Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2022, 09:02 AM   #1

Bumps in the night

We are traveling in a FR Flagstaff Ultralight. During 2 trips we have had "bumps in the night". Sounds like something falling on the roof then sliding for a couple seconds. Happened 3 times one night in West Virginia and last night it happened twice in PA. Sounded like a limb fell on the roof. A loud bump the trailer rocked and the sliding sound. Both nights it was raining with little wind? Went out several times to check and found nothing?

Could it be squirrels jumping from way above in the trees? Anyone experience this?
sdp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:10 AM   #2
Site Team

I've had limbs, pine cones, hickory nuts, hail, acorns fall on my trailer.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1234 View Post
A loud bump the trailer rocked and the sliding sound. Both nights it was raining with little wind? Went out several times to check and found nothing?

Could it be squirrels jumping from way above in the trees? Anyone experience this?
You might have 'flying squirrels' hunting a bug or acorn that was on your roof. Other squirrels only hunt in the daytime but flying squirrels are nocturnal. Or perhaps you have an owl hunting in the area.

Could be almost anything. By the time you get outside, your intruder will have heard you and taken off. If you're really curious, you could stick a 'game camera' up there to see what's 'thumping.'
Old 10-01-2022, 10:35 AM   #4

Did you have your awning out? If yes then that was the "auto dump" feature. As it rains the awning will collect water and eventually one side or the other will slide down to dump the water. It can be quite loud and will rock the trailer. Has happened to me a 3am.

If you want to keep your awning out you should manually tilt down one side so the water drains all the time and doesn't collect. Depending on your awning you might need to loosen a knob and then pull down on the tube then retighten.

Jim M.
jimmarako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1234 View Post
Anyone experience this?
Almost every time camping when parked under a tree.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #6

I had squirrels dropping nuts on the roof once and then trying g to figure out how to get them.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
Did you have your awning out? If yes then that was the "auto dump" feature. As it rains the awning will collect water and eventually one side or the other will slide down to dump the water. It can be quite loud and will rock the trailer. Has happened to me a 3am.

If you want to keep your awning out you should manually tilt down one side so the water drains all the time and doesn't collect. Depending on your awning you might need to loosen a knob and then pull down on the tube then retighten.

Jim M.
I believe this is what was happening. I'm so glad I asked. Tonight it's raining and I have my awning tilted. Thanks
sdp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote