RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 04:21 PM   #81
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJohn View Post
Hey NMWidcat, being from the great white north, what is REC 90 that I see on the pump picture? On our last trip to the States, the first time I went to fill up with diesel, I was confused because there where 2 choices of diesel, to many choices!
REC 90 is 90 octane ethanol free unleaded gasoline specifically designed for recreational and marine engines. The use of ethanol fuels in these engines is detrimental to the engine, and will normally void the manufacturer's warranty.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 09-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #82

For the cold country folks,
https://powerservice.com/psp_product...-cetane-boost/

2014 Dodge Durango
2012 Dodge Challenger
I was never taught not to like you, you did that!
Old 09-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
There is better stuff than that now, Hotshots Friend. Only need about an ounce for 30 gallons or so, and it protects better in freezing temps than even the Powerservice stuff and I was a big user of PS year round. Project Farm on Youtube did some unscientific real world tests on all the diesel additives, and it came out the best after sitting in -30* freezer overnight. He also did an abrasion test, and the Hotshots ranked higher in that too. PS ranked very good and is my second go to if I can't get the Hotshots.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:26 PM   #84

gas in diesel

I just suck it up and pay the higher price and get in line with the truckers at the truck stops. A little dirtier but fresher fuel and a little more confident that it is diesel. BTW - I did the same thing in a work Sprinter. Mine only caused about $400 for the tow and repair in SC.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #85

BP is a large company, a small insight, BP has 290 ARCO branded stations and over 750 AMPM locations in califormia. ARCO/AMPM diesel pumps are green as are all somewhat newer diesel truck fuel caps.

2014 Dodge Durango
2012 Dodge Challenger
I was never taught not to like you, you did that!
Old 09-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfinderESP View Post
I always check having been used to the UK where Green in Unleaded Black is Diesel
Red used to be Leaded years ago too.
Coming over here it's generally flipped with black for gas.
Maybe that's why BP (British Petroleum) is that way here in the US. Same as UK?

Mike
Old 09-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #87

Gas vs diesel?

That's why the filler entrance is a different size and the pump nozzle is different too. And diesel handles and nozzle almost always are "oily" looking and feeling. But it does always make sense to double check what the nozzle looks like and what the price and product window on the pump say. Glad you didn't start the van.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:09 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
AFAIK, New Jersey is the only state that doesn't allow people to pump their own gas. Oregon switched a few years ago. Although I believe few counties in Oregon are still full-service.
The change was actually a little more nuanced than that. It allows self-serve in counties below a certain population threshold, and with a number of restrictions. They also made it optional on a station-by-station basis.

The rules were originally implemented as a safety measure, which then morphed into a jobs program - first for high school students, and more recently for the "otherwise unemployable". Funny thing is that the push for the change was mostly driven by the difficulty finding employees in less populated areas, along with the business cost of having to have staff on hand at any time that gas was available for sale.

Here's a map detailing where you can roll your own vs where you have to tell your zip code to a ex-con when you hand him your credit card:

https://geo.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vie...898a871928588c

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Old 09-29-2020, 09:35 PM   #89
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikolow View Post
I just suck it up and pay the higher price and get in line with the truckers at the truck stops. A little dirtier but fresher fuel and a little more confident that it is diesel. BTW - I did the same thing in a work Sprinter. Mine only caused about $400 for the tow and repair in SC.
You’re doing it wrong. Lol. Get the TSD Fuel Card and pay lower prices at the truck lanes. Lower DEF prices too.
Oh, the fuel quality is the same as at the car diesel pump. It is the same diesel. If it were “dirty” then the trucking companies wouldn’t be risking hundreds of thousands of dollars using it in million mile engines.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:11 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
The change was actually a little more nuanced than that. It allows self-serve in counties below a certain population threshold, and with a number of restrictions. They also made it optional on a station-by-station basis.

The rules were originally implemented as a safety measure, which then morphed into a jobs program - first for high school students, and more recently for the "otherwise unemployable". Funny thing is that the push for the change was mostly driven by the difficulty finding employees in less populated areas, along with the business cost of having to have staff on hand at any time that gas was available for sale.

Here's a map detailing where you can roll your own vs where you have to tell your zip code to a ex-con when you hand him your credit card:

https://geo.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vie...898a871928588c
For all the comments I could make about your inaccurate, judgemental comments about some mighty good folks who work at the stations that provide pump service, I will refrain because some folks delete those comments. The bottom line is no where is it written that you have to give your card and zip code to anyone at any time. Get off your seat and stick your card in just like any where else, then let the individual who is paid to provide the service pump your fuel.
Old 09-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #91
Site Team

It's been a full 5 days since the OP last posted in this thread. I think that everything that can be said about this subject has been said, so we are going to go ahead and close it.

Thanks to all for your comments and responses.
Closed Thread

Tags
gas, pump