Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
B47

Are these the next version of RV's?

I'm talking about these so- called "Tiny Houses" that are being featured on the FYI channel under the "Tiny House Nation"banner.

The ones I have seen so far are approximately 220 SF and constructed of wood mounted on a two axle frame. They are taller than a conventional RV and have an upper sleeping loft.

Anyone seen these?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

I think your referring to the manufactured homes that are shorter then my 5er??
No holding tanks of any sort so a park model at best.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 PM   #3

I have seen a show on tv about small custom mobile homes, if you want to call them "RV's" I feel that's a bit of a stretch.

Heavy units and not very tow friendly IMO.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
I think your referring to the manufactured homes that are shorter then my 5er??
No holding tanks of any sort so a park model at best.
They are manufactured in a factory,but the ones I have seen are custom designed. I'm thinking they might mostly be used as park or cottage models.

Some of the ingenious ways they squeeze space out of every inch is something the current RV manufacturers could learn from.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:01 PM   #5

I enjoy watching the show and looking at tiny houses on line. Many of them are built to be moved, but they must weigh a ton! I doubt that in reality they are moved very often. It's just not practical.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I have seen a show on tv about small custom mobile homes, if you want to call them "RV's" I feel that's a bit of a stretch.

Heavy units and not very tow friendly IMO.
Well I figured if I called them "Tiny Houses" in the title,no one would read it.

The times the show has shown them being towed they seem to be easily towed with pick ups.

Being taller than conventional RV's with the sleeping loft on top,the roof line is slanted with the high side being on the drivers side to minimize contact with tree limbs/branches.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Well I figured if I called them "Tiny Houses" in the title,no one would read it.

The times the show has shown them being towed they seem to be easily towed with pick ups.

Being taller than conventional RV's with the sleeping loft on top,the roof line is slanted with the high side being on the drivers side to minimize contact with tree limbs/branches.
I have only seen them tow one once.

Looked like a F450 sized rig with a handyman type flatbed it was moving slow on a two lane country road to the site where they set it up.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #8

Encountered one this winter camping at Hunting Island State Park, SC. The owner was a master carpenter who built it over the course of a year. Not huge or heavy, 25 ft. or so, shaped like a small train caboose. His wife saw us gawking and eagerly invited us in. Beautiful woodwork with a mini gourmet kitchen area…great craftsmanship, Vermont tags.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote