Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 12:32 AM   #1

Beware bp gas stations pump colors!

The unofficial color for diesel fuel at 99% of gas stations across America is GREEN. Except at BP stations where green is their brand color and the color of their gasoline handles. I bet you see where this is going....

Yep, I just returned form a 7,500 mile trip and while passing through Indiana, I put 20 gallons of gas into my Mercedes Sprinter diesel. Thank goodness I noticed while letting the last few drops drip off of the nozzle. (Gas drips like water, pumped diesel is foamy). So I did NOT start the engine!

Gas in a MODERN diesel will quickly cause extensive damage to the fuel system. Diesel is an oil and the moving parts (such as the 18,000 psi high pressure fuel pump) depend on it for lubrication. Gasoline is a solvent and causes immediate metal to metal contact with subsequent destruction.

It cost me $300 for a tow (I made the mistake of telling Coachnet what happened...) and $1,000 to drop and drain the tank, replace the fuel filter, backflush the fuel system to remove any errant gas, etc. The dealer told me that when people drive with gas in the Sprinter, the repair bill is around $11,000.

Ultimately the mistake was my fault, but come on BP! Two tow companies and three shops told me it happens several times per month at that very station! That means it happens at BP stations everywhere there are found.

Upon arriving home here in Oregon, I phoned my local MB dealer and told the story. They replied with a story of a fuel delivery truck accidentally dropping gasoline into the diesel tank at a local gas station. They it damaged 25 cars, five of which ended up with them for repair, and ten at the BMW dealer. They said it happened TWICE within a few months! Now I'm scared to put fuel in my tank!

I think I will just give a very quick shot of fuel, then check the drops for foamy diesel and not clear gas....
Old 09-23-2020, 12:40 AM   #2

This is a good explanation of why gas in a MODERN diesel engine is so damaging (regardless of what your brother-in-law's blog says...)

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...el%20injectors.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:09 AM   #3
RCW

As a shop foreman at a Mercedes-Benz dealer, I have seen gas mistakenly put in a diesel so many times! Our diesels will not run on high concentrations of gas. They usually don't make it off the gas station lot. In those cases we usually do not see any damage.

The damage seems to happen when the percentage of gas is low enough that it will run, but high enough to reduce the lubricating property of diesel fuel. In addition to damage to the fuel system it will damage components in the exhaust.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:27 PM   #4

So at BP stations are the Diesel pump handles yellow?
Old 09-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #5

The first time I got diesel at a BP I noticed that luckily. I didn't like that at all. BP is my last choice now for my truck, for that very reason.

Change the color, BP!!!
Old 09-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #6
Site Team

When the head of BP told the folks in the Gulf to quit belly aching over their massive oil spill I bought my last BP fuel.
Still won't buy it.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Old 09-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #7

call corporate, they will tell you there is no standard of green for diesel.
Knowing diesel is green I picked the other color pump and put about 1/2 gallon of diesel into a KTM motorcycle once. it still had over a gallon of fuel in it so I just rode it home (2 miles). it actually ran pretty good .

but was hard to start once cold. I drained tank and returned the fuel to the dealer (left the can on sidewalk). I still see cans left there from time to time so I know others are doing it as well. I have not been to a BP since.

My neighbors best friend came to visit and filled his diesel truck up with gas. made a mess.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #8

X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
The first time I got diesel at a BP I noticed that luckily. I didn't like that at all. BP is my last choice now for my truck, for that very reason.

Change the color, BP!!!

2022 Rockwood 2893BS
2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD
Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 PM   #9

I did that to a rented Opel Insignia diesel in Ireland - about 7 gallons into a ~16 gal tank. It was the night before we returned home, so I only drove it about 3 miles. It was low on power and did not want to start when the engine was warm. Ran fine cold though!

I didn't figure it out right away because it didn't start running bad until a couple of miles and stops after the fill up. I double checked my receipt, and whoops!

I told Hertz about it when I turned it in, and they ended up charging me $400 to drop and drain the tank. I guess it could have been a lot worse.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Old 09-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #10

Sorry for your expense. Sounds like you were very tired.

Diesel fuel at gas stations I use are either separate pumps or on a clearly marked separate side of the pump with a yellow covering on the nozzle.

Regardless pressing the Diesel button on the front of the pump won't send it thru the gasoline hose and nozzle. Holding the "green" handle and pressing the diesel button won't do anything. Every gas station I've been in for years won't start the pump until you select the grade of gasoline you want. Never seen 87, 89, and 93 choices on a diesel fuel pump.

-- Chuck
Old 09-24-2020, 08:21 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Never seen 87, 89, and 93 choices on a diesel fuel pump.
Agree.

I've never driven a diesel vehicle but I've also never paid attention to the color of the pump handles either. They could be rainbow-colored for all I care. I just grab the one that has the numbers/words that I want.

This one shows yellow for diesel and green for regular.

This one shows green for regular and black for diesel.

There is no industry standard.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Agree.

I've never driven a diesel vehicle but I've also never paid attention to the color of the pump handles either. They could be rainbow-colored for all I care. I just grab the one that has the numbers/words that I want.

This one shows yellow for diesel and green for regular.

This one shows green for regular and black for diesel.

There is no industry standard.
X2. No industry standard. Which is amazing in this time of over regulation and protecting us from ourselves!
I have seen various fuel handle and button colors across the country, so learned to be alert when looking for diesel. You can't even count on the size of the nozzle to give you a hint. Usually diesel colors are green and the nozzle is bigger, but not always, especially back east.
But it was simplified when I started using only truck stops and the semi truck lanes while towing. Most semi lanes are diesel only, but not always!!! LOL!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 09-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #13

I'm very (overly) cautious about it when I get fuel. I have a locking cap on my truck to make me stop and think for a minute (among other reasons). I then check the handle, nozzle size and button several times to make sure it looks right. I then check the fuel coming out of the nozzle when I'm done to make sure it looks slickery.

If anyone will mess it up, it will be me for sure.

Having to get it towed to remove gas is one thing. Having to do it pulling a camper would be a nightmare.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #14

You know, with today's technology, it would be a simple thing to design a failsafe of some kind, maybe with a magnet or something. Vehicle fuel port could have a magnet, and the nozzle has a detector. If the nozzle doesn't detect it, it won't work. Or an alarm on the vehicle. Who knows. Same thing for gas vehicles.

Just a silly thought.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob5560g View Post
The unofficial color for diesel fuel at 99% of gas stations across America is GREEN. Except at BP stations where green is there brand color and the color of their gasoline handles. I bet you see where this is going....

Yep, I just returned form a 7,500 mile trip and while passing through Indiana, I put 20 gallons of gas into my Mercedes Sprinter diesel. Thank goodness I noticed while letting the last few drops drip off of the nozzle. (Gas drips like water, pumped diesel is foamy). So I did NOT start the engine!

Gas in a MODERN diesel will quickly cause extensive damage to the fuel system. Diesel is an oil and the moving parts (such as the 18,000 psi high pressure fuel pump) depend on it for lubrication. Gasoline is a solvent and causes immediate metal to metal contact with subsequent destruction.

It cost me $300 for a tow (I made the mistake of telling Coachnet what happened...) and $1,000 to drop and drain the tank, replace the fuel filter, backflush the fuel system to remove any errant gas, etc. The dealer told me that when people drive with gas in the Sprinter, the repair bill is around $11,000.

Ultimately the mistake was my fault, but come on BP! Two tow companies and three shops told me it happens several times per month at that very station! That means it happens at BP stations everywhere there are found.

Upon arriving home here in Oregon, I phoned my local MB dealer and told the story. They replied with a story of a fuel delivery truck accidentally dropping gasoline into the diesel tank at a local gas station. They it damaged 25 cars, five of which ended up with them for repair, and ten at the BMW dealer. They said it happened TWICE within a few months! Now I'm scared to put fuel in my tank!

I think I will just give a very quick shot of fuel, then check the drops for foamy diesel and not clear gas....
Are you saying there was only one hose/nozzle to use at the pump?

These are what the BP pumps look like in our area of PA.
Yes, the GAS nozzle is GREEN and the DIESEL is BLACK.

BUT... to allow fuel to flow from the GREEN nozzle you must push one of the 87-89-93 buttons which are a clear indicator of gasoline.

Was the pump you used different?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 09-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #16
Site Team

We still have a few stations with pumps where you lift the lever after you remove the nozzle. I can see where it would be easy to assume that the green nozzle was diesel and remove the nozzle and instinctively lift the lever, and dispense gasoline into the vehicle.

Luckily, the diesel and gasoline pumps are in separate areas of the couple of stations I know about that have those type pumps.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:35 AM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
We still have a few stations with pumps where you lift the lever after you remove the nozzle. I can see where it would be easy to assume that the green nozzle was diesel and remove the nozzle and instinctively lift the lever, and dispense gasoline into the vehicle.

Luckily, the diesel and gasoline pumps are in separate areas of the couple of stations I know about that have those type pumps.
We have some of them here also. (not BP)

On the ones here, you still have to select a grade of gas before/after lifting the lever.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 09-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #18

I have nightmares about misfuelling, thanks for increasing my anxiety.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:44 AM   #19
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I never buy at BP and thank goodness I use gas and am very alert when stopping to fill truck to make sure I have picked the gas nozzel and not diesel. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
Old 09-24-2020, 10:00 AM   #20
Site Team

Honestly, this is my biggest problem. Which version of unleaded would you like? Some say they are for flex-fuel vehicles only. Some say they are fine for any cars that are 2001 or newer.

Closed Thread

Tags
gas, pump