Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
Site Team

Couponing

Anyone here that does it? My wife works 3rd shift at a gas station so when they get the papers delivered on Monday morning, she is able to take coupons out of the unsold Sunday papers. We used to get a lot of good ones but a couple of years ago when the “Extreme Couponing” shows started coming out, it kinda ruined it. It seems like the companies just don’t print as many as they used to. We used to be able to cut a few dozen out of each paper. Now we are lucky if we get 4 or 5. It’s almost not worth it anymore.

What’s worse is those couponing shows are so extremely fake. I just watched one the other day where a lady bought $700 worth of sports drinks, pickles, sweet and low coffee creamer, paper towels and mentos. Then she used her coupons to bring the total down to under $10. So she “saved” almost $700 and didn’t buy any actual food to make a meal out of. She’s going to use the money she saved to fix the roof on her house.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

They don't because if everyone did coupons they'd go broke! Lol
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #3

My wife has a binder with plastic page protectors with slots and has the pages organized by aisle in the grocery stores. I agree the coupons are not out like they used to but to save .75 here and .50 there adds up quick....of couse no where near the $700. for all the stuff minus food. What do you do with a $100 of mentos??? LOL

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
Always Learning

We rarely use coupons. We have specific brands of stuff that we like and not often do the coupons align with them.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:36 PM   #5
B47

We are prettry much Kroger shoppers and use their Reward Card each time. About a year ago, Kroger started sending us a coupon book each month that contains coupons for items based on our past buying trips.

We even get ones that give us $2-3 off our bill sometimes. That's how we go.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
We are prettry much Kroger shoppers and use their Reward Card each time. About a year ago, Kroger started sending us a coupon book each month that contains coupons for items based on our past buying trips.

That makes alot of business sense and certainly adds to the "loyalty" of frequent customers. Plus sometimes I see my wife spending a dollar in gas to save .50 on a coupon.....

Kevin
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenttotrailer View Post
That makes alot of business sense and certainly adds to the "loyalty" of frequent customers. Plus sometimes I see my wife spending a dollar in gas to save .50 on a coupon.....

Kevin

Yep - spending a dollar to save .50 is false economy IMO. However in the case of our Kroger buying we are going to their store anyway,coupon or not.

I remember some of my Aunts clipping coupons from the Sunday papers for various grocery stores scattered around town - even as a kid,I couldn't understand how they were saving money.

I guess my Uncles knew even back then what the saying " A happy wife makes a happy life" meant.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:

We have a grocery store rewards card that gives us money off gasoline. For every X number of dollars spent at the store, we get a few cents off per gallon. We have to use it every couple of months before the rewards expire.

The last time we used it we got 25 gallons of gas for about $16.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #9

I just got hooked on eBates......
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We have a grocery store rewards card that gives us money off gasoline. For every X number of dollars spent at the store, we get a few cents off per gallon. We have to use it every couple of months before the rewards expire.

The last time we used it we got 25 gallons of gas for about $16.
I think you are talking about Krogers and their gas program.

We were thinking about trying it,but our Kroger doesn't have pumps. However Kroger is opening one of their new Super Center store or whatever they call it close by - right across from a Wal Mart big box store that also has a Murphys so we might start comparing the two - might be interesting.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #11

We use the Kroger fuel rewards all the time!!! It does feel good to see the price at the pump under $2 when we fill our pickup to go camping!! You can earn points for RX refills, gift cards are usually 2x points and sometimes they offer 4x

Last summer their promo was 2x points on Fri Sat and Sun - it all adds up
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
I think you are talking about Krogers and their gas program.

We were thinking about trying it,but our Kroger doesn't have pumps. However Kroger is opening one of their new Super Center store or whatever they call it close by - right across from a Wal Mart big box store that also has a Murphys so we might start comparing the two - might be interesting.
We don't have any Kroger stores in town anymore. They all got bought by Schnucks. The gas card is good at all the Mobil stations in town (there are a couple dozen of them).
Old 03-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #13
Broken Toe

My wife and I make very good money, but to watch her in action, you'd think we are near the poverty level. Every Saturday, we go out to breakfast and the wife will dutifully snip and file her coupons while I read my paper and have my coffee. You should see her face light up when she saves $7 on $100 worth of groceries. I view it as harmless fun for her, but I don't understand what the big attraction is. She gets upset if she fills her gas tank up and then sees a station two cents a gallon less afterwards. I try explain to her that $.02 x her 13 gallon tank equals $.26 in savings. But she don't listen to logic at that point.

I have had to put my foot down about the off-brand stuff, though... I have worked too hard to get where I am to eat off-brand Spaghetti-o's.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote