Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #81

My personal pet peeve is the drunk issues. It might be loud, it might come to your fire uninvited, it might cut through your spot, and it might try to come in your camper at 2:00am because they thought it was theirs. This is a true story, we were camping last Memorial Day weekend and the drunks were in rare form. At 2:00am, someone is trying to get into our camper. Trying their keys, rattling the door, everything. I jump up and get to the door in time to see them wandering off.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #82
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurph View Post
My personal pet peeve is the drunk issues. It might be loud, it might come to your fire uninvited, it might cut through your spot, and it might try to come in your camper at 2:00am because they thought it was theirs. This is a true story, we were camping last Memorial Day weekend and the drunks were in rare form. At 2:00am, someone is trying to get into our camper. Trying their keys, rattling the door, everything. I jump up and get to the door in time to see them wandering off.
Woooah! That guy's lucky someone didn't clobber him. I would take that as attempted home invasion...I would be getting DH swinging, ask questions later.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #83
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Done that at Thompson Speedway many many years ago. Luckily, the camper I walked into, I knew them. I stand there wondering why someone is in my bed when I hear "Matt! Wrong Camper!"
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #84
Always Learning

Quote:
You don't need to be drunk to get confused...

My 9 year old daughter fell asleep on the way back from the boardwalk. We woke her up at the truck and started tending to my son and the crap in the truck bed. We look up and she's talking toward us/away from the camper next to us! Turns out, she was almost to the steps by the time she realized something was wrong.

And, she wasn't drunk - she only had a couple of drinks!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #85
Phat Phrog

We have friends that take their....non FR rig camping too. We always try to set up our camp sights so we have awning to awning....that way both our doors open into our
Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #86
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
We have friends that take their....non FR rig camping too. We always try to set up our camp sights so we have awning to awning....that way both our doors open into our
Oops hit send too soon....open into our site. This creates our own little camping ambiance. The thing I hate is they have two large dogs that I love....but she lets them out....ties them up....then goes back inside and the entire time....they are barking at everything. Now I know that these rigs a are not soundproof.....can you not hear your dog barking and barking and barking!! Once we went on a Harley ride and she left one tied to its stake in the CG. The rules specifically said not to leave your pet tied up outside and then leave. When I reminded her of the rule...she says....oh they won't even know. Sure enough they get a phone call from the CG saying people were complaining about her dog barking. The CG eventually had to untie her dog and take it to the office to wait for us to get back so my friend could get her dog. I mean really?? When obvious rules are posted.....WHY do people think they don't matter! Plus she never sticks her head put to quiet them down! Ok I am done.....did I mention that was a pet peeve?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #87

You folks are talking me out of buying a camper.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #88
MI Camperz

Maybe you could hint that since you're busy out riding, etc., she get some dog sitters at home or boarding for a while. Some dogs thrive in a good boarding place that has play time, etc.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You don't need to be drunk to get confused...

My 9 year old daughter fell asleep on the way back from the boardwalk. We woke her up at the truck and started tending to my son and the crap in the truck bed. We look up and she's talking toward us/away from the camper next to us! Turns out, she was almost to the steps by the time she realized something was wrong.

And, she wasn't drunk - she only had a couple of drinks!
Friends of ours have an almost 3 year old. On Saturday, he walked up to a popup that looks JUST like theirs and tried to enter it.

Re: people complaining about kids being loud... I have to say drunks trump that. In the middle of the day, we'll let our kids ride their bikes, hike trails, etc. They have strict orders not to scream or enter other campsites, but I have a hard time telling them in general to "be quiet". Let them get out their energy while OUTSIDE, and then they'll relax in the evening and morning during quiet hours.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Maybe you could hint that since you're busy out riding, etc., she get some dog sitters at home or boarding for a while. Some dogs thrive in a good boarding place that has play time, etc.
We leave our barker at home with a sitter.

Our dog we take camping, he will bark at a bird that flies by (he's obsessed with birds) or a kid that rides by on their bike (he's a herder), but other than the occasional bark he is quiet. Just part of being a dog.

previous owner of
Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #91
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
You folks are talking me out of buying a camper.
Ha! Truth be told- one of my biggest pet peeves are "pet peeve" threads. Sadly, it's like watching a train wreck. The peeves are all the same, the situations are usually standard and then the fights start because someone takes offense to what someone else says. And, no matter what- we all come across looking like angry curmudgeons.

That said- pick a topic and anyone can name off pet peeves about it: work, grocery getting, picnics, parks, potlucks, etc.

The pet peeves all resolve down to one thing - a lack of respect for those around you. The end.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #92
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb74 View Post

We leave our barker at home with a sitter.

Our dog we take camping, he will bark at a bird that flies by (he's obsessed with birds) or a kid that rides by on their bike (he's a herder), but other than the occasional bark he is quiet. Just part of being a dog.
My two poodles bark when left inside....and you can hear them from the outside. I know that is just as bothersome too....I wouldn't want to camp next to a barking dog that is in a rig either.....but that can't be helped. I feel bad as they are in their kennel.....I too am thinking about leaving our barker with my daughter when we go to Goshen for a week. Bodz I love the idea of a CG having something for pets! I will look for such an amenity for her!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #93

The pros outweigh any cons.

My husband had his guitar out on Saturday afternoon, serenading much of the campground. He was worried about being too loud. But in all honesty, most people walking by paused to listen. He'd stop and they'd tell him to keep going.

previous owner of
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
My two poodles bark when left inside....and you can hear them from the outside. I know that is just as bothersome too....I wouldn't want to camp next to a barking dog that is in a rig either.....but that can't be helped. I feel bad as they are in their kennel.....I too am thinking about leaving our barker with my daughter when we go to Goshen for a week. Bodz I love the idea of a CG having something for pets! I will look for such an amenity for her!
We really tried with our barker. But when I look at everything else... she is old and has trouble getting in the camper, can't even jump on the bed, she has so much anxiety.... it just makes sense to leave her home. I can't be selfish just because *I* want her there. I have to think of her health and other people's sanity. LOL.

previous owner of
Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #95
Mod free 5er

Quote:
We really tried with our barker. But when I look at everything else... she is old and has trouble getting in the camper, can't even jump on the bed, she has so much anxiety.... it just makes sense to leave her home. I can't be selfish just because *I* want her there. I have to think of her health and other people's sanity. LOL.
Make a Velcro muzzle so they can't open their mouths?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Make a Velcro muzzle so they can't open their mouths?
The dog or other people?

previous owner of
Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #97
Mod free 5er

Quote:
The dog or other people?
Both if applicable.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #98
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
I'm starting to rethink my Goshen Rally adventure. I may get sent out on a rail!
Ummmmm hello !
Why you think I started this thread?

I need to know what we can do where and around whom......
I've got a list started along with a map.

Collecting data
Old 04-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #99
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post
1. Running out of beer and realizing I'm too buzzed to drive and get more.
2. Plugging into 240V.
3. Realizing I need a tool and knowing exactly where it is, and where it is not.
4. Plugging into 240V.
5. Oh, and the last one, plugging into 240V.
U crack me up
Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #100
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Ummmmm hello !
Why you think I started this thread?

I need to know what we can do where and around whom......
I've got a list started along with a map.

Collecting data
Sly Dude!

What to do/not to do: As an FYI in Amish areas: Their religious beliefs prohibit personal photography. Avoid taking pictures of them out of courtesy to them. I think back pictures or pictures without their faces are okay.