Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 11:38 PM   #1

Brother's solar panels stolen

My brother stores his 5th wheel at a storage facility. One of those places that have garage type storage units. There is a small area at the rear where there's room for maybe 8 RVs. No shore power, so about once a week, he breaks at his folding panels & charges his batteries. The place is like a fortress, but he locks them to the RV with a braided cable lock anyway. So he comes back to disconnect & store the panels, and they are gone. Power line to the RV is cut, as well as the braided cable. Cameras are everywhere, and sure enough, clear as day, they have the thief on video. Someone with a storage unit in the facility. Now he's going to file a report with the police, but doesn't think it'll get 5 minutes of their attention. I on the other hand, think it's going to be such an easy slam dunk, they'll be happy to get right on it.

But what do I know?

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
My brother stores his 5th wheel at a storage facility. One of those places that have garage type storage units. There is a small area at the rear where there's room for maybe 8 RVs. No shore power, so about once a week, he breaks at his folding panels & charges his batteries. The place is like a fortress, but he locks them to the RV with a braided cable lock anyway. So he comes back to disconnect & store the panels, and they are gone. Power line to the RV is cut, as well as the braided cable. Cameras are everywhere, and sure enough, clear as day, they have the thief on video. Someone with a storage unit in the facility. Now he's going to file a report with the police, but doesn't think it'll get 5 minutes of their attention. I on the other hand, think it's going to be such an easy slam dunk, they'll be happy to get right on it.

But what do I know?

Tuckerdog1
Contact the police. With the video it should be an easy bust. If they refuse to act, then you will need to apply some frontier justice. Bold/stupid criminal.
bhauskne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:08 AM   #3
World Wide Wanderer

Thieves don't care about anything anymore. We have a job site with security cameras on all sides. Had ~$30,000 worth of stuff stolen right in front of the security camera. So far no leads.

I use game cameras at home for security on a remote barn, got pictures of a couple of clowns trying to steal an old truck. Gave the pictures to the sheriff's department, they knew exactly who they were. Already been picked up and charged with something else and bonded out. Sheriff said they probably won't be charged with what they did at our place.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Thieves don't care about anything anymore. We have a job site with security cameras on all sides. Had ~$30,000 worth of stuff stolen right in front of the security camera. So far no leads.

I use game cameras at home for security on a remote barn, got pictures of a couple of clowns trying to steal an old truck. Gave the pictures to the sheriff's department, they knew exactly who they were. Already been picked up and charged with something else and bonded out. Sheriff said they probably won't be charged with what they did at our place.

Aaron
once they are told they were seen at your farm I bet they wont be back
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #5

no matter where your at nothing is safe city or country , to may people would rather steal and hooked on truck then work. A friebd of mine what two old steel wagon wheels to make the end of his drive with about a ft buried in cement and someone stole them late at night for scrap
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Yep it it's out there its going to get stolen. It's sad that we can not trust any one any more. Sad thing is the justice has gone by the way side. Latter RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #7

There is nothing lower than a thief except maybe a drug dealer. I would wait till he or she comes back and they will.. They can think about just how stupid they are everytime they take a step for the rest of their miserable lives.
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #8
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
once they are told they were seen at your farm I bet they wont be back
Nope, not anymore...

About a mile up the road there is a high school, nearby are some apartments. Someone was breaking in during the daytime, they tracked the miscreants back to the high school. Charged them, 3 weeks later the same ones got caught in the act at the apartments across the road from the school.

We secure our stuff the best we can and keep the insurance paid up.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel