membership every year. OC, mike and others are right; sometimes it is just not worth it.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
My sentiments exactly. I like discounts as much as anyone, but won't accept a discount just to promote policies with which I vehemently disagree.

I'm gonna agree with Old Coot. Their support of the Affordable Care Act was the first time I started to seriously question my kinda sorta support of AARP. I never joined. Before that, I didn't see the need. After that, I definitely didn't see the need.

We own a mid size IGA. When Michigan wanted to become the last state to abolish item pricing law, AARP was against it. Didn't come up with a good reason, just that they were. When that came out, I thought to myself, 'What? Do they think seniors in this state are stupid?' Fortunately the law was abolished. We can now be more productive doing other things besides pricing cans of corn. And repricing them when the price changes.

BTW, does anyone remember when AARP stood for American Association of Retired PROFESSIONALS? Wonder if they changed that because they couldn't get enough 'professionals' to join.

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #64
NELA

I was thinking today...the RP stands for Retired Persons, and they start sending join-up mail as SOON (even just before) as a person turns 50.

Who the hell retires at 50 anymore that even needs all the discounts they offer?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Old 12-29-2013, 08:26 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I was thinking today...the RP stands for Retired Persons, and they start sending join-up mail as SOON (even just before) as a person turns 50.

Who the hell retires at 50 anymore that even needs all the discounts they offer?
Yep. Has nothing to do with retirement and has no government affiliation. (Other than donating to political causes and candidates.) They are an insurance company who uses client's premiums to support their political causes, many of which are in opposition to the views of many of their clients. But boy do they have some clout. Good marketing over the years.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post

BTW, does anyone remember when AARP stood for American Association of Retired PROFESSIONALS? Wonder if they changed that because they couldn't get enough 'professionals' to join.
No you are wrong, originally the AARP was American Association of Retired Persons. I have no idea where you came up with professionals.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #67
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
<snip>

I don't remember that, but I do remember when GEICO was Government Employees Insurance COmpany.
Their's was definitely a case of not having enough members, so they opened up to the general public.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Yep. Has nothing to do with retirement and has no government affiliation. (Other than donating to political causes and candidates.) They are an insurance company who uses client's premiums to support their political causes, many of which are in opposition to the views of many of their clients. But boy do they have some clout. Good marketing over the years.
AARP is basically a Washington lobby group dealing with issues that concern seniors. They do have two affiliated organizations, one of which is AARP Services Inc which is a heath insurance company. AARP is a non-profit organization while AARP Services Inc. is a for profit organization.

Since I receive Social Security and Medicare I do support an organization like the AARP that lobbys politicians on issues that concern seniors. I'd be a fool not to support them.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 12-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #69

I always say don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up. But you have to ask yourself this about AARP. Why did they support the ACA when the majority of their members were opposed to it and why to this day do they push the ACA? If their goal is to help seniors then why are they such big supporters of the ACA? Seniors don't need it because they have medicare. Aha.. Just do a little research on medicare, medicare advantage and medigap with respect to the ACA and the AARP. Enough said, the info is there if you want to know for yourself.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Old 12-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #70
Senior Moment

Don't believe AARP is an insurance company, they license their name and worknin conjunction with insurance company's. United health care for health insursce, Hartford insurance for homeowners and auto. They are a political organization.

Sent from my HTC One using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockport View Post
Don't believe AARP is an insurance company, they license their name and worknin conjunction with insurance company's. United health care for health insursce, Hartford insurance for homeowners and auto. They are a political organization.

Sent from my HTC One using Forest River Forums mobile app
You are right, I did not mean to say they were an insurance company but.. They make royalties from medicare advantage plans and from medicare supplement plans. Therein lies the rub, the ACA cut funds from medicare advantage plans that will force more seniors to buy medicare supplement plans, which from my research AARP makes much more in royalty percentage. And if you dig a little deeper you will find that the AARP got some special exemptions just for them for their (UHC) policies.

I just can't get past why an organization who is supposed to be the champion for seniors is in bed with the federal government on the ACA when that is aimed at people under 65. Follow the money..

A anyway, this is way off subject and I will quit comment with this post. Peace to all and Happy New Year!

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Old 12-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
No you are wrong, originally the AARP was American Association of Retired Persons. I have no idea where you came up with professionals.
I stand corrected. My only defense is that I was told that years ago. So what I learned from this is don't trust everything people tell you until you check it out for yourself. The internet on the other hand, oh yes, you can believe everything on the internet.

'13 Windjammer 3025W
'14 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins
No dogs. No Cats. No kids. Just us.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
You are right, I did not mean to say they were an insurance company but.. They make royalties from medicare advantage plans and from medicare supplement plans. Therein lies the rub, the ACA cut funds from medicare advantage plans that will force more seniors to buy medicare supplement plans, which from my research AARP makes much more in royalty percentage. And if you dig a little deeper you will find that the AARP got some special exemptions just for them for their (UHC) policies.

I just can't get past why an organization who is supposed to be the champion for seniors is in bed with the federal government on the ACA when that is aimed at people under 65. Follow the money..

A anyway, this is way off subject and I will quit comment with this post. Peace to all and Happy New Year!
Maybe AARP just thinks everyone has a right to be healthy...
Old 12-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #74
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlow View Post
Maybe AARP just thinks everyone has a right to be healthy...
As does everyone else, AARP just figured out how to profit from ACA at the expense of others.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #75
Always Learning

Ok. I think this thread has run it's course. I think both sides pro and anti AARP have been presented and I don't think this thread goes anywhere but a political spiral.

Cheers.
Closed Thread