RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-06-2020, 07:03 AM   #1

Amazon vs WalMart.com

I bought my RV while working out-of-town so had to pretty much stock it from zero. I bought a few things through Amazon and a few things through Walmart - when it came time to renew my Amazon account I started to think about that $129 fee... Walmart has free shipping if you spend at least $35 (on most things) and many times it is either 2 day shipping and sometimes even next day shipping. If something doesn't work and needs to be returned you can just take it to the local Walmart for refund or exchange.
Just my 2 cents because as I have researched tips, trips, and hacks, etc. on Pinterest and on other Forums for "newbie advice" many of the products recommended have links to Amazon - lots of times I find the same item at Walmart priced similarly or even cheaper.

2020 Puma 257RESS
2020 Ram 2500 4 X 4
Centerville, Texas
Living to work and Working to live!
Sharonogoingsolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

Amazon Prime is our source of subscription TV programming, so we would pay the annual fee whether we shop with Amazon or not. (Right now, we are binging on New Tricks. Old farts solving cold cases in England. Highly recommended.)

Whether we shop from Amazon or Walmart or shopmyexchange.com or a local brick-and-mortar is a function of who has the product, what it the lowest price, sales tax*, and whether the product is the kind that requires me putting my hands on it to make the buy decision.

I do most of my shopping at local brick and mortars (especially the Exchange), second is shopmyexchange.com, then Amazon, and lastly other online retailers (and then only if it is less expensive or I can’t get it elsewhere).

* shopmyechange.com and the Exchange never have sales tax, and we can legally not claim those purchases on our State tax return, thereby legally avoiding “use taxes”. Even if an online retailer does not charge sales tax (most now do), there are laws (which most people just ignore) that require you to pay a “use tax” on items you purchase online for which you have not paid sales tax.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:50 AM   #3

I ordered an item from walmart.com for pickup at the local store. When I went to the store to pick up the item their self-service pickup tower was "out of service". So, I went to the customer service counter and said I would like my item. They said they could not get into the out of service tower to get it and I would have to come back later to get the item. I asked, "So there is absolutely nothing you can do other than for me to make another trip back here later?" She said no, that was the only way.

So I went back to electronics, picked up the same item off the shelf took it to customer service and told her to cancel my order and there actually was another alternative rather than me making a second trip to the store.

We also use Amazon Prime for other things than just purchases.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
I ordered an item from walmart.com for pickup at the local store. When I went to the store to pick up the item their self-service pickup tower was "out of service". So, I went to the customer service counter and said I would like my item. They said they could not get into the out of service tower to get it and I would have to come back later to get the item. I asked, "So there is absolutely nothing you can do other than for me to make another trip back here later?" She said no, that was the only way.

So I went back to electronics, picked up the same item off the shelf took it to customer service and told her to cancel my order and there actually was another alternative rather than me making a second trip to the store.

We also use Amazon Prime for other things than just purchases.
That is horrible customer service. To be at the mercy of a machine to deliver product (with no workaround in the event of a failure) is just plain moronic.

Were I in the situation of the customer service person, my thoughts would be strictly, “How can I get this customer the product he wants now and worry about fixing the logistics later. One (should be) obvious solution is, “Is the item handy any place other than our defective system?” Clearly, in your case, the answer was an easy “YES!”

Human beings should never hide behind non-human systems.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:22 AM   #5
Site Team

I buy stuff from Amazon and from Walmart.com but I don’t pay any annual fee for either.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 32
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #6

Also, Amazon Prime can be spread out among several family members and I don't think they even have to reside in the same house.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #7

I agree with the horrible customer service aspect - the only reason that I used online shopping is that my work schedule and location prevent me from shopping at S&B stores for the most part and I had an empty 5th wheel that needed stuff!
I stand corrected on the Amazon fee - I had not utilized the services, other than shopping, that they provide - I did not mean to offend anyone -

2020 Puma 257RESS
2020 Ram 2500 4 X 4
Centerville, Texas
Old 11-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #8

I wouldn't say you did offend anyone. Iteresting info you shared.

I pay for prime, had it for many years. I use all the features from movies to TV music and more. I find Amazon returns to be pretty easy...even easier with being able to just drop items at kohls now. Waiting in that line is way better than Walmart customer service lines. The free shipping is kind of old hat now and many of the prime items costs reflect shipping cost in the price but the other benefits cover it for me.

I looked at Walmart plus....you pay $100 a year for free shipping or home delivery but have to order more than $35 worth of merchandise. Well without paying you get the same. I didn't see other benefits. I have done their ship to store. The app sent me to the back corner of the store to pickup and nothing was there. I went to customer service and found my item there. It had moved locations in the store and the app was not up to date. One sign at the front told you where to pickup but it was covered by another sign so you could not see it. Their grocery pickup was ok before the pandemic got really bad and has since been significantly improved.

