Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #1

Campsite cleanliness

Although most campgrounds have a caretaker and Park Rangers, at least in the campgrounds I camp at, I always find the campsite could use a good cleaning up. Not big stuff, but things like cigarette butts, soda can pop tops, candy wrappers etc. (For some reason, campers don't think cigarette butts or pop tops is litter.) I usually spend about 30 to 45 minutes on the second day I'm on a camp site walking around with a small pail and a pair of "grabbers" and try and pick up anything that doesn't belong there. I never see any else doing it, but I feel that a camp site should be free of litter and not left to someone else to pick up after them. Do any of you feel the same way? I would be interested to know. I always scolded my kids when they were small children that littering was unacceptable and if you drop it, you pick it up.
Jim
jjdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #2

Im with you on this. By far, most campsites we have stayed at are litter free, but, every now and then, we do find it necessary to clean up a bit. When we leave, we leave it clean.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Yep, the nails around the campfire ring really bothered us especially when the kids were camping with us. 2nd on my list is dog poo left for other campers. I always seemed to be lucky enough to get a camp site who's previous occupant had a rottweiler or great dane!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #4

CW has folding rakes and I'm trying not to buy one!
What's next? A broom to sweep the pad and a couple pruners for those not-so-attractive shrubs? LOL!
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #5

We stayed in a small RV Park in Quartzsite, AZ & the owner had died so the whole place was needing attention & my wife said this is depressing. However after I worked my magic on our spot - she never made that comment again!

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Tinkerer and Putterer

Actually we do carry a broom to sweep off the pad. It pulls double duty to help whack our mat clean if needed prior to packing it up
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #7

We had a child who stepped on a nail (through a shoe) and another who stepped on a fork if you can believe it. Now when kids are around I pull the magnent on a stick(I am sure it has a more formal name) out of the basement and walk the plot.

P.S. I agree with you.
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #8

take only pictures, leave only footprints
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #9

While the park people do a good job of cleaning sites, they cannot take the time to pick up all of the little items. I agree that cigarette butts and beer tabs are far too common. It seems that drunk smokers are pigs.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #10

I once really hurt myself on a shrub that was too close to the picnic table, so now I carry gardening shears, but I have not had to use them.

Yes, most campers are considerate people, and it only takes a few in a CG who think that they really want to have a drunken party to ruin the place.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #11

I'm glad so many of you considerate campers agree with me and some very good comments have been made, especially about nails. It irks me to see nails sticking out of trees just waiting for someone to walk into them, like children, if they don't know they're there. I really don't see the necessity to put a nail or screw into a tree.
And yes, I do carry a folding rake just in case the caretaker or Park Rangers didn't have the time to clean the campsite before I occupy it. (Besides, I could use the exercise!) It doesn't take much to be a considerate camper.

"Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints" was a huge sign at the entrance to a campground in a State Park in Rhode Island. I saw that wood carved sign 45 years ago and I still remember it. It should be the "Golden Rule" for campers.
Jim
Old 03-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #12

I like to leave every site I stay at a little better than I found it.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
Mike:

That's my sentiment also.

I see you're from upstate N.Y. I am also. Poughkeepsie. Where you located?

Jim
Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #14

Mike:
Send me a PM so we can connect offline via email so we can talk. It's easier for me than using the message area.
Jim
Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #15

Agreed some could do a much better job at leaving the site better than they found it. We have two dogs and I don't understand why people don't pick up after them.

And why so many smokers think the world is their ashtray is beyond me!!!
FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #16

As a retired scouter we always told the youth to leave the campsite in better shape them when they found it. Before we left camp we would all line up and sweep the site picking up any thing that was left on the ground.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #17

We have our kids trained pretty well to not only help clean up trash they find at the campsite or on a river (we've taken part in kayaking trash clean-ups), but they also know to pick up any trash we may drop or the wind carries.

Now... why they leave trash on the FLOOR at home is beyond me. LOL.

When we camp, we prefer to use cans instead of bottles. Lighter and less trash and easier to clean up.

I will give the area a visual sweep for obvious dangers sticking out of the ground, but it still makes me nervous there could be something to hurt feet. We wear shoes all the time (fire ants and snakes will make you do that), but I have two dogs to worry about, too.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
Same here. Makes me wonder who are the ones who do the opposite?
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #19

What frosts my cake are the A-holes that break beer bottles and leave cigarette buts around the site and in the fire ring and the grounds crew that doesn't bother to pick up after they leave.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
What frosts my cake are the A-holes that break beer bottles and leave cigarette buts around the site and in the fire ring and the grounds crew that doesn't bother to pick up after they leave.
Yes, I have found pieces of glass many times while cleaning up and that really scares me. I camp alone and never walk around barefoot but what about the other campers that will occupy the site after I leave and have small kids?
I'm a smoker but I have never thrown a butt on the ground for someone else to clean up. I always use an ashtray.
As many have said, leave the site in better shape then when you arrived. That's a good rule of thumb! It's all a matter of common sense.