Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
We did it about 2 yrs ago, and only miss it now & then....not enough to justify $150/mo. We also dumped the $40/mo landline phone..went to the little cellular box that sits on the window sill that lets us use our regular house phones all for $20/mo unlimited minutes.

My reason for keeping a landline is the hard wire to 911. When you dial from a landline, they get your address without you having to talk. From a cell phone, they don't instantly know where you are (from what I understand).
Old 12-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Guys at work give me crap cause we dont have cable or satellite, and how I have 200mb of data on my phone, and they really can't believe my 13 year old daughter doesnt have a cell phone.
Same here. I JUST upgraded from a 200 MB plan. Don't need it. We don't stay glued to our phone like a teenage girl (which, by the way, I don't think they need anyway...so don't feel bad there either) so I never needed it.

No TV at all here for almost five years now. Mine was only about $80/month, but it got watched maybe four hours a month. Always seemed to end up on the same three or four channels and most times just got turned off because there was nothing on I wanted to watch at that particular time. TiVo may have helped with that, but I never got it. Between internet, Netflix, and DVD we really haven't missed it at all.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My reason for keeping a landline is the hard wire to 911. When you dial from a landline, they get your address without you having to talk. From a cell phone, they don't instantly know where you are (from what I understand).
With Vonage (our ISP phone provider) you set up where your local 911 operator is located and when you dial 911 it goes right to the local 911 operator. Changing where that call goes is as easy as updating any other facet of your profile.

With a Cell phone there is software at the 911 command center that will geo-locate your phone using cell tower triangulation and it will display it on a computer map. My friend's daughter slid off the road in a snowstorm and had no idea were she was. The police were at her car in minutes as the 911 operator was able to see her exact location.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
With Vonage (our ISP phone provider) you set up where your local 911 operator is located and when you dial 911 it goes right to the local 911 operator. Changing where that call goes is as easy as updating any other facet of your profile.

With a Cell phone there is software at the 911 command center that will geo-locate your phone using cell tower triangulation and it will display it on a computer map. My friend's daughter slid off the road in a snowstorm and had no idea were she was. The police were at her car in minutes as the 911 operator was able to see her exact location.

I knew that about the VoIP. I thought there were still some fringe quirks in real rural areas. I had a Vonage line at home for my home office.

Good to hear that about the cell phone calling 911. I didn't realize that they were able to locate you that quickly.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #25
Love My Sunseeker

You all mention the NetFlix and Hulu and stuff. Doesn't the "streaming" run up your gig usage on your internet plan? Or, if you are streaming on an RV park's web site, well, this is an issue that may have been discussed in other threads. Streaming stuff bogs down the internet at RV parks, as they don't pay for that much bandwidth.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
You all mention the NetFlix and Hulu and stuff. Doesn't the "streaming" run up your gig usage on your internet plan? Or, if you are streaming on an RV park's web site, well, this is an issue that may have been discussed in other threads. Streaming stuff bogs down the internet at RV parks, as they don't pay for that much bandwidth.
This is a very valid point when RVing; I think the question was more about "at home" where the bandwidth "runs deep."
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #27
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post

Yep, in the camper we exclusively watch "over the air" TV and DVDs (that we've loaded onto a hard drive and watch thru Roku devices at each TV).