Old 12-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #1

ALCAN HWY condition

When did you last travel on Alcan hwy? Weíre planning to go to AK next summer but I spoke to an RVer yesterday who told me that a frend of his took a new Tiffin there this past summer and destroyed the cabinets, etc on the rough roads. Iím starting to have second thoughts about taking my RV on that road.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
Still a NOOB

ALCAN HWY condition

I paid a guy to deliver my brand new Surveyor from Portland to Anchorage in late June / early July 2017. He said the roads were in relatively great shape, as was my trailer upon delivery. There will always be construction on the ALCAN. I think itís about how fast you go. Take your time, enjoy the scenery. You should be fine.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #3

We travelled to Alaska, on the Alaska Highway, there is no other road, in early June 2016. Came home on that same road late August 2016. If you SLOW DOWN you will fare better. Those who passed us at an unreasonable rate of speed were many times seen again, on the roadside, in trouble.
The road has almost no asphalt paving, it is tar and chip, there are no support services to accommodate asphalt industry. You will find areas that are 30 feet or more built up from the original roadbed from yearly repairs. When weather starts to warm, sunshine on the road surface causes it to heave. Those heaves can be 2 to 3 to 5 feet apart or 10 to 20 feet apart, or much more, there is no way to calculate the distance or the heights. Looking ahead while driving you will see the lines weave back and forth, snakelike, as a warning that you are about to encounter turbulence. If the state has been ahead of you you may see a cone or brightly painted stake to warn you of rough road, start and end. In the fall the road is actually better because the crews have graded and rolled the surface flat. It will be very dusty though, or very muddy because they are attempting to settle the dust. There will always be construction, starts/stops.Whatever the inconvenience, it is a worthwhile trip. We plan to do it again. It is wild, beautiful country. That trip was 17,300 mile, 163 days. No flat tires, bent axles, broken shocks or any other damaged parts, truck or trailer! 5 oil changes, 4 fuel filters, 3 air filters, just staying ahead of trouble. We had no schedule, others may not be that fortunate.
My best advice is to not try to keep a schedule that says "X" number of miles per day or else. Or else will cost money. We saw all manner of RV's with every conceivable problem, most caused by the driver.
Go over your rig with a fine toothed comb. Tighten every screw, nut and bolt, fastener, inside and outside, you can find. Make sure of running gear, brakes, tires, lug nuts, wiring, bearings, hitch components, anything and everything. Schedule layovers/down time on the road to check it over and again.
If you have the opportunity, by all means, go. You will never regret the trip.
Once again, SLOW DOWN.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #4

Thanks to both, thatís encouraging. I donít mind driving slower. I have to cross the lower 48 first, live in Louisiana, so it will be a long drive.
dlfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #5

We travelled to Alaska in 2014 with no damage to either the truck or trailer. There were bad spots on the road especially the last 200 miles before the Alaska border but they seemed to be well marked with cones or flags to warn you of dips or bumps. If you do not heed these warnings, you will damage your rig. That is why I imposed a personal 40 mph maximum speed limit regardless of how good the road seemed and only achieved that speed on rare occasions in the first half of the trip. The reduced speed allowed me to travel without issues and enjoy the scenery along the way. Take your time and enjoy the trip.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote