RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 03-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
These can be fascinating. For instance- one I learned just a week ago:

What is generally known as a "Hoodie", and I grew up knowing as a "Kangaroo Sweater" is known in Saskatchewan as a "Bunny Hug"

Cheers
That sent me back to Google.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Some folks would call it the ditch we call it the "baropit" don't split the words and it is used to pull the gravel back to the road after plowing. Many game birds live in that area of the roads.
Thanks, I learn things everyday on this forum.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #23

Interesting book on coyotes by Dan Flores, "Coyote America. A Natural and Supernatural History". Coyotes are an America only animal originating in the southwest. As the population of the USA has grown so has the coyote population. They are now found in 49 states and every major metropolitan area despite an estimated 500,000 being killed in one year by hunting, trapping, poisoning and encounters with automobiles. An estimated 2,000 coyotes live in the greater Chicago area. They have been seen in New York's Central Park. They have hybridized with their closest relative the eastern red wolf. The have their own very effective population control, howling. The more answers they get to singing the fewer pups they have, no answers larger litters. Unlike wolves they can survive as solitary hunters or in small groups.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #24

In my neck of the woods (southern NM) we call it a barditch, and we shoot every coyote we can. We even have huge coyote shooting contests, and still have problems controlling the population.

There are some areas that still use cyanide canisters (feds mainly) and rarely do you see anything posted about it. That, I don't agree with.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:56 PM   #25

We have coyotes, red foxes, bobcats, fisher cats, black bears, plenty of wild birds and whitetail deer. Over forty years we suspect having lost perhaps two domestic cats to wild carnivores.

It's my personal belief that "control" of wild carnivores by shooting, poisoning, and trapping is misguided and counterproductive. I regard it as a gift when i happen to meet one face to face.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbryanpeters View Post
We have coyotes, red foxes, bobcats, fisher cats, black bears, plenty of wild birds and whitetail deer. Over forty years we suspect having lost perhaps two domestic cats to wild carnivores.

It's my personal belief that "control" of wild carnivores by shooting, poisoning, and trapping is misguided and counterproductive. I regard it as a gift when i happen to meet one face to face.
And amen!

I love to here the coyotes sing, can't wait until the nights are warm enough to have a window open. It can be really comical to hear the youngsters sing.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #27
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Found this on Wikipedia after a Google search: "A regional variation of this is termed "barrow pit" in the western United States (especially the Rocky Mountains). The localism describes the ditch along a roadway. These ditches were created to provide the fill to level and crown the roadway and subsequently provided drainage for the road.[2]"

Is my city boy ignorance apparent yet?
Quote:
Some folks would call it the ditch we call it the "baropit" don't split the words and it is used to pull the gravel back to the road after plowing. Many game birds live in that area of the roads.
And the original word was "borrow pit", it is where they "borrowed" dirt to raise the road up above the surrounding terrain.

Coyotes are an amazing animal and cannot be eradicated or really controlled. During a series of studies in a couple of Texas counties several years ago they noted litters with more than 15 pups, typical is 4-7. They will populate an area up to the limits of the available food supply. Unfortunately humans are very sloppy and subdivisions on the edges of town in former agricultural areas are a great food source.

We have 40 acres and currently have 2-3 breeding pairs on our property or the adjacent land. Rule is; as long as they stay away from my house and barns they are free to live.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #28

I did a some research on the subject and found this.
WS personnel do not use M-44s on any property unless requested by the landís owner or manager; a valid written cooperative agreement, agreement for control, Memoranda of Agreement, or other applicable document must be in place."
Old 03-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
In my neck of the woods (southern NM) we call it a barditch, and we shoot every coyote we can. We even have huge coyote shooting contests, and still have problems controlling the population.

There are some areas that still use cyanide canisters (feds mainly) and rarely do you see anything posted about it. That, I don't agree with.
I guess that as per post #23 your coyotes are prolific singers. Assuming I understood that post.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #30

As one who has spent thousands upon thousands of dollars trying to increase whitetail deer habitat and worked hard in the forests to help their habitat, I hate coyotes with a passion unbridled by much anything else. They have far and away outgrown their usefulness. They are a detriment to game animals and if the last one left the earth tonight, I would celebrate.

There were no coyotes east of the MS River until around 18XX or something. Some goober carried some across, reasons unknown. And now.......here they are.

Coyotes howling at dusk to bunch up and hunt, gives me the willies!

And that's my opinion........and not sure what any of this has to do with camping! LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 PM   #31

It may have some camping significance for those that take their pets with them on camping trips.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #32

At my ranch I never let Jake out by himself after dark or before sun up without me and my weapon. I haven't heard the coyotes much the last couple of years because a wolf pack moved in. Wolfs kill coyotes on site
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #33

Quote:
At my ranch I never let Jake out by himself after dark or before sun up without me and my weapon. I haven't heard the coyotes much the last couple of years because a wolf pack moved in. Wolfs kill coyotes on site
I have heard that the wolfs have been getting bolder now that they have some numbers.

Tag time.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #34

Quote:
There must be exceptions. So-called coy dogs here are a wolf cross. I still like them.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackrock View Post
I did a some research on the subject and found this.
WS personnel do not use M-44s on any property unless requested by the landís owner or manager; a valid written cooperative agreement, agreement for control, Memoranda of Agreement, or other applicable document must be in place."
That may be true where you live; however, here in ID evidently there was NO agreement with the land owners, since they were placed on BLM managed lands and the BLM was never notified and they were set withing 350 fee of residential private owned lands.

And not just in this area, but in WY within just the last week, three dogs were killed by M-44 "cyanide bombs" in Wyoming and Idaho. In both cases children were present and put at grave risk of poisoning. This is beyond unacceptable. And a few years ago a dog was killed in TX from one of these bombs.

If the USDA does this haphazardly in other areas where there are known predators, it worries me since I do walk in many areas out here in ID, WY, MT and UT, and even though my dogs are kept on long leashes if there are no signs, who knows what could happen.

The animal has to be in direct contact with the gas cloud when dispersed, and so far, that is what probably has saved some of the kids. However, its coming.

There is a push by some senators to get these things destroyed.

I'm wondering if I can set one off with a .40 round. If I'm on forest land and I see one. And if I'm 25 or more feet away, setting one off will not cause problems but could prevent any possible problems.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
That may be true where you live; however, here in ID evidently there was NO agreement with the land owners, since they were placed on BLM managed lands and the BLM was never notified and they were set withing 350 fee of residential private owned lands.

And not just in this area, but in WY within just the last week, three dogs were killed by M-44 "cyanide bombs" in Wyoming and Idaho. In both cases children were present and put at grave risk of poisoning. This is beyond unacceptable. And a few years ago a dog was killed in TX from one of these bombs.

If the USDA does this haphazardly in other areas where there are known predators, it worries me since I do walk in many areas out here in ID, WY, MT and UT, and even though my dogs are kept on long leashes if there are no signs, who knows what could happen.

The animal has to be in direct contact with the gas cloud when dispersed, and so far, that is what probably has saved some of the kids. However, its coming.

There is a push by some senators to get these things destroyed.

I'm wondering if I can set one off with a .40 round. If I'm on forest land and I see one. And if I'm 25 or more feet away, setting one off will not cause problems but could prevent any possible problems.
You probably could, and good on you!
Old 03-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #37

Update, at least as it pertains to IDAHO....
The use of these devices was supposed to have stopped, but the Dept of Ag evidently screwed up.

Cyanide device on US land broke agency policy - KIFI

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote