Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #1

Cell phones and gas pumps (again!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarbob View Post
I am a retire Fire Chief tat hates propane but I use mine to run the refrigerator when driving. I do shut off the refrigerator when fueling and most important, put away the cell phone. I have seen many gas pump fires started by cell phones.
Make sure your propane monitor is good. I should know how they check it at the dealers but I do not. Also, RVs have their propane tanks near ground level and leaks in lines will leak downward because propane is much heavier than air. It's not like natural gas where gas can float and fill the RV. I would run it with gas to keep your meds cool.
I find it hard to believe that you have personaly (Seen) Cell phone fires at Gas pumps! Maybe on the Net,but after a few I would not hang around a Gas station! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I find it hard to believe that you have personaly (Seen) Cell phone fires at Gas pumps! Maybe on the Net,but after a few I would not hang around a Gas station! Youroo!!
Thought myth busters de bunked that myth as they couldn't get a cell phone to remotely ignite anything...
"False"
http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

"Busted"
Watch "MythBusters Cell Phone Gas Station Myth" on YouTube

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.
The last man standing also has a sharpie
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Thought myth busters de bunked that myth as they couldn't get a cell phone to remotely ignite anything...
"False"
snopes.com: Cell Phone Use at Gas Pump

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.
I think I saw that, too. The way so many people are helpless without their cell phones, half the country would have blown up by now.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Refrigerator While Driving

Quote:

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.

I saw that episode. It was inline with my own understanding. Modern cell phones are solid-state. Nothing in them that can cause a spark.

Static electricity on the other hand is a real problem. It's possible that cell phone use can build a static charge in someone (I know my ipad does if I use it while it's charging) and the subsequent static discharge can cause ignition.

Of course there's an easy fix for static discharge. Just gotta ground yourself somewhere away from the pump before then returning to the pump.

To take a slight tangent (i.e. hijack) pumps here on the Ontario side don't have latches anymore, so you have to hold the trigger the entire time. I find that when I do that I rarely have any static charge since I'm not moving around.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I saw that episode. It was inline with my own understanding. Modern cell phones are solid-state. Nothing in them that can cause a spark.

Static electricity on the other hand is a real problem. It's possible that cell phone use can build a static charge in someone (I know my ipad does if I use it while it's charging) and the subsequent static discharge can cause ignition.

Of course there's an easy fix for static discharge. Just gotta ground yourself somewhere away from the pump before then returning to the pump.

To take a slight tangent (i.e. hijack) pumps here on the Ontario side don't have latches anymore, so you have to hold the trigger the entire time. I find that when I do that I rarely have any static charge since I'm not moving around.
But the phone used was an old antiquated nokia faaaar from modern.

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #6

I am under the impression that the cell phone + gas station = explosions & fire was debunked.
Most likely cause, static electricity created by the driver getting in and out of the car seat to retrieve the phone while fueling.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But the phone used was an old antiquated nokia faaaar from modern.

TURBS

Goshen is my playground.

I may be young at heart, but I'm still old enough to consider 'old' cell phones to be like these: http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/22/tech/m...us-old-phones/
Old 02-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I am under the impression that the cell phone + gas station = explosions & fire was debunked.
Most likely cause, static electricity created by the driver getting in and out of the car seat to retrieve the phone while fueling.

Yup , cel phone debunked , static electricity not so much.
There's a standard oilfield policy down here that bans all plastic containers , buckets , jugs or whatever on location due to static electricity ignition. They do use large 300 gal plastic totes but they have a grounding system.
I have never personally seen ignition from a plastic container but I have seen enough training videos and you tubes.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
I may be young at heart, but I'm still old enough to consider 'old' cell phones to be like these: Before they got smart: When cellphones were hideous - CNN.com
I remember the old brick I carried for my work like is was last week.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

My first was a Motorola Flip:

That thing was the size of a Kleenex box.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
RKR

Gosh , you guys are old.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
Gosh , you guys are old.

Hey! I'm (technically) still in my 30's.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Gosh , you guys are old.
Did I ever tell ya bout how back in the day you would need a dime to work a pay phone or make a person to person freebie?

Quote:
Hey! I'm (technically) still in my 30's.
I see I am not the only one that uses Cailf's "new math"....
Old 02-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Did I ever tell ya bout how back in the day you would need a dime to work a pay phone or make a person to person freebie?

Pay phone ? Never heard of such a thing , lol.
Truth is my first cel phone was company issued "bag phone " that stayed in the pickup.
Just don't tell anybody...
Old 02-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Truth is my first cel phone was company issued "bag phone " that stayed in the pickup.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Here you go! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	46073  
Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #17

Thanks to the (Mod) who moved this from (Refer.on while driving),but I am not the (OP) of this (New) CellPhone. I just doubt the post info about Cell Fires! Youroo!!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #18

The original cell phones were analog (over the air POTS) and transmitted at 4 watts which is why they were huge. They probably could spark gas fumes under the right circumstances. That is also why some people had medical problems with a transmitter like that close to their head. Modern digital phones use much less power.

An urban legend is too much fun to ever kill.

USN Retired (26 years), but not Retired retired
Home Port Orlando
Narboza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #19
WFD

Yooroo....I was gonna post when I first saw this in the fridge thread... I am an active Firefighter...completed my 24th year today, currently on a truck that does just under 5000 calls a year...and I have NEVER been to a fire at a gas pump as a result of cell phone use...let alone "many". With that kind of call volume, I think I would have seen a few over the years. As you say and others have said...gas stations would be blowing up all across the country if such was the case...they would be violent enough fires to make national headlines.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #20

Thanks,some things are just thrown out there like Fairy Dust,but we can believe or not believe! Youroo!!