RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 06-10-2020, 12:14 PM   #1

Bicycle rack

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or input about a bicycle rack called Jack it ? Itís a front mounted one that attaches to the tongue
Ontario camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #2

I just installed one this year. Havent used it yet due to covid-19, but it seems very robust and was easy to install.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #3

We used one on our previous camper. We liked it. However, it wasnt perfect. We had one that broke. We replaced it with a new one, so I dont want to make it seem like I am bad mouthing it. It worked as advertised.

My personal opinion, the issue with my particular unit was from using a bike cover. We would mount the bikes on the rack, put the cover on the bikes, and off we went. We did this everytime. I think the cover created a very large amount of wind resistance. Not sure exactly when it failed, but at one point I looked in the rear view mirror and saw that something was wrong with the bikes. It was as if someone pushed the bikes straight back (front of the trailer toward rear of trailer) and pushed them right up against the front. The bikes didnt fall off, there was no issue other than needing a new Jack-It (which we did get). I have never heard of anyone else having a failure, but that was our experience. That was the one and only issue we had with it.

I would suggest ratcheting straps, and a whole bunch of pool noodles. The noodles can be placed strategically to help prevent rubbing. The bikes will have a tendency to rub against the jack it, and wear through the paint and begin to gouge the metal. So we would cut 12" sections of the noodles, and slice it like a hotdog bun. Then fit the noodles around the bike frame, forks, etc. Strap the bikes together with the straps, and we never saw any more "wear spots" on the bikes

Old 06-10-2020, 02:25 PM   #4

I have one with about 12k miles on it and the square tubing (slip fit female) where the lower piece holds the upper 'Y' piece is cracking. I'm going to take it off, weld, re-enforce the damaged area and put it back on.

It took some screwing around to get it initially set up but after that it works quickly and well for me.

Not a glowing review but if I had to do it over again I would buy the same unit and re-enforce the area before install because I like how it works.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #5

We have one for our 2608BS. The bracket arm that comes with the rack puts the bicycles too close to the nose of the trailer so the dealer installed a straight bracket (ref attached pics). However, the straight bracket was only held together with a few spot welds so I had a local body shop fix the welds. Havenít been able to use it yet but it looks like it will hold up to the stresses of carrying 2 bikes down the road much better now after the fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4B69F1ED-3583-4E92-BECD-E0AAE5A74A89.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	231234   Click image for larger version

Name:	B36751D1-38EA-4FC8-9028-9E47E8997628.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	231235   Click image for larger version

Name:	8200DC79-81ED-4D19-87EE-4573992F2E82.jpg
Views:	22