I have almost stopped in store shopping since the pandemic started and I find I buy less this way. Only what I need and no impulse buys.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #9

In contrast to the story regarding bad customer service at Walmart brick and mortar...
I made a few purchases from Amazon which were all scheduled to be delivered on the same day. When the package arrived, one item wasn't in the box.

Using the app, I followed the prompts to explain what happened. A new order was placed and the item arrived 30 hours later. I'm sure this process was 100% automated but was as smooth as can be. Mistakes happen. Goal is to reduce them and manage them well. I was very pleased with how smooth that process was.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I buy stuff from Amazon and from Walmart.com but I don’t pay any annual fee for either.
X2. Although I do prefer Walmart online.
After researching it, the only way the Amazon Prime fee would be worth it to me would be if i used Amazon extensively for TV/Music/Books. Which I don't. So many free options these days.
I also use ship-to-store for Walmart/Best Buy/Lowes/Home Depot, etc. Have always had very good experiences with all of them. But any more, it's usually the same cost to have it shipped directly to my house. What a world!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #11

I use both, but mostly use Amazon. Amazon's customer service has been absolutely top notch whenever we've had issues/returns we've needed to make. I've had less-than-stellar Walmart customer service experiences in the past, which makes me avoid them unless I can't find something anywhere else.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #12

I just re-upped my annual amazon fee... I do use the free music and the included movies, but I have had good luck with Walmart and HomeDepot ship to store, so maybe next year I will look at dropping the amazon fee...
but I so love to, when I need something, to just look on amazon and have it delivered to me within a day or two at the most... I am so over going to the store and finding they do not have what I want, or that the BIN is empty as so often happens at the Home Depot...

where do you go to find propane hardware or other specialty things? AMAZON!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #13

The only problem I have had, and it seems to becoming more prevalent, is substandard or counterfeit items being sold on Amazon and Walmart online sites. I know they are trying to verify all shippers and products, but it's huge job.
So just be careful!
I haven't had any problem returning these products, but it is still time consuming and aggravating. I am now leery of third party vendors on these sites, especially if the deal is too good to be true and/or the description has bad grammar and misspellings.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #14
D W

Here's one for you. I had two Walmart orders in the past month, shipped to my home with free shipping. Both of these items were delivered by Amazon, in Amazon packaging. Go figure!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #15

Because of my work schedule/location I have all items shipped directly to my RV park - it's like Christmas!! All the packages just waiting to be opened!! LOL
It's almost too convenient - if they delivered groceries where I am I would never go to the S&B stores!!

2020 Puma 257RESS
2020 Ram 2500 4 X 4
Centerville, Texas
Old 11-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Here's one for you. I had two Walmart orders in the past month, shipped to my home with free shipping. Both of these items were delivered by Amazon, in Amazon packaging. Go figure!
I had an Amazon order delivered with Target packaging.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

As for Amazon vs Walmart, I use Amazon for Video content too. I've dropped everything but Internet and Local TV (no OTA service where I live) from my "Cable" company (actually Fiber Optic). I can go "Ala Carte" for the cable shows I want through Prime and plenty of included movies for my needs.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonogoingsolo View Post
Because of my work schedule/location I have all items shipped directly to my RV park - it's like Christmas!! All the packages just waiting to be opened!! LOL
It's almost too convenient - if they delivered groceries where I am I would never go to the S&B stores!!
I used Amazon Pantry for a while. My Son uses Safeway for all his grocery shopping. I think he pays a $6 delivery fee and they deliver directly to his door--------on the third floor of a walk up apartment house.

Safeway is only in about 18 states but I'm sure others have online shopping and delivery unless you are too far out in the boonies

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I used Amazon Pantry for a while. My Son uses Safeway for all his grocery shopping. I think he pays a $6 delivery fee and they deliver directly to his door--------on the third floor of a walk up apartment house.

Safeway is only in about 18 states but I'm sure others have online shopping and delivery unless you are too far out in the boonies
I'd pay someone double that to bring my groceries up there from my car!
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I was joking about the groceries - I have to make myself go out in public occasionally even if it is with a mask on these days

2020 Puma 257RESS
2020 Ram 2500 4 X 4
Centerville, Texas
Old 11-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonogoingsolo View Post
I was joking about the groceries - I have to make myself go out in public occasionally even if it is with a mask on these days
I know right! Liz and I were laughing that when we are home (not boondocking), our big outing is going to the grocery store. And I find that we are eagerly anticipating the once detested chore