Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #1
Site Team

Any bowlers here?

Now that the off-season for camping is here for many of us, I've noticed that the activity here on the forums has slowed way down.

One of my favorite things to do in the winter to pass the time is bowling. I've been bowling on leagues throughout the winter months pretty regularly since I was old enough to pick up a ball (probably about 35 years now).

My grandparents and my parents bowled on a Friday night league together when I was born and since I was in fact born on a Friday, my dad passed out cigars at the bowling alley that night.

As a kid I bowled on Saturday mornings and later I bowled on my high school team. When I was old enough, my wife and I joined my parents on their Friday night league.

I have 3 girls and let them all try it, but only my youngest stuck with it. She followed a similair path as me, bowling on Saturday leagues and is now in her 3rd year of HS bowling.

She is only on the junior varsity team right now but it's mostly because the varsity team is really, really good. They are currently the 2-time defending state and national champions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bowling.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	192365

Their 2018-2019 season is just starting up so we will be spending the next couple of months living at a bowling alley somewhere between practice, tournaments and matches. It's all worth it because I enjoy watching her bowl and she loves bowling as much I as did and still do.

Anyone else?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #2

Yep. Long time bowler here. Started back in the late 60's as a cheap date down in Moline Ill. Started leagues once we moved to Des Moines. Had my own pro shop from 1991 - 1998. That ended when a corporate outfit bought the center and decided they knew best how I should run my shop. Walked away from the game for 5 years. Got back into it in 2003. Only bowl 2 leagues a week now, down from 7 in 6 days when I was MUCH younger.

Currently spending my retirement time assisting in a pro shop here in town for my friends who coach the Grand View University men and women teams.

(mini rant time) I'm one of those "Old Farts" that think the game is now a farce. I know the USBC is trying to bring a little integrity back into the game but they will have a hard time undoing all the things they changed to get more people interested in the game. Balls that are basically "hook in a box", oil patterns that are only certified once a year, laughable number of "honor scores" being thrown. All got people into the game but at what price? (rant over).

Anyway I still try my best to help my team and try to have a good time.
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #3

We got into bowling as a result of empty nest syndrome. Started on a friendly mixed league decades ago and we are still there. We also enjoy traveling to many local, state, national, and international tournaments. It is an amazing group of people, just like RVers. While we enjoy the competition, we don't take it so seriously that it ruins the fun.

Our local bowling alley closed a few months ago due to gross mismanagement, so we are currently in limbo, hoping someone has enough money to open a new alley. Until then, we have to travel to satisfy our bowling needs. Good thing we have an RV
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #4

It does slow down some when the RV are put up for winter.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #5

My husband and I are both bowlers, have both played league. Hoping to get back into now that my husband will not be doing as much traveling for his company.
Trudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #6

My husband and I used to bowl. Before we wait he bowled a 300 game. We watched a tournament on TV the other day and a couple of guys were two handed bowlers. Two handed delivery, what's up with that? Anyone else see that?
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasantsurroundings View Post
My husband and I used to bowl. Before we wait he bowled a 300 game. We watched a tournament on TV the other day and a couple of guys were two handed bowlers. Two handed delivery, what's up with that? Anyone else see that?
Before we quit...... forgot to proofread......
Old 02-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasantsurroundings View Post
It's something that's become more popular within the last 10 or 15 years. I couldn't do it myself as I'd probably trip over my feet if I tried it, but some guys seem to like it. I say "guys" as I have yet to witness a female two-hander.

Jason Belmonte is typically considered one of if not THE best bowler in the world and he's a two-hander.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #9
Site Team

It's funny that this thread got bumped up today of all days as the girls I mentioned in my first post are bowling for their 3rd straight state title starting today.

The boys team already won state a couple of weeks ago. If the girls win, it will be the second time ever that the girls and boys teams from the same school won their state title in the same year.

Both the boys and girls won it in the same year 2 years ago.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
It's funny that this thread got bumped up today of all days as the girls I mentioned in my first post are bowling for their 3rd straight state title starting today.

The boys team already won state a couple of weeks ago. If the girls win, it will be the second time ever that the girls and boys teams from the same school won their state title in the same year.

Both the boys and girls won it in the same year 2 years ago.
Good luck![emoji5]
Old 02-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #11

Ive been bowling Monday night league for about the last 5 years. Its my one day a week to get out of the house for a couple hours.

Im a 2-finger bowler. I sometimes get some criticism for not using my thumb. I can and sometimes do use my thumb but I can generate a lot more power and revs on my hook without it. The two handed delivery is just a modified version of 2-finger. Problem with 2-finger is consistency with your release. Using a second hand to balance the ball helps some people alleviate that. Ive tried it, but it feels awkward for me, and I have some pretty large ham hands to begin with. Im not sure Id benefit from it.
And using 2-fingers, or two hands has an advantage. It lets you use some crazy layouts with your balls. My primary ball has a triangle layout, similar to this;
Click image for larger version

Name:	S9WGrCX.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	196832
I can grip this ball 6 different ways and each puts the weight block in a different position relative to the center of gravity allowing for 6 completely different reactions out of the same ball. There are a few catches to be USBC legal, but it is legal. USBC considers any hole that you dont insert a finger or thumb into, is a balance hole and you cant have anything in balance holes so you cant use finger grips. Also if you bowl tournaments that limit the number of balls you are allowed to use, they usually count the one ball as 6. You also have to have all your holes drilled to your largest finger, usually your middle so its a little loose on your ring finger but the layout works, very well.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote